• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hello JohnYang1997

I'm Korean and topping ex5 arrived yesterday.

topping ex5 PCM filter I would like to know the names and uses of 7 filters.

It's not in the manual.

Please provide a detailed explanation.

"topping ex5 PCM filter " 7-Mode
Are you sure it's not in the manual?
Screenshot_20210721-083409.jpg

Cycle through the filters, if you cannot tell the difference, I'd say don't bother with it.

Urushi

If you are playing from a Mac, it is an Apple thing. Apple Music on the Mac does not automatically change the output sampling rate based on what is playing; you have to change that manually using the Audio MIDI Setup tool. Major pain in the butt. Oddly, on iOS devices, automatic switching IS done. John Darko gives a pretty good overview of this topic:
Very helpful! Thank you.
Dumb question: if I use MacOS + Apple Music and I set my EX5 to 192kHz 24-bit via the Audio MIDI what happens when I play a 44.1kHz track? Do I lose anything? I know back when I had Tidal my DAC would switch automatically.

Ranton

Very helpful! Thank you.
Dumb question: if I use MacOS + Apple Music and I set my EX5 to 192kHz 24-bit via the Audio MIDI what happens when I play a 44.1kHz track? Do I lose anything? I know back when I had Tidal my DAC would switch automatically.
In that scenario, Core Audio in MacOS will upsample everything to 24/192 and send it to the DAC. This is probably how I'd go; I doubt there would be any audible degradation due to upsampling.

xtiva200

Does anyone remember when all hi-fi gear had something called an On/Off Switch?

:D

Believe you could use power switch at the back I the unit where you connect power cable? :)

I have mine on stand by.. too lazy to poke my hand behind the unit :)

Cidious

I'm so torn on this device... if I should buy it or not. Please hear me out.

Current setup:

PC1 -> USB -> Topping D50s -> RCA -> Topping A50s -> Sennheiser HD660s, Beyerdynamics closed T1, Fosstex T50rp (modded) etc.
-> USB -> Soncoz LA-QXD1 -> XLR - ADAM T5Vs

PC2 -> USB -> Topping DX3 Pro -> Presonus Eris 3.5
-> Koss KPH30i, Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee etc

Why I have 2 DACs on my main desk is because the Soncoz doesn't have an output switch and the D50s is not balanced (T5Vs are groundloop sensitive)

I've been looking to try to get all of this performance into one device for the main PC and make the Soncoz free for my Sony A80J + Emotiva Airmotiv5 active speakers. At the same time removing device and cable clutter from my desk.

The closest I could come to similar DAC and AMP performance while gaining balanced XLR outputs and getting an output switch is the D30Pro+A30Pro combo, but that's a rather price option..

Now the EX5 is out... The only thing that's lacking is output power. My HD660s don't need tons of power but some of the other cans really do like power .

Now I do planning expanding my setup with a more powerful Singxer SA1 hybrid class A amp and some more planar magnetics for more music focussed listening. But that's more long term.

The EX5 does not have an balanced headphone output. Althoug it is XLR out for the headphone jack it does not seem to be balanced. The A50s does 3.5W @ 32ohm and the EX5 runs out of breath at 1.3W @ 32ohm. I'm pretty sure it will be enough for the more efficient HD660s but still doesn't sit right to do a downgrade.

I might still just keep the A50s on top of the EX5 for AMP purposes. I bet the dual ES9038 in the EX5 are on par with the D50s which has an older design.

Can I have your opinions?

Last edited:

xtiva200

My HD660s don't need tons of power but some of the other cans really do like power

In terms of power to drive HD660, I do not believe you would have issue. I use HD800 and there is plenty of power of power, my volume is at around 50~60 out of 100.

Cidious

In terms of power to drive HD660, I do not believe you would have issue. I use HD800 and there is plenty of power of power, my volume is at around 50~60 out of 100.

Thanks for your input.

I'm trying to decide between getting an D30Pro DAC to replace the D50s and keep the A50s with it. Or risk it and get the EX5 and hope the amp is good enough in comparison to the A50s for my cans and be able to get rid of both A50s+D50s and Soncoz on my desk all in one...

xtiva200

Thanks for your input.

I'm trying to decide between getting an D30Pro DAC to replace the D50s and keep the A50s with it. Or risk it and get the EX5 and hope the amp is good enough in comparison to the A50s for my cans and be able to get rid of both A50s+D50s and Soncoz on my desk all in one...

Sorry only had EX5 for couple of days but DAC side of the unit seem to be better than the amp side. Have not heard A50 so can't really say which is better but here is my very subjective opinion on amp, minds you it might require further burn-in... (i have 2 other headphone amp but they are 10 x more expensive than EX5 so yeah it might not be a good comparison)

Instrument separation is good
Treble extension is good, I could do with more treble
Bass extension is good but feel there is a little hike in mid bass
Sound stage, think this is the this unit's Achilles heel, guess for the price it is OK I guess.....

