• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should Amir go to Canjam in Southern California?

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Haha, it's your ears not your jewels. You dont need protection. Just shower before and after. If really concerned, take hand sanitizer and rub it on your ears after :D

tential

Yes. You can bring your own source or use theirs. I worry about the hygiene of it though but most people don't seem to care. :)
Now I wish I had a better source than my s9+. Just bought the tin hifi p1.
Is it useful to have a micro SD card with my music too? For testing sources?
For $20 and my time I guess I really should go. I will never hear this many headphones although I wish had the tin hifi p1 so I could compare.
I can compare my kz zs3 for now! Big bucks!

I'd be interested in seeing which headphones you're interested in seeing further, unless you're satisfied with your current gear.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it useful to have a micro SD card with my music too? For testing sources?
Some may have portable players that accept them but in general, I find vendors don't want to use other people's memory cards (fearing viruses, etc.). But since it is small, bring it anyway. And yes, if you are local, for sure attend. There is also a good talk by Sean Olive at 11:00 on Saturday on science of headphone measurements/preference.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yup, don't go. You can't really mingle with the crowd there now.

Oh yeah? :p

untitled.png

Palpatine

Can we please get @amirm to go to the Synergistic Research booth and make a mockery of them in a condescending fashion?

We should all donate to get this to happen:)

How is stuff like this legal?

Palpatine

6685821_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of there "HOT" Headphone optimized transducer. It costs $300. It improves bass and highs!:D

"A male stereo 1/4 inch jack and a female stereo mini jack with three wires connecting them together.

The female jack was coated in glue and had a little bit of glassy sand stuck to it. Wrapped around the sticky mess was three pieces of foil which were attached to the wires.

There you go... basically a plain old plug extender with some sand and glue and foil shoved into it. "

- BigShot (Head-fi)

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Yes. You can bring your own source or use theirs. I worry about the hygiene of it though but most people don't seem to care. :)

Just drop by your nearest Wallgreens and buy a small box of alcohol swaps. I carry a few satchets in all my earphone carry cases to clean the eartips if I were to let others use them.

In any case, for most of the IEM vendors, they do clean the tips after every user test. Not so much for headphones.

Bring your own playback source with as varied different adaptors that you may have. Most are obliging if a simple connection is possible.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So Amir decided to go to Canjam after all. He also decided to refer to himself in third person from now on.

If you see me there, you are welcome to come and say hi. Please be low-key. Don't ask for autographs, hugs or permission to kiss my hand or anything like that.

In case you are thinking of coming to my lab and stealing all the audio gear, be on notice that the pink panthers are staying home to guard the place. I have not fed them for three days so they are quite hungry! I suggest staying far, far away.

If you have received a bonus from work lately, please send some my way. I plan to find some good food in LA and as always, could use the money. That said, being near the airport while convenient, sucks from food point of view.

I will check in on my phone from time to time to see who starts trouble. So keep your nose clean!

cjfrbw

Look forward to your report, Amir, er, mystery individual! Incognito is the word!

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Wurstküche
800 E 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90013, USA
+1 213-687-4444
https://maps.app.goo.gl/BM5Jcwo9FLJ4tmsS8

There should be a tall bloke with a beard, he's the best, when drunk I'd always go here and ' bearded man' would sort me out.

Not very convenient for the airport but there is plenty going on round the art district. There's a ok jazz club near this place too.

They might have a second outlet in LA nearer you, iv vague memories of that being mentioned but I've not been there.

Best flavoured sausages iv ever had.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Langer's
704 S Alvarado St, Los Angeles, CA 90057, USA
+1 213-483-8050
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DnkJWjZFC1JVs8YK7

Pastrami here is decent, iv not found better even in new York.

Don't wear nothing expensive looking though it's entertainingly rough outside. We don't want someone making the king his Queen.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Be sure to check out the Fiio stand, always interesting stuff from them. And ofcourse SMSL.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I got sent to Irvine for work and just happened to be put up at the Marriot Irvine! Guess I'll be checking this CanJam thing out.

Just met a Grado showing off his family's cans . . . pretty cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom