• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I be worried that DROP does not know a keyboard from a Headphone?

Do you ever feel the more money you spend on something, the more "Problems" it has?

• Sometimes

• Yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
I'm a bit worried about Drop Support.
I bought the HifiMan Headphones with a 3 year warranty from Drop. The Left Ear cup went out.

On the first email, Drop support asked us to swap cables and devices. Then never followed through on the email. Photos were included in my initial reply to Drops recommendations for troubleshooting & were followed. But again, no reply to the email.

So another support request from their Website was sent to get a RMA for the HiFiMan Headphones.

This is the response I received today:
1648160850206.png

The weird part?
This was the troubleshooting tips for the "Keyboard"... But was a headphone before? But now a Keyboard that is low in stock?

1648160976312.png

Has there been some weird trend in language that a headphone now identifies as a Keyboard?
I tried doing a Google Search hoping I could find out whats going on thinking maybe HiFiMan sells Keyboards. No dice.

Then looked up if any keyboards have speakers or sound related issues thinking maybe there was a product on Drops site that had speakers in the Keyboard. No dice.

So I googled it bellow and the only mention is to piano style Keyboards.
1648161241175.png

I'm thinking I should just call HifIman's support directly and see what to do. I purchased them in Late November from Drop so I think they should have at least a 1 year warranty.

But.. There is nothing listed for this model that I think is the HE400.
1648162738354.png

So then I call the HiFiMan's Telephone number:
"The Mailbox is full, ..."

So far? This is not Looking promising.

I thought I would register the Headphones while I am here. Nope.
Model number does not show up in drop down.
1648165527057.png

Oh.... So its been a few years since HiFiMan's site has been updated.
1648165604907.png

Sending an Email to HiFiman now, and lets see where this goes.

You know... I think I am just going to stick to Buying things on Amazon.
I'll update of anyone cares. But this should serve as a Buyers Beware.

In the meantime? I think I'll just buy another pair from Amazon while I wait for these to get fixed. Or whatever my kid wants to try out next.

Real bummer this all is.

Attachments

• 1648166310513.png
    1648166310513.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 50

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Drop? warranty?

that's why they stopped their business in the EU - complete lack of it, i mean (which is actually illegal over here)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Drop is such a scam. You can buy the same name brand product with a better warranty from the manufacturer, which somehow is shortened down by DROP to a year. Not to mention most of their user base is a bunch of fanboi wankers

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Well, the title of this post doesnt match OP's rant.
It's more like "Do you shop at Drop?" Yes/no and why not.

I had a choice of buying a Sennheiser HD 560S locally or Drop's Sennheiser 6XX (during last Christmas when it was on sale), and I chose a local store simply because they offered local warranty. Since the price was about equal for both, I made the decision based on warranty.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Poor customer service annoys me. Products will sometimes have faults or fail, if the retailer or manufacturer sorts it out quickly and efficiently I am not worried, in fact I see good service as a plus. However when companies just shrug their shoulders or don't respond or put all sorts of hurdles in the way it annoys me.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
But.. There is nothing listed for this model that I think is the HE400.

it's either the HE4xx which i didn't know they were still selling, or the HE-X4

the HE4xx was the only one on the warranty list

OP
iMickey503

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Is Dust is a Problem with headphones from HiFiman? And is Drop and HiFiman the same company?
1648424335578.png

I'm serious. Do you have to dust your Headphones? HOW do you do that?
I'm trying to be open minded & reasonable. But I'm at a loss here.

I found 2 articles on head-fi.org about this:

And this one covers dust:

And video from sound guys seems to have some good advice. But not much about dusting.
I get that maybe there might be F.O.D. that can get into your drivers. But I'm at a loss here.

I thought dust would only really a problem with electrostatic headphones.
I did find something on Reddit..
1648427299895.png

I never knew this. Is any of this true?

Attachments

• 1648425935832.png
    1648425935832.png
    360.9 KB · Views: 45

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't speak for HiFiMan, but I've never had any problems with dust in any of my headphones. I have Sennheiser HD580's which are almost 30 years old, open backed and have had a tough life and they still work. I haven't been especially genetle with my Beyerdynamic DT1990's and they still work fine. Planars might be different but I'm guessing my OPPO PM-2 headphones are about 5 years old, open back, and still work fine despite never having been cleaned.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thinking about it, unless they're stored for a long time and gather dust then the very fact of using headphones should limit issues with dust with all the driver movement/vibration.

OP
iMickey503

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Hooray! I got my RMA.

Question:

1. FedEx?
  2. UPS?

Its going to NYC to a Home Address.
HiFiMan did not specify the Shipment method. Thoughts?

They don't allow packages to be signed for due to NYC rules. And the Address seems to be a home address.

Wish me Luck!

OP
iMickey503

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Well Hello. Long time No Update. That was MY FAULT.
So. Lets examine what I got back.

First. It DOES work. It did come in a Nice Box. It was Shrink wrapped.
Time for processing was about 2 weeks. So pretty fast turn around.

They do work well. The drivers are working great. But the Item I got back has a Few flaws.
IMG_20220810_013719 - Edited.jpg

So far so good!
IMG_20220810_014155 - Edited.jpg

Pads look and feel new.
IMG_20220810_014212 - Edited (1).jpg

Cables look brand new.
IMG_20220810_014141.jpg

The Not so good.
IMG_20220810_014437.jpg

Seems like its just scuffed up on this one place on the plastic.
IMG_20220810_014452.jpg

There does not seem to be any cracks or stress fractures in the Plastic. Just cosmetic Blemishes.
IMG_20220810_014734.jpg

Though I did not inclide pics of the Other ear cup? it has similar damage in the same place as well. What bothers me is what I saw in the Ear Cups.
Take A close look.
IMG_20220810_014752.jpg

1660204139474.png

I guess I got someone else's Used pair. The one I got for my Kid was flawless and Brand new.
So, I guess I am going to Clean them with some Alcohol, treat the Pleather, and ask if My kid still wants these. He really has not been missing them. And likes to only use these for Gaming. (Less Latency then his Bluetooth phones. But still adores his Monoprice headphones.

Overall? I'm happy. they did replace them. But not so happy about the pair I got. Again, for the Price I am not going to complain. Also, don't get the oil stuck in your hair on the Adjusters. You think they would use Dry Lube, but I guess this is better for the environment? Who knows. But there is LOTS of oil on the metal adjuster mechanism.

Still, one heck of a great value. But I don't see him running over to pick them up.

Glad that HiFiman honored their warranty. Still. I really am kind of weirded out about the stuff inside the headphones. But I guess I can clean them.

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_014444.jpg
    IMG_20220810_014444.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 29

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't remember the circumstances of your RMA situation but if I returned immaculate headphones and received damaged phones in return then I would complain and escalate the matter to somebody that matters. :D

OP
iMickey503

iMickey503

Forum Donor
Honestly Doodski? I could of just bought a New pair for my kid months ago. I only returned it out of Principal to see if I was going to consider buying the higher end models in the line. This experience with the process and communication with them ruled that out entirely.

I just got better things to do.

Top Bottom