• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's odd, mine came with a different remote. It has a curved bottom so its easy to pick up.
DSCF7821.jpg

So did mine, the aluminium bodied RC21 is an 'upgrade' :)

Fenix84

So did mine, the aluminium bodied RC21 is an 'upgrade' :)

Mines plastic :(

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mines plastic :(

As far as i'm aware, all the Topping devices come with the standard plastic remote (even the £900 D90SE!). So you have to buy the aluminium RC21 separately. I bought the RC21 because it's got a flat bottom and sits on my desk without rocking when I press the buttons, it feels nice and it's smaller than the stock remote.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was doing some listening last night with my FiiO FH3 IEMs (24 ohms, 114 dB sensitivity). Listened to remastered versions of Jump, Tom Sawyer, Blue Monday, and part of the Ready Player One OST. I also listened to some speech on YouTube to hear more examples of quiet bits between words. All were crisp and clean. And – if there is an audible noise floor here, you really have to concentrate to hear it. I'm still not sure if I'm hearing it or head/room noise. The EX5 is, for all intents and purposes, silent with these high sensitivity IEMs.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The volume knob – though I don't like the audible clicks which could be picked up by my microphone – is very accurate. This thing can get extremely quiet and still be centered all the way down to inaudibility. It's quite impressive compared to other analog volume controls which skew to the left or right or flake out sooner. Granted that tends to happen below the levels you're likely to use the device.

On usability, I still don't like reaching for the remote (I want buttons or switches on the device) but I'm getting more use to the way it operates. I recommend putting the EX5 up on top of something to get the volume knob off the desk. I got annoyed that my thumb would go between the knob and the desk and lift up and move the EX5 around.

If I could dream, maybe an EX5 Pro with a more detailed screen that doesn't have to abbreviate functions, an output selection toggle and other remote buttons put on the face of the device, a smoother and quieter volume knob with a rubber ring (pick up a camera lens for inspiration, they mastered that decades ago) at $400-450 would be sweet. Otherwise it's hard to complain about much at this price point.

dorirod

Does anyone here use the EX5 with a TV (optical or digital)? I am wondering if anyone else notices a delay between video and sound. I'm guessing mine is at around 0.1s or so. Not huge, but noticeable. I can't tell if it's due to EX5 or my TV though.

@amirm does the AP measure delay? If it does, it might be a useful metric to have on DACs.

Thank you

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone here use the EX5 with a TV (optical or digital)? I am wondering if anyone else notices a delay between video and sound. I'm guessing mine is at around 0.1s or so. Not huge, but noticeable. I can't tell if it's due to EX5 or my TV though.

@amirm does the AP measure delay? If it does, it might be a useful metric to have on DACs.

Thank you

This is pretty normal, AVRs usually have a setting to compensate (set a delay) when the audio and video signals are processed separately. Some TVs also allow you to set a delay on the audio output.

The AP measures audio signals, not video, so I wouldn't expect it to be able to measure any delay between them. However AP does make an HDMI module, so maybe it's possible with that.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Thank you
Stand right in front of the speakers - does it still appear delayed?

dorirod

The AP measures audio signals, not video, so I wouldn't expect it to be able to measure any delay between them. However AP does make an HDMI module, so maybe it's possible with that.

What I was thinking is something along the lines of timestamp when it sends the audio signal, timestamp when it reads the signal back from DUT, then repeat with loopback, subtract loopback time from DUT time, and output.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I was thinking is something along the lines of timestamp when it sends the audio signal, timestamp when it reads the signal back from DUT, then repeat with loopback, subtract loopback time from DUT time, and output.

That will measure the latency in the audio processing chain. What about the latency in the video processing chain?

dorirod

That will measure the latency in the audio processing chain. What about the latency in the video processing chain?

Yes, and that is what I am looking for, why would the video processing chain matter? If the video is delayed too, that would actually help reduce the observed latency. I am asking for the latency of the specific device/DAC. It would be good to know if there is any significant delay introduced by the DAC. To my knowledge, I don't think I've seen such measurements for any device, so I am asking if it's possible as it might be useful to know. If @amirm tries various devices, and in general, they introduce no or negligible latency (which would be good also to define what's negligible), then the issue lies elsewhere, and I wouldn't expect Amir or anyone else to troubleshoot my setup.

dorirod

Haha, you never know if the dude is in a giant cave of a room. So half serious.
I am less than 9ft (3m) away from the speakers. I am not so far that the speed of sound would matter. By the way, I can turn on the TV's own audio and I hear a slight echo if I have both the external speakers and the TV on. Again, most likely it's my setup, but I would be curious to know if AP can provide some data in this regard.

saZi

I have my TV connected to the optical input, and there's no lag on my setup. With the EX5 connected to my computer by USB I get 4-6ms latency in my DAW at a buffersize of 64-128 samples @48KHz (this is basically realtime, and the latency is not noticeable).

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
There sometimes can be significant differences in latency from different anti-aliasing filters. The EX-5 has several different user-selectable filters. Does the manual give latency specs for them?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am less than 9ft (3m) away from the speakers. I am not so far that the speed of sound would matter. By the way, I can turn on the TV's own audio and I hear a slight echo if I have both the external speakers and the TV on. Again, most likely it's my setup, but I would be curious to know if AP can provide some data in this regard.
I can't say I've noticed a lag on YouTube videos with mine. I'm using optical if it matters.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There sometimes can be significant differences in latency from different anti-aliasing filters. The EX-5 has several different user-selectable filters. Does the manual give latency specs for them?
The filters still perplex me. It's not clear what Amir measured since his don't match up with the order in the user booklet.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Generally speaking, linear phase filters require more processing and have higher latency. However, there may exceptions to this and the difference may or may not be significant.

Top Bottom