• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I ditch my PMC DBS1-AII?

slajmerr

I mostly produce and mix electronic music in a 4x3m room. (mansard)

I have been doing electronic music for 10 years on my Yamaha HS80m. And I am verry happy with them. BUT! I want to upgrade - I want more clarity.
I bought also used (but in perfect condition) PMC DBS1-AII (200 w amplifier) for 750€.

Now... my HS80s sound smeared and the PMCs really are more clear everywhere - I am listening to some of the best productions in the world. The only thing the PMCs lack is the BASS. I am used to the bassrange of my HS80s which is perfect for me. So now... I got a few scenarios.

1. Sell DB1S-AII and Get Neuman kh80 + sub
2. Get a sub for DB1S-AII -> like a REL Acoustic Storm 5 - I can get one for 500€ - is this a good price?

wait a while and collect money and then
------------------------------
3. Neuman KH310

and I will always keep HS80 as a second pair! I figured out I cant work with lesss than 7 inch woofers without a sub on electronic music!

ACTUALLY I wanted to sell these DB1S.............................. I have them only a few days - but oh man - every day i feel them more.. I know there are some bad results but they are really something I am telling you. I MEAN a bad master sounds bad on them, and good stuff sounds good on them. I MEAN THE Yamaha hs80m has got the wide feel, but the clarity... they are so smeared compared to PMC-s i cant tell you. I mean... it has been a while when i just stopped producing and started to listening to music instead. This was never the case on the Yamaha 80. Even with sonarworks calibration.. :\

thanks for help if anyone will decide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom