• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should hard drugs be decriminalized and then supply pharmaceutical grade drugs to users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The cannabis situation here in NY is weird. It is legal, and legal to smoke/vape anywhere it's legal to smoke cigarettes. But... they still haven't worked out the graft for supply chain. I'm sure when they do, the right pockets will be lined, "right" meaning "bribed the appropriate officials to obtain a position in an oligopoly." Something analogous to the taxi medallion cartels in NYC.

My feeling is that everyone should have coffee as their drug of choice, and the preferred supplier be our shop. I'm saying this in a purely unselfish way, of course.

JRS

Major Contributor
Check this page for 20% THC 28g at $86.24 ($3.08/g)
I smoke the TWD brand stuff in sativa (major munchies weed) and indica too and it's the bomb.
I smoke weed near everyday at $3.08 a gram.
Inexpensive is right. I prefer edibles--a perfect dose of 10mg costs 2 bucks and provides a most pleasant 5-6 hour intoxication. If I were drinking wine or scotch instead, 5 to 10x as much $$$. And the proceeds can be saved for audio! :cool: Besides, it's 10x more fun.

In college, I'd smoke but never really enjoyed myself--tended to get paranoid and awkward socially. Todays strains are a marvel not just for potency, but the quality of the experience--a really fantastic job of applied genetics that occurred largely in BC, Canada, and of course Humboldt county here in the US.

The only thing about edibles is that the amount required increases rapidly with daily use. But for me it's weekly at most, and a great opportunity to really enjoy well reproduced music. That and the sex can't be beat. :)

DHT 845

Talk about sugar, that is legal drug that shortens human life the most, added to everything

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Inexpensive is right. I prefer edibles--a perfect dose of 10mg costs 2 bucks and provides a most pleasant 5-6 hour intoxication. If I were drinking wine or scotch instead, 5 to 10x as much $$$. And the proceeds can be saved for audio! :cool: Besides, it's 10x more fun.

In college, I'd smoke but never really enjoyed myself--tended to get paranoid and awkward socially. Todays strains are a marvel not just for potency, but the quality of the experience--a really fantastic job of applied genetics that occurred largely in BC, Canada, and of course Humboldt county here in the US.

The only thing about edibles is that the amount required increases rapidly with daily use. But for me it's weekly at most, and a great opportunity to really enjoy well reproduced music. That and the sex can't be beat. :)
I've never tried the custom made edibles and when I tried eating some flower it did nothing as I was told because the flower has to be cooked (butter works good) at >180F for 20 minutes or something like that. Now that you mention you get a nice 5-6 hour stone I'll try custom made edibles. The chocolate is enticing.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Talk about sugar, that is legal drug that shortens human life the most, added to everything
I'm onboard with sugar as a necessity. If I don't eat it I miss it and crave it. :D

Mojo Warrior

Yes,

The past system to criminalize and punish drug addicts has clearly been a failure. Law enforcement does not have the tools or skills to deal with this subject. The drug users need to be kept safe and the public safe from drug related crime. The adverse health consequences and crimes cost all of society. Some people will always be attracted to drug use for various reasons. That will never change.

What needs to change is the approach to the problem. There are already many medical techniques to assist people who want to get off drugs. Perhaps, they should be rewarded if they do so, successfully. People respond to rewards much better than to punishment.

Medical professionals, corporations and public officials that enable drug abuse should be severely punished, OTOH.

Mojo Warrior

War on Drugs ?

Remember the dismal record our Govt has with any sort of "War" over the past 75 years. "Wars" cost the taxpayers trillions of dollars and hundreds of thousands dead. Not to minimize the suffering of the wounded and displaced.

BTW legal alcohol is a much greater problem worldwide and a higher cost to society than drugs. I am not advocating Prohibition (it didn't work, either) just making a point that we should not demonize victims. If we can afford to send billionaires on joy rides into space maybe we can do a better job here on Earth.

P.S. 47 years in the medical field including 24 in the ER.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Medical professionals, corporations and public officials that enable drug abuse should be severely punished, OTOH.
What exactly constitutes "enabling drug abuse" isn't always clear. For example, the question whether to prescribe potentially addictive pain medication. If the doc prescribes it, the patient may become addicted. If he does not prescribe, the patient may resort to black market drugs to alleviate his pain, and end up with a much more dangerous problem. Catch-22: either way, the doc's decision could "enable drug abuse". Current laws here in the USA put doctors in a tough situation: their decision is based not only on their professional medical assessment of the patient, but also on what they think government regulators will think about their decision.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
IMO - not complete legalization, but decrimilazation

that means posession of smaller quantities a.k.a. "personal use" is allowed, everything else they still don't prosecute but it goes into the healthcare system
(see Portugal)

edit: sorry, was to quick on the trigger posting this...
they send everything off into counseling at least, even "personal use" quantities, everything else DOES get prosecuted

Mojo Warrior

What exactly constitutes "enabling drug abuse" isn't always clear. For example, the question whether to prescribe potentially addictive pain medication. If the doc prescribes it, the patient may become addicted. If he does not prescribe, the patient may resort to black market drugs to alleviate his pain, and end up with a much more dangerous problem. Catch-22: either way, the doc's decision could "enable drug abuse". Current laws here in the USA put doctors in a tough situation: their decision is based not only on their professional medical assessment of the patient, but also on what they think government regulators will think about their decision.

