• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shielded cables for 1more Triple Driver Over Ear

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm not good at setting mystery, so all was already in the title.

I have a pair of 1more Triple Driver Over Ear and a nasty high-pitched sound when I plug in on my U-Sabre DAC. Two ferrites on the USB cable reduced it a lot, but not completely.
Should I add more ferrite? Get a shielded USB cable? Get a shielded cable from the DAC to the headphones?

Thanx.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You might do better replacing the DAC. I have a pair of the same headphones and zero problems using the supplied cable with several different DACs.

Last edited:
OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a solution, but probably the most expensive one after replacing the DAC & the headphones.

I don't have any problem with the same DAC with 2 other pairs of headphones!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Just out of curiosity, what's the impedance of the other two headphones you tried?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Interesting- the symptom you describe is often the case when an output amp starts oscillating.

Long shot, but if you're anywhere nearby and want to bring it over, I'd love to dig into this.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in France. Thanks anyway, would have liked to!

I'm not sure about the impedance of that DAC though. I'll ask the seller.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Does the 1more Triple Driver Over Ear headphone play a lot louder than the other 2 on the same volume setting ?

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't notice that. Perhaps just a bit.
With 25% on the computer and 10% on the DAC, it is loud enough.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How loud is the sound ?

Could it be caused by the ceramic tweeter ?

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I plug the headphones directly in the PC soundcard, there is no weird noise.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It could be an issue between the headphone and line-out stage of the U-sabre DAC.
The fact that ferrites did something says something about HF common mode noise currents in the DAC and the USB source maybe through an external power supply.

Another DAC may be the best solution or not use the Triple Driver HP.

You can connect the U-sabre DAC out to an amplifier that can drive headphones and see if this works.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
How do you use headphones direct from dac? There must be an amplifier somewhere. In this case, it's likely the amp starts oscillating with that headphone.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The line-output doubles as headphone out.
In the description (very, very cheap DAC) it says: minimal analog output scheme
It does look like the output of the DAC chip isn't going through any buffers at all (only through 10 Ohm resistors) which is asking for problems.

audiophonics-u-sabre-usb-dac-24bit96khz-sa9023-es9023-v22e-tcxo-edition.jpg

It would appear as though the Triple driver OE isn't a particular difficult load it seems (Tyll's measurements when IF was still interesting) but the high capacitance of the ceramic tweeter may well be problematic in this case.

1More_TrippleDriverOverEar_Photo_TDOEHFreqPhase.jpg

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

It would appear as though the Triple driver OE isn't a particular difficult load it seems (Tyll's measurements when IF was still interesting) but the high capacitance of the ceramic tweeter may well be problematic in this case.

1More_TrippleDriverOverEar_Photo_TDOEHFreqPhase.jpg
You wouldn't know the load from impedance curve only goes to 22khz. But you can see the tendency of dropping impedance at higher frequencies. So it's possible to get even lower impedance at higher frequency so that appears as capacitive. Consistent with the high capacitance of ceramic drivers as you said
Innerfidelity is dead btw. I feel bad for tyll.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the description (very, very cheap DAC) it says: minimal analog output scheme
It does look like the output of the DAC chip isn't going through any buffers at all (only through 10 Ohm resistors) which is asking for problems.

audiophonics-u-sabre-usb-dac-24bit96khz-sa9023-es9023-v22e-tcxo-edition.jpg

Hi,

The unit differs from the one on your picture:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/dac-sans-volume/audiophonics-u-sabre-desktop-k2m-dac-ampli-casque-24bit96khz-sa9023-es9018-p-11911.html

There is a convenient volume control, that's why I bought it in the first place.

The other condition was to be plug-and-play, as it's for my office where I can't install anything myself if it has to modify Windows registry.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I feel bad for the community that loved his website.
I am happy for Tyll as he seems to be doing what he really wanted to do after being in the business for so long.
Quite certain he knew what would happen to IF but probably was assured his measurement legacy would remain.
The 'promised' measurements by the current IF never seems to have materialized.
Isn't that why most folks visited IF (and to read his opinion) ?
For subjective reviews with nice pics there are tons of other sites as well.

Top Bottom