• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

rob.f

Hi all. I recently became an owner of an EX5 and I have a fun (perhaps unsettling) story to share which translates in a feature request.

This evening I was chilling on my sofa. When I stood up and headed towards my bedroom, I heard some faint noise coming from my headphones... Weirded out, since I left my MX5 turned on and expected it to go automatically on standby whilst I was away (with no source), I went to check. Once I put my headphones on, I could hear someone else's FIFA game being played on my cans!

This person probably deliberately connected to my MX5 and streamed their game onto my gear! This opened my eyes on some significant drawbacks about the BT functionality:

1. Bluetooth is always on - even when using another, non-BT source and always in pairing mode, unless connected to a device. This means that any person walking by is going to be able to connect freely, as the EX5 does not require any authentication for Bluetooth.
2. It's impossible to understand which device (MAC address/friendly name etc.) is connected to the MX5 as no indication is shown on the display. (Though this might be an hardware limitation which I understand.)
3. It's also impossible to connect any of my devices to the MX5 now, as it's not discoverable anymore. This unknown device is connecting to my EX5 automatically when I turn it on. I will need to factory reset it most likely, with no guarantee that the other device won't be faster than one of mine to reconnect.

Is there any chance to get a firmware update which either allows to disable Bluetooth / enables discoverable mode only when pressing the knob / turns it off when streaming from another mode / makes it so that pairing is only granted when pressing on the knob? I'm considering what my options are here considering my unknown troll neighbor, and I'd prefer not to return the EX5...

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi all. I recently became an owner of an EX5 and I have a fun (perhaps unsettling) story to share which translates in a feature request.

This evening I was chilling on my sofa. When I stood up and headed towards my bedroom, I heard some faint noise coming from my headphones... Weirded out, since I left my MX5 turned on and expected it to go automatically on standby whilst I was away (with no source), I went to check. Once I put my headphones on, I could hear someone else's FIFA game being played on my cans!

This person probably deliberately connected to my MX5 and streamed their game onto my gear! This opened my eyes on some significant drawbacks about the BT functionality:

1. Bluetooth is always on - even when using another, non-BT source and always in pairing mode, unless connected to a device. This means that any person walking by is going to be able to connect freely, as the EX5 does not require any authentication for Bluetooth.
2. It's impossible to understand which device (MAC address/friendly name etc.) is connected to the MX5 as no indication is shown on the display. (Though this might be an hardware limitation which I understand.)
3. It's also impossible to connect any of my devices to the MX5 now, as it's not discoverable anymore. This unknown device is connecting to my EX5 automatically when I turn it on. I will need to factory reset it most likely, with no guarantee that the other device won't be faster than one of mine to reconnect.

Is there any chance to get a firmware update which either allows to disable Bluetooth / enables discoverable mode only when pressing the knob / turns it off when streaming from another mode / makes it so that pairing is only granted when pressing on the knob? I'm considering what my options are here considering my unknown troll neighbor, and I'd prefer not to return the EX5...
Can you unscrew the BT antenna, then see if standing next to it with your phone will help your phone connect to it?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@rob.f You can turn the BT off...

1632333731138.png

You have to do this in the setup menu, you can't do it via the remote...

1632333871230.png

rob.f

Thanks folks - I did indeed forgot that I could disable Bluetooth :facepalm: though it's definitely inconvenient to do this every time, it would have been a bit more convenient if it only turned on when switching to the BT input! Also, I unscrewed the BT antenna as well as I won't be using it that far anyway, so hopefully it should be fine. Hope I can also find this unknown neighbor :p

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks folks - I did indeed forgot that I could disable Bluetooth :facepalm: though it's definitely inconvenient to do this every time

Yes it is. I could switch BT off directly in the menu on my D50s. I didn't have to turn the unit off and on to do this.

nerone

If I transmit Tidal master from smartphone to bluetooth, is MQA decoding complete?

bahamot

If I transmit Tidal master from smartphone to bluetooth, is MQA decoding complete?
MQA decoding is only available through EX5's USB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210924-203723_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210924-203723_Chrome.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 85

pierrefermat1

Thanks
So there is no solution to transmit Tidal master from the smartphone comfortably seated in an armchair?
If you're looking for a solution for this might I suggest bluesound products such as the Node 2i, or anything else that runs BluOS

Careyw

Thanks
So there is no solution to transmit Tidal master from the smartphone comfortably seated in an armchair?
No, not on the EX5. As soon as you go Bluetooth, it's PCM at 44.1 only as far as I can tell. I also read somewhere that under MQA licensing, you're not allowed to adjust any filters a manufacturer may include. So while you are listening to MQA via USB, don't bother playing with the various filters. Even if you think you can detect any difference.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks

Tidal is a streaming service. You want a streamer, that can connect to Tidal, supports MQA and be controlled by a smartphone. No idea if that exists.

Last edited:

nerone

No, not on the EX5. As soon as you go Bluetooth, it's PCM at 44.1 only as far as I can tell. I also read somewhere that under MQA licensing, you're not allowed to adjust any filters a manufacturer may include. So while you are listening to MQA via USB, don't bother playing with the various filters. Even if you think you can detect any difference.
Thanks

nerone

If you're looking for a solution for this might I suggest bluesound products such as the Node 2i, or anything else that runs BluOS
the internal dac doesn't look that good, if i connect it to the coaxial input of the Topping E30 i will always get MQA?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think you can use Tidal Connect to control something like the Bluesound Node 2i from your phone...

Top Bottom