• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Chrise36

Major Contributor
It really isn't clear what you are trying to achieve. Nobody has suggested anything about room nulls. Everyone knows they can't be fixed with EQ, so they are never part of the conversation.

A crossover's job is as the name says - to crossover between drivers. The slopes, turnover points, and special tweaking of sections are designed to work with the specific drivers and cabinet design. Changing the gain on one driver throws a heap of careful design out the window. Any good speaker will have some hidden optimisation in the crossover design, optimisations that will not be obvious. And correct operation depends upon the exact relative output of the different drivers. No crossover is brick-wall, and the out of band response must, and is, considered when considering the overall response of the speaker. In the extreme, if you have a second order crossover all hell breaks loose if the gain is changed.

There seems to a set of rather dated idea and some very specific poor experience with DSP here that is driving a desire for a very specific and unusual (to say the least) approach to system design. It isn't as if this stuff is new or controversial. It is extraordinarily unlikely that varying from the default case of DSP all the way to DACs for with digital volume will not yield the best possible final result. Given a competent modern DAC of almost any price, any noise or distortion products will always be below audibility. Strange hybrid systems will inevitably just yield either a poorer result, or a result that costs more to implement to get the same performance. It was not always so, but the last few years have swung the balance firmly this way.

This isn't to say that it isn't easy to mess it up. We assume competent design. Perhaps, given the history of high-end audio this is not as safe an assumption as one might wish.
I am assuming the best possible system from the source to the speakers.So far i have concluded:

1.best possible dac running at full volume
2 best possible analog volume control
3. 3 or 4 way speakers
3.To be determined:
Dsp at the source or hardware or no DSP but analog eq with the above mentioned method since clean analog peq is not possible according to John.
EDIT:I forgot the amp lol

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am assuming the best possible system from the source to the speakers.So far i have concluded:

Best possible budget?

You have a classic systems integration question, but apparently have the luxury of a scratch start. Best possible is never a real requirement, it is too fuzzy and doesn't actually define the useful requirements properly. There can be all manner of hand wringing about the last drop of SINAD, but the reality is that it just doesn't matter. There is a much wider picture that makes vastly more difference.

Why not just drop the money on a nice pair of Genelec 8351b, sit back and get better sound for the money than you will ever possibly achieve messing about with analog volume controls?
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/genelec-8351b-review-studio-monitor.23432/

Last edited:

ClosDeLaRoche

@JohnYang1997 could you please let us know if this will be suitable for high jitter sources? This hooked up to a power amp would make for a great stereo home theater device. The problem with ESS chips is that if the DPLL setting is set too aggressively the DAC will not work with high jitter sources like a TV.

Also, could this device output the RCA and XLR at the same time? I'd output to speaker amp with XLR and powered subwoofer with RCA.

Thanks!

EDIT: wait, does this not have a remote?

GWolfman

Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 Maybe you've been dodging the question :p or maybe others weren't direct (enough) about it, but any plans for:
  • PEQ/DSP-enabled products?
Also, any interest in including summed/subwoofer output(s)?
@JohnYang1997 Avoided it again. ;)

I'm guessing one of two things: something you don't really want to talk about (i.e., don't want to open that can of worms), OR you *do* have something in development and don't want to spill the beans (i.e., talk about it before its official announcement).

respice finem

Major Contributor

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping EX5 produced exclusively for Shenzhenaudio. The EX5 is slated to cost US $349.99 which it is released. The sample I have is from production run but is awaiting the manual for formal shipments. It was sent to me by Shenzhenaudio.

The EX5 goes into one of my favorite "skins" from Topping with the cute orange LED display:

View attachment 136422

As you can see, this is a combination DAC and headphone amplifier. Note that the XLR style headphone out is for convenience and does not produce more power.

There are however and surprisingly so, balanced XLR outputs:

View attachment 136423

We also have the now standard Bluetooth input.

The remote control cycles through four output modes which selectively turns on the different outputs for both on. I did not have the patience to decode all four modes. :) But I imagine this is very useful to control different output devices using the remote, making this a rather unique multi-function device.

The remote control buttons are a bit "overloaded" with "M" indicating gain mode of the headphone output rather than being "mute." But you get used to it.

The unit runs a bit warm to touch but nothing that concerns me.

