• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should Class D amps be fed analogue or digital?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With my small brain understanding of Class D amplification, they can operate with a digital input that goes straight into the amplification circuit without first requiring digital to analogue conversion. And that when provided with an analogue input, they do what could be described as analogue to digital conversion first before amplification. In other words, Class D natively works with a digital input.

Is this an accurate understanding? And if so, should we be seeking out amps that accept a digital input instead of analogue? It used to be easy where the basics were source (which could be a DAC), pre-amp, amp, passive speaker. Now with class D amps, powered speakers that can accept digital inputs, and all digital sources, I’m having trouble understanding the merits of when d/a conversion should take place and when volume control should take place.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A Class D amplifier uses a analogue input. If there is a digital input then there is digital signal processing circuitry operating before the Class D amplifier stage.
600px-Pwm_amp.svg.png

OP
dshreter

dshreter

I understood that a digital input could directly feed the pulse width modulation, and was my takeaway from the way it is described here:
https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/class-d-digital-amplifier

Perhaps there are not associated performance benefits, or that I just have this wrong. Regardless I’d like to have a better understanding. The amp I’m using (Sonos Amp) I believe is described as taking digital input, and does ADC on the line input for this reason.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see where it says a digital signal can be processed in the Class D amplifier. The web link says, "...a digital amplifier that accepts only a digital input must rely on the incoming digital signal to lower distortion." It's a pretty general statement and I think they mean using a digital signal input is a better method but they generalized so much that they left out the part about a DAC being required before the Class D amplifier stage. Is that the part that got your attention?

OP
dshreter

dshreter

It was only a convenient source I found. More generally, I understood that the switching amplifier was fed via a pulse width input which is digital in nature. Which ties back to the original thought that you either have an ADC or can run fully digital until the gain stage.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No it isn't. You need to convert the digital numbers into the analogue pulse width signal?
The digital signal needs to be put through a DAC before the Class D amp and then that analogue signal can be converted and amplified.

0bs3rv3r

The digital signal needs to be put through a DAC before the Class D amp and then that analogue signal can be converted and amplified.

Yeah, in my editing, I left in a ? at the end. I was indeed trying to say, you can't directly feed a digital signal into an analogue class D amp.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, in my editing, I left in a ? at the end. I was indeed trying to say, you can't directly feed a digital signal into an analogue class D amp.
That's right. The Class D amp is a analogue circuit. The quasi square wave in the pulse width modulation stage might confuse people but it is a analogue signal amplifier.

OP
dshreter

dshreter

If it is fed a square wave signal, why would it require a true analogue input? I understand the topology of the popular amplifier modules is based on analogue input, but is that fundamental? I would think a digital input would be able to directly produce the square wave input without any conversion to the full analogue wave form.

0bs3rv3r

I would think a digital input would be able to directly produce the square wave input without any conversion to the full analogue wave form.

The "square wave" is a pulse width modulated ANALOGUE signal, not digital.

0bs3rv3r

Actually there is a way to generate the pulse width modulated signal from a digital input. You can use a computer to read the digital input, and generate the PWM signal using software - but I did not think that was being done by anyone. May be wrong. Still ends up as analogue PWM though.

pma

Major Contributor
A Class D amplifier uses a analogue input. If there is a digital input then there is digital signal processing circuitry operating before the Class D amplifier stage.
600px-Pwm_amp.svg.png
Of course! It is a popular misunderstanding that class D is a "digital" amplifier. Oh no, it is an analog amplifier with impulse type modulation!

OP
dshreter

dshreter

Actually there is a way to generate the pulse width modulated signal from a digital input. You can use a computer to read the digital input, and generate the PWM signal using software - but I did not think that was being done by anyone. May be wrong. Still ends up as analogue PWM though.
Can you tell by looking at this brief if this operates in that manner?

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/csra6620-ddfa-controller-product-brief.pdf

I really appreciate all of the responses here, so much to learn.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

pma

Major Contributor
There might have been one interesting exception - if the input was in DSD, then, in theory, only a LPF (low pass filter) operating at necessary power level would be enough to reconstruct the analog signal. The drawback would be quite high switching frequency, however, as a principle - maybe we shall see it sometimes in future.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The D in class D doesn't mean digital. End of story.

Also
The ones that accept digital inputs are generally having digital processing so they will convert analogue to digital then back to analogue if the input is fed analogue signal.

Top Bottom