• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shootout between JBL M2 and Revel Salon 2

D

Deleted member 2944

To be perfectly honest, I quite enjoy my LSR308's and while I haven't heard the 708P's I'm taking a gamble that they will be a significant improvement and work better at higher volumes.

I have both. The 708P's are significant improvement. Whether the significantly higher cost is worth it, would be another topic. :)

Dave.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have both. The 708P's are significant improvement. Whether the significantly higher cost is worth it, would be another topic. :)

Dave.
I've had all three. :eek:

fitero

As far as "working" goes....the darn things will work in a phone booth given the chance. o_O I also stuffed Salon 2s and 4367s in the same room previously.
I've got my M2s in a 10' x 13' room at the moment. Is it ideal? No. But by using some dynamic room correction and passive surface treatment the results are quite impressive. Near-field listening is a different animal.

Last edited:

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As far as "working" goes....the darn things will work in a phone booth given the chance. o_O I also stuffed Salon 2s and 4367s in the same room previously.
I've got my M2s in a 10' x 13' room at the moment. Is it ideal? No. But by using some dynamic room correction and passive surface treatment the results are quite impressive. Near-field listening is a different animal.

I sent you a PM as I’m very interested in a pair of M2...

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why «had»?
Kept the M2's as having multiple pairs of speakers and using just one pair seemed wasteful to me. I don't think my system sucks

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dave.

I've been tempted by the 708P for my main system as well. I have the 305P Mk2 in my living room. I've been checking and the 708P never seems to go on sale. Demand must be high. At $4000 USD, its a tough one.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been tempted by the 708P for my main system as well. I have the 305P Mk2 in my living room. I've been checking and the 708P never seems to go on sale. Demand must be high. At $4000 USD, its a tough one.

Used/refurbished/B-stock of these exists. Not that I'm recommending purchase from any particular ebay ad, do your own due diligence of course. But I bet deals can be found if you're patient and keep an eye on the marketplaces.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder... Then again, there is also Genelec...

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder... Then again, there is also Genelec...

I was looking at their line-up just now actually. Its a bit overwhelming how many models they have.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was looking at their line-up just now actually. Its a bit overwhelming how many models they have.
The big enchilada is the 8300 series because they have an EQ and control setup including a microphone for $500.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The big enchilada is the 8300 series because they have an EQ and control setup including a microphone for $500.

I was looking at the 8351s recently, but at $4K/speaker the jump to D&D 8cs doesn't seem all that large, and most seem to agree the 8cs are in a class of their own and also arguably offer more functionality? Both are very expensive speakers, though(for me).

I am curious how far above its price class the Kali IN-8 is going to punch.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It already has a model number? What is it going to be, a 708P clone...

Jaimo

I've had all three. :eek:
@dreite, good to know that the 708P's surpass the 308's...

I've read that the 708's are somewhat indistinguishable from the M2's at regular listening levels -can you comment?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 2944

@dreite, good to know that the 708P's surpass the 308's...

I've read that the 708's are somewhat indistinguishable from the M2's at regular listening levels -can you comment?
No, I can't comment. I haven't heard the M2's. It seems plausible though.
jtwrace is the fella to ask about this.

Dave.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I was looking at the 8351s recently, but at $4K/speaker the jump to D&D 8cs doesn't seem all that large, and most seem to agree the 8cs are in a class of their own and also arguably offer more functionality? Both are very expensive speakers, though(for me).

The 8351 with a sub (preferably 7382) is on par with many big speakers. GLM (Genelec’s DSP) makes sub integration child’s play. How big is your rom? Listening distance?

@Jantex has both 8351 (with a smaller sub, 7360 I think) and DD8C. He’s very satisfied with both, though the Genelecs are undoubtedly easier to set up.

Top Bottom