• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shielded interconnect / RCA / cinch cables don't seem to matter

kflw935641

Archimago tested various RCA cables for their noise performance, and came to the conclusion that it doesn't matter: https://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-analogue-rca-interconnects.html

I somewhat had a hard time finding information via the search function here if shielded cables make a difference in noise. So I thought I'd just put this into a thread here for other people who are also looking for measurements.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It can matter in some circumstances. I've run into cases where shielded cables were quiet and unshielded were not. He didn't put the cables in proximity of a noise source. The first comment on that article is from me, and you'll see what I'm writing about.

Yes for the most part if you aren't right next to a noise source it doesn't matter.

F

freemansteve

Spot on. I have dozens of RCA interconnects around the house. Some maybe 3m long.

While any inherent background noise (whatever that is) may be more-or less the same on all cables, I definitely have some super-badly shielded cables that can pick up transient noise when placed near to things switching on or off, and some that are more physically "microphonic" than others.

But I have plenty of cheap cables that perform as well as more expensive cables (but still cheap enough), the latter being bought because they look better and are more robust, to be honest. The ones that are tucked away can be as ugly as sin for me.

In fairness, I have no "expensive/fancy/snake-oil" cables to compare with as I have always believed "good enough" is exactly that. If I'm missing out, I'll cry into my beer.

OP
kflw935641

kflw935641

A colleague told me that all coax cables are shielded by design, and for a reason. So chances are that even cable A from the linked test had basic shielding. This is not something that was invented just because it sells better, it even has a patent.

I think I have actually seen one review on on amazon on one specific cable that there was no shielding at all though. But I can't find it anymore. Maybe this is something to look out for.

I do want a somewhat more robust cable though I guess, and many of them already have double shielding.

Top Bottom