Topping EX5 DAC Measurements
Let's start with our usual USB In and XLR out and see what we get:

View attachment 136424

And what we get is excellence from Topping as usual even at these rather budget prices. SINAD is in top 20 of all DACs tested:
View attachment 136425

View attachment 136426

Unbalanced output is essentially the same:
View attachment 136428

Dynamic range is excellent:

View attachment 136429

Intermodulation distortion (60 Hz and 7 kHz signals) is kept very much under control:

View attachment 136430

It nicely beats the first incarnation of this packaging in DX3 Pro.

Multitone test shows super results despite the 32 tones involved:

View attachment 136432

Jitter measurements show some very low level unwanted signals but they are way under audibility threshold:

View attachment 136433

The usual suite of DAC filters are provided with some "correct" ones which is strangely rare:

View attachment 136434

Linearity is nailed:

View attachment 136435

THD+N versus frequency using wide band (90 kHz) capture is sensitive to type of filter you use as that determines how much of the unwanted ultrasonics are let through. Here are a couple of them:

View attachment 136437

Topping EX5 Headphone Amplifier Measurements
Switching to headphone out, here is our very nice dashboard:

View attachment 136438

Interestingly enough SINAD increases by a couple of dBs.

Signal to noise ratio at much reduced output level of 50 mv to simulate what you would get with a very sensitive IEM shows very low noise floor:

View attachment 136439

View attachment 136440

Power versus distortion+noise shows extremely good performance:

View attachment 136441

Distortion and noise are so low that they almost fell off the bottom of this graph! My threshold is 100 mv here as far as power and we have more than that so you should have little problem driving high-impedance headphones.

Same is true of low impedance headphones:

View attachment 136442

You get slight clipping right at the limit of 1 watt which is plenty for vast majority of headphones out there. Indeed, this is a capable of headphone amp no matter what load you throw at it:

View attachment 136443

Output impedance has been going up and down in some Topping products of this class so good to see them target a near zero impedance yet again.

Topping EX5 Listening Tests
The EX5 produced exceptionally good performance with bot my Drop Ether CX and Sennheiser HD650. There was good amount of volume available in low gain and in high gain, it was skull rattling powerful for the second or so I cranked the volume up. Detail, bass performance, absence of distortion -- there were all there. If the sound sucks, it is your content.

Conclusions
I expect nothing but excellence from Topping and we get that here in EX5. The unique feature set of balanced output in this category product put a smile on my face as these devices are usually shipping with just RCA out. The small packaging with orange LCD is one of my favorites. So really, I have nothing to complain about. Shenzhenaudio and Topping have done a great job producing a very functional device with superb performance.

It is my pleasure to put Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 on my recommended list.

Note: this is a brand new product. My testing is only limited to its performance, not functionality and reliability. If you are worried about any risks in this regard, you may want to wait until early adopters test it first.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I see that the DAC filter options are very similar but not identical to those of the ESS DAC in the D90SE. Any idea why the difference?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I see that the DAC filter options are very similar but not identical to those of the ESS DAC in the D90SE. Any idea why the difference?
I think the filter selections are built into the DAC chips. D90SE uses ES9038PRO, EX5 uses 2 x ES9038Q2M. Maybe slight differences between models.

"The Sabre ES9038 family offers 7 filter presets.

* brick wall
* corrected minimum phase fast
* minimum phase slow
* minimum phase fast
* linear phase slow
* linear phase fast
* apodizing fast"

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I think the filter selections are built into the DAC chips. D90SE uses ES9038PRO, EX5 uses 2 x ES9038Q2M. Maybe slight differences between models.

"The Sabre ES9038 family offers 7 filter presets.

* brick wall
* corrected minimum phase fast
* minimum phase slow
* minimum phase fast
* linear phase slow
* linear phase fast
* apodizing fast"
Thanks. I was going from memory. It is the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital I should have compared it with, which still leaves a minor difference.
<https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ct-pre-box-s2-dac-headphone-amp-review.10085/>

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's another quote from a HeadFi'er re: Amir's lack of expertise measuring DACs.

