• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Short term lingerer

Dumdum

Hey, thanks for putting the effort into a very detailed review site, I’m loving it so far! Especially the disappointing review of the performance of the Sony gs-9, that really is a bit cringeworthy considering it’s cost vs a topping d10 for example!

so onto me, I am a car audio fanatic, my current car is a small hatchback, it features an alpine cde-178bt as a source, but also has a 12v converted Apple TV 3rd gen, and very shortly this will be displaced by a topping D10 and an iPhone XR 256gb with tidal and an iTunes library, although tidal generally gets the nod

these source feed a Helix DSP pro 2 which has 31 band fully parametric eq for all ten outputs, takes 8 configurable rca, optical, coax in, and also speaker level with input eq also

this is shortly to be replaced with a Helix DSP mini which is a 4 in, 6 out but with all the digital ins and outs also

amplifiers are currently ground zero uranium 4 and 2 channels with variable bias adjustment between class ab and towards class a... this will be replaced soon with a Zapco 150.6ap (those who know car audio will possibly dribble at thos

speakers are hybrid audio L4SE playing as 150hz upwards point source, some random 6.5” midbass which we’re kicking about, soon to be replaced by my seas 22cm midbass drivers

and an alpine type R 12” subwoofer currently

now my visit was preceded by someone mentioning how poor a Sony gs9 was vs an iPhone $9 dac, I enquired if it was usual internet rhetoric with no basis or factual... for a refreshing change the guy pointed me towards here and so my journey began!

my reason for joining is I’d like to measure some items i own, simple frequency responses for example of my alpine CD player with various sources, the Apple TV as a digital source blows this away using my iPhone linked to both... I’m curious as to the differences

I’m well versed in using REW to measure cars, along with holm impulse and have just acquired ARTA, I have several test mics, a UMIK-1 usb mic and also a Dayton which is XLR with a M-Audio mobile pre, which I think works, but I’ll be honest I’d love to ask a few questions about that as I’m not 100% on how to set it up with my laptop for loopback measurements which is why I bought it, I’d also like to calibrate it to the best of my ability using a loopback measurement also and I think I should be able to then use that as an interface to measure freq responses of preouts from the alpine and the helix at least?

perhaps at a later stage once I’ve become accustomed to using the kit maybe measure an amplifier or two, and perhaps acquire a dac and measure the response of my iPhone and D10

So I guess my first question is, despite me searching for various terms I’ve not found an idiots guide to measuring frequency responses etc, which I’m presuming the usb sound card in my pc may even be able to do (I have four or five laptops at work with various ins and outputs, and a decent tower or two kicking about I’d love to measure, but I have no clue how to start, any links to how to measure a soundcard and m audio would be gratefully received

and also how to perform loopback measurements etc also

I’d like to use the m audio if possible to perform impulse response with the loopback as a timing reference if possible for the car to measure phase and timings

any help is gratefully recieved, if anyone ever needs help with car audio or car related issues just ask and tag me if that is possible

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
While I can't help you out with the questions you have (lack of expertise), I would like to extend a welcome to ASR.

OP
D

Dumdum

So I performed an experiment tonight with rew and the umik-1...

alpine 178bt via Bluetooth with iPhone XR
Vs
Alpine 178bt via usb
Vs
Bluetooth hec module input to the helix (didn’t get a pic of this mind! Will sort it next time i
Vs
iPhone into topping into dsp via coax...

all with a 48khz 16bit pink noise alac file on the iPhone

The response is similar through the 150-19.5khz range for all three, however detail is far greater with the topping! I half expected to see a rising response from 3-4khz, but in reality the detail via the topping is night and day... freq response is nigh on identical

starting with the top end... topping is red... 20khz is approx 6-7db up, small difference but definitely there and repeatable with spatial averaging

4CFA23D9-237D-463D-BEE2-4A89D1C0A90B.jpeg

more surprising was the bottom end... that’s a 2db resolution per line, 7db at 20hz isn’t too shabby! No wonder I felt the need to eq up 20-30hz a fair few dB (I have

4D72A33D-4227-47A7-8FFA-6EC098001E45.jpeg

If anyone has a nice way to check the alpines output with rew and the usb soundcard I’d be all ears!

OP
D

Dumdum

You can use REW to measure frequency response. Just don't use a microphone and instead, line in. Most PCs have lousy inputs though so you need to buy an external sound interface.
Suggestions welcome, but I was kind of hoping the m-audio usb mobile would do the trick, it’s figuring out how to use it for that purpose, I may need some leads and stuff I don’t have

OP
D

Dumdum

Yes, for frequency response it would be fine.
I have ordered some mono jacks to rca adaptors as car audio is mainly done using rcas/Phonos, I will attempt to set the soundcard up and calibrate it in rew and then get on with my first measurements

I presume if I use a sweep generated by rew I can then see phase and frequency response like I can when using a mic for measurements in rew?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can export the frequency sweep from rew, and then play it in anything, whilst using your laptop and the umk1 to measure. Use the acoustic timing reference in the sweep to sync the playback and the measurement.

OP
D

Dumdum

Thanks, I will give it a go, I’m not 100% the interface is actually good, I think I’d got the calibration a bit out when I used it to measure as an rta using a Dayton mic it seemed to read the spl completely wrong, maybe I’d got a setting wrong in my pc, I will try again with it tomorrow

Top Bottom