• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should Amir go to Canjam in Southern California?

Audioagnostic

You could do some 'networking' with the manufacturer reps and see who will send gear to be reviewed! :D (OMG, Synergistic Research will be there! hahaha! ;) )

I always thought synergistic research was a joke. Some people trying to see how far they could go with fleecing money from gullible audiophiles.

With that in mind I kind of admire them...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I always thought synergistic research was a joke. Some people trying to see how far they could go with fleecing money from gullible audiophiles.

Their demos are quite effective at shows. I have had people in their suites unprompted try to convince me to buy them, saying they work great. And they would sit there smiling ear to ear with every demo.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Their demos are quite effective at shows. I have had people in their suites unprompted try to convince me to buy them, saying they work great. And they would sit there smiling ear to ear with every demo.

So they have plants in the audience to shill their products? It gets better.

If I had a ton of money, I'd fly the whole ASR cohort in for the show- that'd be fun. :)

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What speakers are you using?

I despair of ever getting the clear, detailed, uncolored bass with speakers in my living room that I get with my Sennheiser 650s . (Recently my demo for this has been the sound of the plucked and bowed double basses in Schubert's Symphony 8 conducted by Giulini in Chicago on DG.) Some ASR members have detailed the heroic measures they've gone to to get smooth bass response even in a dedicated room, something my little headphone rig does easily (Topping D10 and a Schiit Magni 3). That said, it's difficult to enjoy headphones when my tinnitus is acting up.

Id argue you'd be much less likely to get tinnitus using speakers compared to phones. I want to like headphones but have never liked having them on my head, and prefer to feel bass

Daverz

Major Contributor
Id argue you'd be much less likely to get tinnitus using speakers compared to phones. I want to like headphones but have never liked having them on my head, and prefer to feel bass

Yes, I think the potential of hearing damage is an important thing to consider when using headphones.

I attribute the onset of my tinnitus to use of Etymotics.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

+1

proj964

I vote go and learn (there is always something new). Networks and contacts are invaluable too.

Tks

Major Contributor
Going would be good.

I know people are meme'ing about you getting tar'd and feather'd by companies who's products didn't do so well (but I think this is an overestimation of them actually caring to that degree).

Also, I don't understand what there would be to feel uncomfortable about. The value system on this planet is flat out retarded. Why would I get mad as a company for someone who revealed the flaws in my product? Sane, rational people would pat you on the back out of thankfullness so they know what to look out for in their next iteration. Only the scum/criminals out there feel like you're screwing them over with analyzers spitting out measurements, I'd feel even more compelled to go if this was indeed what some companies would feel about you, knowing you're on the right side of things you can then face them with a -straight face- while they.. not so much.

It's not like your reviews are out of their control.. you barely even do reviews in the pervading and colloquial sense (reviews where a subjective take is 90% of the ordeal), you give your take on the testing you perform and explain to folks why its relevant and in what way. The times when you open a unit up and reveal things to be unsatisfactory also isn't something you are in control of (revealing things like idiotic heatsink design/positions, and wiring gone haywire). SO, if they are upset about getting a bad "review", then they should just make a better product that isn't plagued with blatantly purposeful design flaws due to self-imposed ignorance.

Don't ever feel uncomfortable for what you do unless someone is literally out to cause you direct harm. If there are companies that don't agree with what you do.. GOOD, we then know who to avoid like the plague - as those folks are uninterested in the betterment of the industry of audio. You will always have some folks who will stand behind you when you do the right thing.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

The headphone gadget I tried (the HOT) was merely a 1/4" TRS plug and jack wired together. Inside, the metal shell of one of them had some sand mixed with silver paint daubed on it. It of course did absolutely nothing other than pass the signal through.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The next Canjam (headphone) conference is coming up in LA/Orange county area on June 22nd. I have tentatively made hotel reservation. The list of manufacturers is rather small though so I am debating how useful it is to go from here, considering the expense and time.

---
64 Audio
Abyss Headphones
Akoustyx
ampsandsound
Artvano
Astell+Kern
Audeze
Audio-Technica
Benchmark Media Systems
beyerdynamic
Campfire Audio
Cardas Audio
Chord Electronics
Clearaudio
Crosszone
dCS
Dekoni Audio
DUNU
Effect Audio
Empire Ears
Fan Acoustics
Feliks Audio
FiiO
Focal
Grado Labs
HAKUGEI Cable
Headamp Audio Electronics
HELM Audio
Hifiman
HyperX
ICELAB
iFi audio
Jerry Harvey Audio
Jomo Audio
Kaldas Research
Kimber Kable
Manley Labs
Matrix Audio
MeccAudio
Meze Audio
Monoprice
MoonDrop
Mount Rose Music
MrSpeakers
Mysphere
Noble Audio
Periodic Audio
PrimaLuna
Pro-Ject Audio Systems
Quad
RAAL-requisite
Ranko Acoustics
Redscape Audio
Schiit Audio
SendyAudio
Sennheiser
Shenzhen Audio
Shure
S.M.S.L & VMV
Synergistic Research
The Audiophile Zone
The Source AV
Tralucent Audio
Ultimate Ears
Upscale Audio
Westone
Woo Audio
YuLong Audio
ZMF Headphones

----

What do you guys think? Should I go?
With your current reputation I wouldn't bother. They probably wont let you in.:p

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Mimizone

Would be fun to meet face to face the one I would blame if my wife was asking for buying in the last 6 months an SMSL DAC, an Atom and a THX.

Mimizone

And can you bring your STAX with the energizer in your backpack? They are not at the show... :)

tential

No one would host you? I would but I'm in San Diego doubt that'd help too much.

Either way, I hope you do go. Shoot I should go how much it costs I wonder.
$20 for one day and $30 for two. Not bad...

Last edited:

tential

What speakers are you using?

I despair of ever getting the clear, detailed, uncolored bass with speakers in my living room that I get with my Sennheiser 650s . (Recently my demo for this has been the sound of the plucked and bowed double basses in Schubert's Symphony 8 conducted by Giulini in Chicago on DG.) Some ASR members have detailed the heroic measures they've gone to to get smooth bass response even in a dedicated room, something my little headphone rig does easily (Topping D10 and a Schiit Magni 3). That said, it's difficult to enjoy headphones when my tinnitus is acting up.

That's why you use something like diysoundgroup.com to build the speakers. I wouldn't ever buy speakers again because of your fears. After finishing my subwoofer and have it blow anything under $1k out the water and probably higher price ranges barring someone like jtrspeakere, ya....
Retail speakers suck.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No one would host you? I would but I'm in San Diego doubt that'd help too much.
Ah, my old hometown! The hotel cost is reasonable. The issue is the hassle of flying back and forth for a small show.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Don't go.

Mow the grass.

Eat a peach.

Top Bottom