• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I eq my Revel F36 based on spinorama and in room response?

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hey guys, something I've kind of wondered about since getting these speakers....not based on any subjective deficiency I've noticed, but rather just based on spin data and the corresponding in room response measurements. I assume due in part to their 2.5 way design and lack of a dedicated midrange, one weakness I see in the spin and resulting in room response is in the area right around 1500 Hz:
Spin%2B-%2BRevel%2BConcerta2%2BF36.png

Here is my in room response, measured at 6 locations across a 10 ft wide seating area. You can see that the dip around 1500 Hz is consistent:
LF36 ALL SEATS AND AVG DEQ.jpg

So my question is, should a bit of eq be applied to the area between say 1200-3KHz to smooth out the dip, or is this likely to have a poor affect on sound quality? Any thoughts? This dip is present in both speakers and prevalent across all seating. As per the legend, the dark brown line is the average of all the measurements, simply moved up to see better.

This is one area in the spin where the dedicated three way designs such as F208 seem to perform a lot better.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is hard to say, and that's why Amir always insist speakers can be corrected only in the range of frequencies where on-axis and off-axis profiles match. Which is not the case around 1.500Hz, as you said.

If you boosst around 1.500Hz, you'll have too much energy on-axis.

But you can try it nevertheless and see if you like it better.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It makes sense to EQ. As @Pio2001 showed in his recent thread, in-room speaker response tends to follow sound power, so a moderate adjustment would work without making them sound too bright.

OP
Bear123

Bear123

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Adjusting this area if I choose to should be pretty easy, and not too terribly difficult to switch back and forth(not instantly or quickly though).

I have the Audyssey smart phone app which allows customization so I should be able to setup a custom curve to fill this area in a bit. I can save it as a preset in order to try with and without. Honestly not sure if I want to go through the trouble to do it, and the time required to critically listen and compare. I am off work for a few more days though so we'll see. Thanks Covid.

aarons915

Forum Donor
Hey guys, something I've kind of wondered about since getting these speakers....not based on any subjective deficiency I've noticed, but rather just based on spin data and the corresponding in room response measurements. I assume due in part to their 2.5 way design and lack of a dedicated midrange, one weakness I see in the spin and resulting in room response is in the area right around 1500 Hz:

So my question is, should a bit of eq be applied to the area between say 1200-3KHz to smooth out the dip, or is this likely to have a poor affect on sound quality? Any thoughts? This dip is present in both speakers and prevalent across all seating. As per the legend, the dark brown line is the average of all the measurements, simply moved up to see better.

This is one area in the spin where the dedicated three way designs such as F208 seem to perform a lot better.

We don't have the F36 on this site yet but I'm sure the F35 is similar in that the deficiency is in the vertical plane, on-axis and horizontal is fine. So I think if you boosted that range it would sound bright because now the direct sound and sidewall reflections would have a boost in that range. How I understand the research is even if there is a dip in the vertical plane, perceptually you won't notice it much because you're still getting the information through the direct sound and sidewall reflections.

Hipper

I'd be more concerned with what's going on at your listening positions lower down, say 500Hz and below.

This is where your measurements trump any spinorama results. You should only show the 0-500Hz on the graph plus use 'no smoothing' and adjust the SPL range (say to 55-80dB) so that the peaks and nulls are clearly seen. You are unlikely to get it perfect at all seats but either choose the main listening position as the benchmark or make settings that give a reasonable performance at all placings.

Once you've repaired whatever damage your room has done in this region you can look at the rest of the frequency response.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
That looks pretty good to me for having been measured that broadly. You may be able to fill that dip simply by adding a little toe-in and re-measuring.

Interesting that you do not have the typical sloping down response. Contrary to the idea above, it could be that you already have quite a bit of toe-in. Do you? Or do you have a really live room?

For reference, here are my F2106s measured with the MMM all around the MLP. I changed the scale and smoothing to match yours for easier comparison.

F206 Stereo MMM Audyssey 1-6 65dB Scale.png

astrex342

i would be cautious against eqing high frequencies based on reflections and sound power, when direct sound is fine. The ear works as a directional filter, and reacts to sound coming from diffrent directions diffrently especially at high frequencies.
Therefore, you may be messing with the soundstage as you adjust based on reflections.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Here are my F36 at 150cm distance in room
1617557217802.png

and 2 m and angles vs Spinorama
1617557301083.png

1617557469365.png

Speakers on d"ifferent walls" long and short. 120from shortwall, 138cm from longwall
1617557657893.png

Compared with reference speakers from the web
1617558019763.png

I think it sounds best , more natural with no room optimisation above 1000 hz-. Some boost in the mid range brings more body to vocals and guitars, combined with some relaxed treble. White plot below
1617559856314.png

Attachments

• 1617557365943.png
    1617557365943.png
    539.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 1617557404327.png
    1617557404327.png
    706.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Top Bottom