• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where is that bullshit coming from lol. It's absurd to the point that's hilarious.
Headfi. Trust me, my head almost explode reading that. There's way more of that on that site.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
For $350, these days I would expect PEQ. Qudelix 5k has it for $110.

Without it, it's out of consideration for me. IMO, the Qudelix 5k with a $100 Atom or Heresy blows it away on value.

THW

Forum Donor

Without it, it's out of consideration for me. IMO, the Qudelix 5k with a $100 Atom or Heresy blows it away on value.

tbf, this is a desktop product, I don’t think not having PEQ in it is a deal-breaker since you’re expected to use this kind of thing next to a computer, you can just install Equalizer APO and use the Peace plugin on your machine…

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

That implementation is built around the Bluetooth chip. It's really a whole different story if we are talking about serious DSP equipped DAC/AMPs.

Timbo2

Actually no. I don't know there's D30 knock offs. Please inform me.

Me neither. I was intending to ask a straightforward question as I also can't figure out the original post. I'm not sure why the hostility.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
tbf, this is a desktop product, I don’t think not having PEQ in it is a deal-breaker since you’re expected to use this kind of thing next to a computer, you can just install Equalizer APO and use the Peace plugin on your machine…

This is very far from reality actually, the majority of people would rather not spend their listening time infront of a screen.

that's the entire value proposition behind things like Roon and network streamers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Me neither. I was intending to ask a straightforward question as I also can't figure out the original post. I'm not sure why the hostility.
Hmm. No hostility, my friend. But it may come from the fact when Amir measured the D10 knock off there were many people questioning about OEM, or D10 is made by someone else or licenced. So yeah I definitely know the D10 counterfeit issue.
Then I am seriously confused by what the person in headfi said. What in the heck is that. I'm glad I don't have to take care of those people everyday.

respice finem

Major Contributor
...the majority of people would rather not spend their listening time infront of a screen.

I don't know about "majority", but I'm spending most of the day in front of a screen, working from home and at the office anyway.
Yes, I would rather not, but I have to, until I'm retired. So decent sound @my PC is important for me, and I know I'm not the only one.

Trell

Major Contributor

Your use case is not necessarily the same as everyone else has...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Thank you @amirm The stuff just keeps getting better and better. A balanced DAC with transparent performance and a headphone amp for $350 is a deal. My DX3 Pro is still going after several years.

I hope to see a new generation of gear with more features like equalization, delay and a crossover for subs built in. Something like a MiniDSP SHD for a lower price, perhaps without streaming or Dirac to get the price down.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volume is done in digital.
Works as preamp just fine. But won't be as good as D30pro.
Thanks. good news. But d30pro is 2 units vs one :)
As much as i want this, my hp's are power hogs and need at least 3w. If i read amirs review, this does 1w max @ 33ohms (which mine are).

dorirod

Damn @JohnYang1997 , you must be one of the few to brag about EEs being able to do DAC/Amps and actually proceed to do it over and over again. Nice product , considering buying one myself. I have to echo need for PEQ on your next product. Also if I might suggest, just make the MQA logo a removable sticker. I guess if I have to waste money on it at least want to easily hide my shame.

P.S. does this support LDAC?

Last edited:
Top Bottom