"I think they don't care about, anymore. ASR measurements can not be trusted, they are made by an amateur. Take look at the TotalDAC Six measurements (read my comments in this thread), they are rigged with both 50Hz and 60Hz traces and only one kind can be attributed to a leak coming from a TotalDAC. As the same traces are present when testing Audio GD DAC, it gives an indication that all leaks are coming from the measuring equipment. A ground loops disturbance was so strong during tests that R2R-11 was triggering ladder recalibration every 20 seconds, it is noticed by a reviewer. How he decided to continue in such situation, I don't understand. It is a single ended DAC, less protected from external noise.

Common for all these botchered tests are power supply traces of both 60Hz and 50Hz, a sign that Amir was using power generator converting 60Hz/110V to the 50Hz/220V, these devices required 220V power."

Don't think Amir will appreciate being referred to as an "amateur".

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Technically that is exactly what he is. He doesn’t make a living from this so cannot be anything but.
Amateur gets misused all the time. It doesn’t mean incompetent. Until recent times the Olympic Games were the strict province of amateur athletes.
I would term Amir as a gentleman scientist.
The headfi commentators are remarkably inept. Lots of Dunning Krueger.

THW

Forum Donor
Here's another quote from a HeadFi'er re: Amir's lack of expertise measuring DACs.

"I think they don't care about, anymore. ASR measurements can not be trusted, they are made by an amateur. Take look at the TotalDAC Six measurements (read my comments in this thread), they are rigged with both 50Hz and 60Hz traces and only one kind can be attributed to a leak coming from a TotalDAC. As the same traces are present when testing Audio GD DAC, it gives an indication that all leaks are coming from the measuring equipment. A ground loops disturbance was so strong during tests that R2R-11 was triggering ladder recalibration every 20 seconds, it is noticed by a reviewer. How he decided to continue in such situation, I don't understand. It is a single ended DAC, less protected from external noise.

Common for all these botchered tests are power supply traces of both 60Hz and 50Hz, a sign that Amir was using power generator converting 60Hz/110V to the 50Hz/220V, these devices required 220V power."

I mean just skimming through that Totaldac review again, I’m quite sure Amir mentioned the power supply he was using, how they managed to miss such a large part of the review and think they are clever for revealing such groundbreaking information that totally no one has ever known before, I really don’t know

Chrise36

Major Contributor
This, and spend the money saved for optimizing the listening room. Room acoustics are the worst enemy of good sound reproduction.
I agree with room treatment but after reading Dr. Toole's views in another thread about dsp i totally agree with him because i had exactly the same results in my tries.As for the Genelec i have not heard them nor would i buy them new. Maybe used but i have other options with diy.

respice finem

Major Contributor
That's what's nice about such a hobby, nobody has to do anything "the only right way".

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Head-Fi is flooded with a lot of newbies who have a lot of money to spend on uber high end stuff but don't know much about technicalities and intricacies. I have become very passive over the past 3 or 4 years with the emergence of this new breed of audiophiles. Many veterans that I know of have disappeared from the scene, it's become a lot more commercially driven nowadays.

Herbert

Head-Fi is flooded with a lot of newbies who have a lot of money to spend on uber high end stuff but don't know much about technicalities and intricacies. I have become very passive over the past 3 or 4 years with the emergence of this new breed of audiophiles. Many veterans that I know of have disappeared from the scene, it's become a lot more commercially driven nowadays.

What do you expect with all the hype about vinyl? The funny thing: No professional sound studio would allow
those "experts" from forums like Head-Fi to set up or measure their studio but an "amateur" like Amir,
who simply relies on signal in - signal out. If the signal is unaltered, the gear is perfect.
This is why digital was introduced.
Another story, if the sound signature of certain gear is preferred...

Transmaniacon

Is there anything that is similar to this EX5 that maybe doesn't have balanced/MQA support and costs less? I need something basic for my office, ideally with a volume control knob so I want to get away from Dongles.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Is there anything that is similar to this EX5 that maybe doesn't have balanced/MQA support and costs less? I need something basic for my office, ideally with a volume control knob so I want to get away from Dongles.
Topping DX3 Pro. I have one at work. It exactly meets your request and is a brilliant little device. In reality it is all most people will ever need. I have another one at home that gets used for all sorts of tasks.

Transmaniacon

Topping DX3 Pro. I have one at work. It exactly meets your request and is a brilliant little device. In reality it is all most people will ever need. I have another one at home that gets used for all sorts of tasks.

Thanks! Is ShenzhenAudio ($249) the only place to get it?

Top Bottom