Cidious

Sorry only had EX5 for couple of days but DAC side of the unit seem to be better than the amp side. Have not heard A50 so can't really say which is better but here is my very subjective opinion on amp, minds you it might require further burn-in... (i have 2 other headphone amp but they are 10 x more expensive than EX5 so yeah it might not be a good comparison)

Instrument separation is good
Treble extension is good, I could do with more treble
Bass extension is good but feel there is a little hike in mid bass
Sound stage, think this is the this unit's Achilles heel, guess for the price it is OK I guess.....

Thanks for the input.

I have decided it's not worth to get it if the amp is not better than what I own already. If I needed it to replace the DX3 Pro.. sure. But not to replace the superior A50s. So here's the outcome.

I'll get the D30Pro DAC first for roughly the same amount. Its DAC performance should be better than the EX5 also. For now I'll pair it with the A50s and sell the D50s to scratch back a bit of coin. And then a little later I'll add the Singxer SA-1 to it and decide to keep the A50s together with the Singxer on the D30Pro or sell it then.

thats probably a better upgrade path from where I come.

the EX5 seems the sweet spot for an allround desktop unit easy to recommend to people that have nothing yet. All in one bang for buck.

thanks guys

Believe you could use power switch at the back I the unit where you connect power cable? :)

I have mine on stand by.. too lazy to poke my hand behind the unit :)
Yes, there is a mechanical on/off switch on the back. I don't like to use it because of the thump.

The top of mine is at 83ºF (28ºC) at the moment in standby mode, in a room that's 77ºF (25ºC).

xtiva200

Curious as to what other amps you use and what you recommend with the HD800

Howard

I use SPL Phonitor X and custom made KT88 SET tube amp.

For me I love tube amp for HD800.. but guess anything not bright should go well I think.. just my personal taste I guess....

donald24

I have decided it's not worth to get it if the amp is not better than what I own already. If I needed it to replace the DX3 Pro.. sure.

There would be really no reason for exchanging a working good DX3Pro for an EX5....

Sonically the DX3Pro is still more than enough, I think the normal guy won't hear a difference on the DAC side, maybe that small power upgrade for headphones could be an argument. But than still, plain SINAD numbers don't go linear with the fun you have with a device. No need for trashing good hardware....

renofury

Bought from amazon.fr and no extra taxes where charged on delivery. Would be looking forward to buy again from the same seller

I did not need to install any driver it worked on windows straight out of the box, MQA worked well on tidal, had both a Blue and a Green Led light up. (No magenta LED thou).

Tried 2 sets of headphones so far
Beyerdynamic T5 3rd Gen
Steel Series Gaming headset (cheapest set I have)

Due to the L30 I was a bit anxious to put in a 1000 euro headphones on my first run. And so I looked for the cheapest headphones I could find and spotted a 15 years old gaming headset from Steel Series, I believe the model was the Syberia. (still sounds really good for the price)

Well the sound was clean, sharp and open and was totally satisfactory with gain set to LO

After listening to a couple of tracks I unplugged the EX5, and put the cables a bit more neatly on the desk, and than connected the T5s. Once I turned the music on I just didn't want to stop listening. With HI gain I can go around 40 before it start to be to loud for comfort.

I do not own any Hi Impedance headphones to test the unit's HA power but it powers my current gear comfortabley so I can easily do without a seperate HA

Last edited:

Cidious

There would be really no reason for exchanging a working good DX3Pro for an EX5....

Sonically the DX3Pro is still more than enough, I think the normal guy won't hear a difference on the DAC side, maybe that small power upgrade for headphones could be an argument. But than still, plain SINAD numbers don't go linear with the fun you have with a device. No need for trashing good hardware....

I agree. So I won't get the EX5 but the D30Pro to replace the D50s instead. Then later I can replace the A50s for a balanced Singxer SA-1 or just add it.

MY DX3 Pro is great for my missus her rig. Does all i need it to do there.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Bought from amazon.fr and no extra taxes where charged on delivery. Would be looking forward to buy again from the same seller

I did not need to install any driver it worked on windows straight out of the box, MQA worked well on tidal, had both a Blue and a Green Led light up. (No magenta LED thou).

Tried 2 sets of headphones so far
Beyerdynamic T5 3rd Gen
Steel Series Gaming headset (cheapest set I have)

Due to the L30 I was a bit anxious to put in a 1000 euro headphones on my first run. And so I looked for the cheapest headphones I could find and spotted a 15 years old gaming headset from Steel Series, I believe the model was the Syberia. (still sounds really good for the price)

Well the sound was clean, sharp and open and was totally satisfactory with gain set to LO

After listening to a couple of tracks I unplugged the EX5, and put the cables a bit more neatly on the desk, and than connected the T5s. Once I turned the music on I just didn't want to stop listening. With HI gain I can go around 40 before it start to be to loud for comfort.

I do not own any Hi Impedance headphones to test the unit's HA power but it powers my current gear comfortabley so I can easily do without a seperate HA

Are you in the U.K.?

Top Bottom