• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

harrybeats_

Mine has the same issue, I have just been playing around with random playlists in Roon and it is doing it when changing from a non-MQA song to a MQA one :confused:
I see. In order to resolve the issue I've currently sent email to Topping Customer service and Thesycon company(related with device driver). :)

Will update you if there is a change!

ps. Please update us, anybody, if there is any ideas/info regarding this issue, please.

harrybeats_

All the more reason to avoid MQA when possible...sorry I am not any help.

I am unsure when my EX5 will arrive but it currently says October 7th...
Yes, avoiding MQA by toggling 'Use Exclusive mode' off and let the Tidal software decode MQA by itself(MQA status LED off, which is PCM mode) will be a great workaround that works for those who is suffering from a little noise at the beginning of MQA-songs. This means no pop noise out at the beginning of an MQA-song when 'turning off Use Exclusive Mode'(PCM decoding mode) in Tidal. :)

I hope you get your product in the fastest shipway!!

harrybeats_

*** Additional info ***
Tidal has been supporting external device DSD decoding mode by toggling 'Use Exclusive Mode' on, in 'More settings'. In this way, MQA gets decoded by not the Tidal software itself, but EX5's DAC chip with MQA status LED on. On the other hand, in the case for 'Use Exclusive Mode' off, EX5 works as PCM decoding mode with MQA status LED off.

The sound seems slightly better by DSD decoding by our great, super awesome device EX5, that is why I'm trying to solve the problem mentioned yesterday. Hope there is a system on Topping EX5 for continuously keeping the decoding mode as DSD while playing MQA-songs by Tidal player.

mastachio

Am I the only one blown away by the price/performance of this thing?! It’s a DAC/Headphone Amp and Preamp with XLR outputs! It literally was everything I was looking for and it solved the loud audible hum I was getting from my Crown XLS 1002 x2 running in bridge mode. This thing completely changed the way I listen to music and did it for only $349. I can’t thank JohnYang1997 enough!

Sensation

There is a tick noise at the beginning of the music when the MQA function is enabled. Please fix it with fast firmware.

MQA activated tick noise Very inconvenient to listen to music.

Please fix it with firmware.

Sensation

I just got my EX5 here and the sound is absolutely marvelous!

Just wondering, does anyone got popping noise issue at the beginning of a MQA-supported song?

There is a tick noise at the beginning of the music when the MQA function is enabled. Please fix it with fast firmware.

MQA activated tick noise Very inconvenient to listen to music.

Please fix it with firmware.

Badou

Hi, I've received my EX5 last week, and I'm a bit disappointed by the power :
I tested it face to face agains my small usb powered Fiio e10k, and the Fiio is much louder at 5/10 volume.
I tested with two headphones : an old sonny mdr-1a, and a brand new Hifiman Sundara.

In fact, to get a comfortable volume with the sundara, i need to push the ex5 (on high gain) at 70/100 at least.
And with the amirm EQ profile, it push to 85/100.

So my questions are :
- is this to be expected ? i would have tought that an amp with dedicated psu would push way higher than that.
- can i run the ex5 constantly on high gain a 85/90 % volume ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi, I've received my EX5 last week, and I'm a bit disappointed by the power :
I tested it face to face agains my small usb powered Fiio e10k, and the Fiio is much louder at 5/10 volume.
I tested with two headphones : an old sonny mdr-1a, and a brand new Hifiman Sundara.

In fact, to get a comfortable volume with the sundara, i need to push the ex5 (on high gain) at 70/100 at least.
And with the amirm EQ profile, it push to 85/100.

So my questions are :
- is this to be expected ? i would have tought that an amp with dedicated psu would push way higher than that.
- can i run the ex5 constantly on high gain a 85/90 % volume ?
Louder doesn't mean it has more power. The fiio might just have more gain. It may be that you need to check if you have any attenuation on the digital side.

On the other hand, yes you can run ex5 constantly on high gain on 90% volume. Not a problem for EX5.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
From two perspectives, one is that EX5 is going to push power way better than e10k no matter what(1300mW against 200mW). Another is that compared to dedicated amps like L50 or A30pro the power is not that much(1.3W against 3.5/4W). But it still has one of the best amplifier in a combo unit.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it arrived today!

I'm having some trouble reconciling the filter settings though.

index.php

PXL_20210909_210820078.jpg

Is the order the same that Amir tested? The slow filters would be #3 and #5 on Amir's test, but that doesn't line up with the user manual.

Also, the default on my unit was F-3.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First impression is good however I don't like how clicky the knob is; it's pretty loud. I've come to like how smooth my other devices are: Denon AVR, Micca OriGen G2, since you won't hear it when changing volume. Maybe it will break in over time. It will probably cause me to use the remote, which I don't prefer when I'm sitting at the desk (and it's slower to volume up/down).

I like the auto turn off of the screen and the ease of operation. Everything else seems good quality.

No signal = silence. This is the problem I needed to solve. Now solved with balanced XLR.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Power use, optical in, XLR out:

Plugged in and switched off: 0 watts
Plugged in and switched on: 6 watts
Turned on and no signal: 6 watts
Turned on and playing music: 6 watts

Turning off the "Auto On" feature resulted in 0 watts consumed when plugged in and switched on, but not powered on. So the standby mode consumes power the same as if the unit is on. I'll leave that off and see how it goes.

Headphones not tested yet.

Last edited:

harrybeats_

Well, it arrived today!

I'm having some trouble reconciling the filter settings though.

Is the order the same that Amir tested? The slow filters would be #3 and #5 on Amir's test, but that doesn't line up with the user manual.

Also, the default on my unit was F-3.

So may I know which number is which one? And what the default setting should be?

Top Bottom