• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shootout between JBL M2 and Revel Salon 2

Mivera

Major Contributor
@Mivera you're really getting old now. I have a pair of NC500's in my closet that are unused. I'm very familiar withe Hypex and the NC400's as well. The bottom line is that Hypex doesn't have anything to compete with the Crown DCi that I use to power my JBL M2's since the DSP is all built in and the files are available.

Here are the amp tours I've done previously with the listening impressions from them:

Stage 1

Stage 2

Listening Impressions

I asked you how that amp was built but you refuse to answer.

So now you're a subjectivist? Better measured results aren't better? You were just saying the better the measured result the better period!

Wow you sure change your faith quick.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So now you're a subjectivist? Better measured results aren't better? You were just saying the better the measured result the better period!

You have no clue what you're talking about. Last time I went on the Hypex site, they don't list any tuning files for the JBL M2. Further, for the person that can't produce any data on his complete dac you certainly shouldn't say a word. Your dac is a complete design mess and you know it! Also, for the guy that did the mic drop that said he wouldn't come back....next time please keep your word.

It's too bad that @Thomas savage and @amirm unblocked you. This site really would be better without you.

Mivera

Major Contributor
He is making a sales pitch for himself that building kits in his garage makes them better than professionally manufactured in China products.

What do you mean. I don't make amps. I don't work for Hypex. Do you work for Harman?

Mivera

Major Contributor
You have no clue what you're talking about. Last time I went on the Hypex site, they don't list any tuning files for the JBL M2. Further, for the person that can't produce any data on his complete dac you certainly shouldn't say a word. Your dac is a complete design mess and you know it! Also, for the guy that did the mic drop that said he wouldn't come back....next time please keep your word.

It's too bad that @Thomas savage and @amirm unblocked you. This site really would be better without you.

Hypex makes the amps. You don't tune the amps with DSP. You could use $200 worth of Minidsp gear and get better measured results.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He is on borrowed time....
Good. I see no benefit of his posts at this point. In fact, it just takes resources away from actual useful data.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hypex makes the amps. You don't tune the amps with DSP. You could use $200 worth of Minidsp gear and get better measured results.
M2 is an active, bi-amp speaker. It comes with DSP firmware for the crossover and speaker correction in crown amps. In its larger configuration (outboard DSP) it als includes room EQ.

If you go minidsp, you are on your own emulating what they have done.

It is clear you are just disrupting the forum with these uneducated posts. I will ponder overnight what to do with you and discuss with Thomas.....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
He is on borrowed time....
It ran out a long time ago.
I tire of viewing one sided mental masturbation threads due to his continued verbal trolling and I having him Ignored.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
M2 is an active, bi-amp speaker. It comes with DSP firmware for the crossover and speaker correction in crown amps. In its larger configuration (outboard DSP) it als includes room EQ.

If you go minidsp, you are on your own emulating what they have done.

It is clear you are just disrupting the forum with these uneducated posts. I will ponder overnight what to do with you and discuss with Thomas.....
Maybe if someone took an active approach in their discovery they would know. I took a trip to Northridge to meet the engineers, demo the speakers and spend a day in engineering at Harman. Different perspective to actually see science in my hobby as I see it in my profession. I'll never do without it anymore as there is too much snake oil crap in this hobby.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It ran out a long time ago.
I tire of viewing one sided mental masturbation threads due to his continued verbal trolling and I having him Ignored.
I just did the same. Done.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe if someone took an active approach in their discovery they would know. I took a trip to Northridge to meet the engineers, demo the speakers and spend a day in engineering at Harman. Different perspective to actually see science in my hobby as I see it in my profession. I'll never do without it anymore as there is too much snake oil crap in this hobby.
The largest "reset" I ever had was in my first visit to Harman at Northridge. I had to clear my mind of everything I thought I knew about sound reproduction in the home and start a multi-year journey to learn the proper science all over. I wish more people could participate in that.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL Drivers copy.jpg
JBL 100 hr Test copy.jpg
Building copy.jpg
The largest "reset" I ever had was in my first visit to Harman at Northridge. I had to clear my mind of everything I thought I knew about sound reproduction in the home and start a multi-year journey to learn the proper science all over. I wish more people could participate in that.
They can but have to check their bias at the door and most can't do that. To be able to go into the spin a rama room, the two Anechoic chambers is eye opening. Oh, and be lead by the director of engineering and the actual designer and to be able to spend hours in their demo room is priceless and why I did it as pre purchase to my M2's. The whole trip cost less than a power cord and that's including flying from NC. :)

And these are the pics that I'm allowed to show.

Mivera

Major Contributor

Yeah I have a family member who recently joined the Jehovahs witnesses. She says the exact same thing. I hear the Church Of Scientology is another great option.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

You're being a disruptive troll in this thread and providing no value.

You have had all the warnings so immediate reply ban has been issued.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Iv no issue with people that are not fans of harman, Iv no issue with challenging the validity of the science of toole and olive etc

I myself while loving the R&D of JBL and their philosophy in general have zero time for them as a company as they are inept as far as I'm concerned.. ( been waiting since April for my 705p's) .

However hounding members and trolling like Mivera has here and elsewhere on the forum will not be tolerated. He's not the only member that can get unpleasant, belligerent etc though.
If anyone repeatedly behaves like that they will get warned, then given a reply ban if they carry on.

Mivera is also keen to market himself, that's why he's here. This is not a commercial forum and I don't like viral marketing.

pinkupanda

Yes they are used because Harman is a $5 Billion company. They have a sales force unmatched in the industry.

I judge things by measurements myself, not sales volume.

You say you judge it by measurements, yet when asked to produce for your own DAC you don't have one and that you prefer subjective listening. How cool is that ? So must of contradiction in every other sentences you throw. You must really be something man.:eek:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Ncore amps do measure extremely well, I have used them here in Grimm ,Kii, and Mola-Mola iterations, are Crown amps still fan cooled?
Keith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I, for one, am more than annoyed by Mivera behavior on forums. His is a strange mixture of objectivism with a dose of fist hammered subjectivity: Things are better because he claims them to be so and that's that, don't even dare to doubt His Words!
OTOH , he is entitled to his opinions and can (should) be ignored. Banning an individual is becoming too frequent in fora. Vide the treatment of serious people such as Amir in many forums where his views disrupt and disturb. I am by no means comparing Mivera rambling and noise to Amir knowledge and rather intimidating debate skills. Amir's views are factual and based on available research.. His (Mivera) are ....well ...his :D. I believe however that we must take the High Ground and let him make his(some?) noise and embarrass himself. The ignore button exist for a purpose ...

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Top Bottom