• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

ctakim

Forum Donor
You're not aware of anyone selling a knock-off product are you? When Topping's D10 was poorly cloned it took a while for what actually happened there to become known.

Matsumoto-jo in your Avatar? Is that correct?

ClosDeLaRoche

Does This use the same volume knob at the DX7 Pro and DX3 Pro? I hate it when I twist the knob and the volume changes in the wrong direction.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I don't know about "majority", but I'm spending most of the day in front of a screen, working from home and at the office anyway.
Yes, I would rather not, but I have to, until I'm retired. So decent sound @my PC is important for me, and I know I'm not the only one.
Agreed. My most serious listening station is in front of my work computer because I spend so much time there earning a living.

MNMLSM

I'd love to see one minor feature, the possibility to change the colors of the LED panel. Probably not that important to most buyers but it was quite neat to change the color to white on my Loxjie D30.

Peternz

Any chance that this DAC will be produced with no headphone amp, just the dac?

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Anyone has tested if this superduper prize winner has the same obscene 3rd harmonic distortion when playing stereo like his formerly superduper smsl/topping brothers SU-9 or M500?
I was a former superduper smsl customer that was cheated by the world champions and returned such glorious masterpiece when the other choice was to ship it to china at my expense to get a firmware bugfix.
I am thinking all this sinad festival with countless crowns piled on the same head needs some scrutiny.
Some smsl/topping customers say Emperor is naked. I suggest getting informed before getting enthusiast.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping is heading to be a household name if the long term outlook of the gear is as good as it has been. Another great model from Topping with great features and great test specs.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Anyone has tested if this superduper prize winner has the same obscene 3rd harmonic distortion when playing stereo like his formerly superduper smsl/topping brothers SU-9 or M500?
I was a former superduper smsl customer that was cheated by the world champions and returned such glorious masterpiece when the other choice was to ship it to china at my expense to get a firmware bugfix.
I am thinking all this sinad festival with countless crowns piled on the same head needs some scrutiny.
Some smsl/topping customers say Emperor is naked. I suggest getting informed before getting enthusiast.
Could you please....not always putting smsl and topping together? We are not remotely the same company.

KiyPhi

This is very far from reality actually, the majority of people would rather not spend their listening time infront of a screen.

that's the entire value proposition behind things like Roon and network streamers.

I use my pc/laptop but I don't necessarily have to listen in front of a screen. I have FLIRC and I can just lay in bed. I can also use my game controller or phone to play/pause/skip, etc., the player on my PC. In one way or another, unless you are listening to vinyl straight to your stack, there is some kind of computer you interact with, likely with a screen. With Roon, you control it with a network player that has a screen, a tablet with a screen, etc. Not all PCs have to be something you sit at a desk and use. It is often the most cost effective to get something to allow you to play from your PC and listen where you want with EQ APO. There aren't many things aside from the Qudelix that even has the DSP capability it has. The RME ADI-2 doesn't have that DSP capability and I can make an HTPC or buy a laptop for less than one of those. I think saying a majority is a bit of a stretch as I mainly see PC users listening to music with these kinds of products.

Reactions: THW

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Could you please....not always putting smsl and topping together?
I admit not getting lost into property labyrinths in the minotaur's island is a hard task, but I am sure it is not only me who got confused by the misteriously disappeared www.smsl-topping.com.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I admit not getting lost into property labyrinths in the minotaur's island is a hard task, but I am sure it is not only me who got confused by the misteriously disappeared www.smsl-topping.com.
From what I recall, that was a seller that was selling those two brands. I deal with both companies and there is nothing whatsoever the same in culture, product strategy or my contacts there. So I suggest you not run with conspiracy theorists that make up stories to benefit themselves than any search for the truth.

amarsicola

Forum Donor
there is nothing whatsoever the same in culture, product strategy or my contacts there.
So would you test please for 3rd harmonic distortion in stereo to make sure the smsl culture is not corrupting the topping?

Top Bottom