• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I fix my dad’s old speakers?

agiletiger

My parents recently moved to where we live. My dad gave me his old sound system. When I took a look at the speakers, they look pretty rough, especially the woofers. Is it worth it to work on these?

C503F2EF-70D5-4233-AECA-57780089860C.jpeg

Lawhaus

I had a similar situation, where I spend a few hundred euros to repair my dad’s old vintage speakers.

They are fine for casual listening ofcourse, but definately not end-game speakers. So after a few months I replaced them already in my main system.

Was it a ‘waste’ to spend that money? I think not, I did it for nostalgic purposes, a reminder to my childhood living at my parents home. I’m keeping the speakers around in my basement, and from time to time I can decide to hook them up again.

Conclusion: if these speakers have emotional value to you, try to keep them around ;)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Why don't you use them as an opportunity to learn a new skill. Re-rolling speakers!

It's really not hard. Find the correct woofer and mid surrounds on eBay, buy two sets (L/R). Often they may come with suitable adhesive. Forget removing/replacing dustcaps, it is easy to do re-rolls without that added drama.

If you decide to give it a go, you'll likely get out of it for $20-$30 or so and have some fun doing it. If it's a disaster, you didn't lose much. They are IIRC, the second series and 2nd from TOTL at the time, so your Dad bought some decent speakers.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a nostalgic weekend project, go for it. If you cannot find a surround repair kit for the drivers just order close replacements from GRS or Dayton Audio.

Besides fixing the surrounds, replace any electrolytic caps in the crossover. The values tend to drift with age.

Some cabinet bracing and damping can also be helpful.

amper42

Major Contributor
I repaired my speakers with new surrounds from Speaker Exchange. https://reconingspeakers.com
It's not difficult. Removed the old surround and cleaned surfaces. Next, placed the new surround on and glued it with
Devcon Home Contact Cement
Itw Global Brands 18045 Waterproof Adhesive Contact Cement, Amber

Let it dry for 24 hours and they're ready to play!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You need to define the value for you. Reconing might make them usable, but not likely to get them close to their glory days even. Before I spent any time, would get some measurement on the mid/tweeter. No use burning money and effort on the speaker if they are shot. If you cannot measure, should be able to get some idea by running a test sweep on them. Would do from about 2-3 kHz up.

Which AR model are they?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Ready for a financial adventure?

Adventures can teach you alot. But adventures, never tell there outcome. If they would, they wouldnt be adventures,

Godataloss

Are the cabinets real wood veneer? Is it in good shape? If so, refurbishing is a no brainer. As has been mentioned, test the upper frequency drivers first. New foam is cheap, replacement drivers not so much.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Normally, I'd look for "similar" drivers and replace them. But the trimmed-off woofer is unusual. And, Acoustic Research speakers were "famous" (especially the AR3) and your speakers appear to be valuable enough (in good condition) for a proper repair.

So, I would at-least get a quote for reconing (or maybe just re-foaming.). You could try DIY re-foaming and if you foul-up it still can be professionally re-foamed or reconed. ;)

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was crazy about those speakers (still am i guess). Acoustic Research. One of those vintage brands that made a difference.

You have the best possible AR loudspeaker you could find - read :no ome tempered with them:

I would find a good loudspeaker service company and repaired them.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe have a read through this thread to see what's involved...

itz_all_about_the_music

Thought you'd appreciate a 1961 AR ad which was touting their quality control.

Attachments

• AR3 1961 ad.jpg
    AR3 1961 ad.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 91

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Were it me and if proper surrounds are available for the woofer (probably easy) and the midwoofer (maybe harder), I would absolutely refurbish them. Rick Cobb is an excellent resource for high-quality surrounds.
Refoaming is (to borrow a term from science and mathematics) straightforward. ;)

Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can! And I can do it. :)

EPI 100V (with Win Burhoe's proprietary wide-bandwidth woofer, refoamed with the "proper" replacement surround from Rick Cobb)

Pioneer HPM-1100 "graphite/polymer" woofer (quite JBL-esque, with a notoriously fragile cone), refoamed with proper under-mount surround sourced from "Gordon W" (at audiokarma).

Before (undergoing CAT scan)

After

Hope this is inspiring to the OP, @agiletiger :)

ta240

Major Contributor
I'm 60% thumbs, so if I can replace speaker surrounds then anyone can.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I "re-foamed" 3 of the four woofers in my Boston Acoustics T1030's several years ago; replaced the fourth outright. It was not hard and restored the sound of the units such that I kept using them for a few more years. I'm not the most "handy" guy yet I was able to do a credible job. As with most things, my third attempt went better than the first!

OP
A

agiletiger

I "re-foamed" 3 of the four woofers in my Boston Acoustics T1030's several years ago; replaced the fourth outright. It was not hard and restored the sound of the units such that I kept using them for a few more years. I'm not the most "handy" guy yet I was able to do a credible job. As with most things, my third attempt went better than the first!
When my dad bought these, he was trying to decide between the AR and a Boston Acoustics - don’t remember which model.

Flak

Industry Insider
I'm not sure that Acoustic Research did... but Boston Acoustics used ferrofluid for tweeters and some midrange drivers.
If so, it has probably dried up and needs to be replaced... not that cheap and easy

Top Bottom