• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shipping from Canada to the US

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anybody have any experience shipping from Canada to the US? I can't quite figure out what my responsibility will be in terms of duties and taxes. This would be for speakers built in the EU and sold by a Canadian dealer. According to them I have to pay state sales tax and "some duties". But it would be nice to know for sure.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will the dealer let you set up the shipment? It isn't too hard with FedEx, and then you can see your charges in advance and bail if it is too much. Also then you might be able to fudge, say that the goods are sample.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't think there is duty for audio gear form Canada. You may get hit with clearing/processing fees though by the shipping company. Including some delay. Pretty sure Sales tax is up to you to deal with and not something you get charged for in the middle by shipping company, etc.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

I don't think there is duty for audio gear form Canada. You may get hit with clearing/processing fees though by the shipping company. Including some delay. Pretty sure Sales tax is up to you to deal with and not something you get charged for in the middle by shipping company, etc.
That is what I am hoping. I am hoping someone has done this recently and can confirm.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Call Canada Post for info...

I bought a preamp from a private seller, don't remember anything odd or price changes.

Now that I think about it there may have been something about US made gear returning to the US that created an exemption on this end, though.

Last edited:

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Check with US Customs. Since NAFTA is still in place, any gear made in Mexico or Canada would be duty free; however local state sales tax may apply as well as a brokerage fee to process the shipment through US Customs. The fact the speakers were made in Europe throws a wrench in the gears though.

Top Bottom