Doctors can also be addicts or be close to someone who is addicted. They also can "boost" their practice volume by liberally prescribing drugs. They can obtain favors, sexual or financial, for over-prescribing. Doctors can attract "new clients" from distant states by liberally prescribing drugs. They can become more "popular" among the influencers in their community. Some are just lousy at treating people and are unwilling to change their behavior.

I could go on and on.

Just don't think that drug addicts are all low life. Some of them are among the most wealthy in our soceity.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've never tried the custom made edibles and when I tried eating some flower it did nothing as I was told because the flower has to be cooked (butter works good) at >180F for 20 minutes or something like that. Now that you mention you get a nice 5-6 hour stone I'll try custom made edibles. The chocolate is enticing.
The THC needs to be freed in some type of animal fat to be really effective.
Simmering in butter or even milk works real well to get it ready for cooking in brownies, cookies, etc.
Back in the 70s I used to get this soft greenish-tan "pollen hash", stick a gram or 2 between the cheek and gum like chaw and just let it slowly dissolve there while drinking a glass or two of milk over the hour or 2 it took to dissolve.
Gave a really deep mellow buzz that would last 8 hours or more. ;)

IMO - not complete legalization, but decrimilazation
The issue there remains they have to go to the criminal element to obtain the drugs.
I don't see that would change much of the biggest problems.
Doctors can also be addicts or be close to someone who is addicted. They also can "boost" their practice volume by liberally prescribing drugs. They can obtain favors, sexual or financial, for over-prescribing. Doctors can attract "new clients" from distant states by liberally prescribing drugs. They can become more "popular" among the influencers in their community. Some are just lousy at treating people and are unwilling to change their behavior.
Just another of the drug "problem" that would disappear with a more intelligent policy.
Want some recreation drugs, go to the dispensary that's right next door to the beer and licquor store and buy it.
Need some for a physical condition like pain, go to your Dr and get a script, then go to the pharmacy where you can maybe put the cost on
on your insurance card.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The anti drug laws were promoted by Harry Anslinger

The cancer cocktail was "Brompton's Mixture"

I would not argue with anyone about the price of pot since I have not bought it since the sixties.;):cool:
I had some friends stuff Thai stick in my face in the late seventies. I did not like it at all. Harsh.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would not argue with anyone about the price of pot since I have not bought it since the sixties.
WTF are you waiting for, the grim reaper to put the final smile on your face. ;)

D

Deleted member 21219

I look at it differently, possibly because I'm older.

Some people feel an intense need for something that removes them from their present state of mind. Legality and availability have nothing to do with it, because those do not address the root cause of the addiction, and that root cause is a lack of viable interface between the user and reality.

As population density increases, I think things will get worse. Just my opinion. Jim

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the 70s I used to get this soft greenish-tan "pollen hash"
I had a gram of hash just like that 2 weeks ago. I was chopping off slivers and mixing it in my handheld pipe with flower. It had a very nice mellow fresh green weed sorta flavor. The dark black hash I had a couple of months ago was fantastic to smoke all by itself in the pipe. It gave me that feeling in my cheeks as if I was stoned which I was and the flavor was smoooooth. Must get more...

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Why don't the organized criminals get addicted and their whole enterprise collapse on itself? (why don't they use up all their merchandise themselves and have nothing to sell?)

Does every line of the classic jazz song "I'm a fool to want you" resonate particularly with drug addicts?

Should the fentanyls perhaps be renamed fatalyns?

Could ODs be regarded as intersample overs which clipped the life of the user short?

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The benefits are manifold:

Overdose deaths essentially eliminated
Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but that's simply not how drug abuse and overdose works.
Chronic drug use leads to tolerance. Tolerance leads to increasing doses. Increasing doses leads to overdose. Overdose leads to death.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had a gram of hash just like that 2 weeks ago. I was chopping off slivers and mixing it in my handheld pipe with flower. It had a very nice mellow fresh green weed sorta flavor. The dark black hash I had a couple of months ago was fantastic to smoke all by itself in the pipe. It gave me that feeling in my cheeks as if I was stoned which I was and the flavor was smoooooth. Must get more...
Keep it up Doodski and I just might put you on ignore and NEVER talk to you again. :p

JRS

Major Contributor
Thank you very much for the link. Haven't heard much about this in ABQ but gonna ask around tomorrow. It does sound like a contaminant or by-product is present, and doing the damage. Because as they say--real meth is a mild neurotoxin, and takes crushing doses for years to take a toll, but this sounds like anything but mild. That the psychosis is so much worse also interesting.

Unrelated, but along the same lines, users report a major change in the effects of MDMA (xtc). It's a modified methamphetamine and typically doesn't start with meth, but I am betting there is a connection as new forms of synthesis have been discovered for it, one in 2016--again by seizing drugs and finding new trace molecules on analysis.

Effing frightening is what it is.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but that's simply not how drug abuse and overdose works.
Chronic drug use leads to tolerance. Tolerance leads to increasing doses. Increasing doses leads to overdose. Overdose leads to death.
No sarcasm… Fentanyl is being used to enhance heroin, cocaine and other street drugs. Fentanyl is many times more potent than the adulterated drug and relatively inexpensive... a relatively small amount can be lethal. Law enforcement and Emergency Medical Services reports are the source of my readings. (https://www.drugrehab.com/addiction/prescription-drugs/fentanyl/overdose/)

Please provide a source for the chain you posit above. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom