• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Bop

Hi,

Seeking help for a friend: checking to see if he got a lemon unit (on startup he is stuck on the dFU screen)

Steps already tried:
Installing v5.27 drivers from the Topping site
Installing the v1.65 update and it "went through" but still shows v1.41 installed
Unplugging/replugging in the device
Mimicking setupmode in other models

Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• dfuerror.png
    dfuerror.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 232

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi,

Seeking help for a friend: checking to see if he got a lemon unit (on startup he is stuck on the dFU screen)

Steps already tried:
Installing v5.27 drivers from the Topping site
Installing the v1.65 update and it "went through" but still shows v1.41 installed
Unplugging/replugging in the device
Mimicking setupmode in other models

Any other suggestions?
v1.65 does not appear on the EX5 display. Open and check the properties of Topping's ASIO USB driver on the PC side.
Where is v1.41 the marked value?

If you have any problems, please do a factory reset first.

Nango

Major Contributor
Conclusions
I expect nothing but excellence from Topping and we get that here in EX5.

Note: this is a brand new product. My testing is only limited to its performance, not functionality and reliability.
Nor is it a 'new product', nor represents this imho in any way the degree of 'Excellence' to put a 3 year old board with minor capabilities into a desktop case.

Matrix Audio represents 'Excellence' when using tech leading components on their products and being one of the very first doing so.

Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nor is it a 'new product', nor represents this imho in any way the degree of 'Excellence' to put a 3 year old board with minor capabilities into a desktop case.

Matrix Audio represents 'Excellence' when using tech leading components on their products and being one of the very first doing so.
Matrix makes good products, although not always state of the art. However, they also cost far more than the EX5. I don't understand why you even feel they belong in this conversation.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
my EX5 has worked fine. I only use it for streaming Tidal and ripped CDs via USB on my PC, though (and no DSD).

citysoundman

Hi all, I'm looking for a mid-priced hi quality DAC with RCA outs to go to my Rotel stereo (Rotel preamp then Rotel amp) and balanced outs to send to an external headphone amp. So I don't need an amp in the DAC. But this EX5 seems great! Even though there's no 'fixed/DAC mode' setting, should I get this over a DAC-only unit, something like the DX30 Pro? Not sure if this is meant to go line out to another preamp/amp.

Last edited:

Walter

Hi all, I'm looking for a mid-priced hi quality DAC with RCA outs to go to my Rotel stereo (Rotel preamp then Rotel amp) and balanced outs to send to an external headphone amp. So I don't need an amp in the DAC. But this EX5 seems great! Even though there's no 'fixed/DAC mode' setting, should I get this over a DAC-only unit, something like the DX30 Pro? Not sure if this is meant to go line out to another preamp/amp.
In this same price range, you might want to consider the Topping D30pro and the SMSL SU-9 or SU-9n.

citysoundman

In this same price range, you might want to consider the Topping D30pro and the SMSL SU-9 or SU-9n.
Thanks @Walter do you think the D30 Pro is a better sounding DAC than the EX5? I read that it has better dynamic range & SNR, but the ESS chips in the EX5 are better vs the D30 Pro...I honestly don't have experience with DACs but that's some of the things I've learned.

The SMSL looks good but I'm looking for DSD 128 or 256 DoP. DSD DoP is needed for using a Mac as music server which I plan to do - Mac Core Audio I believe only supports DSD DoP.

citysoundman

After some back and forth I'm going with the D30 Pro. Nice to have this site and all the great info here to make an informed decision!

Walter

Thanks @Walter do you think the D30 Pro is a better sounding DAC than the EX5? I read that it has better dynamic range & SNR, but the ESS chips in the EX5 are better vs the D30 Pro...I honestly don't have experience with DACs but that's some of the things I've learned.

The SMSL looks good but I'm looking for DSD 128 or 256 DoP. DSD DoP is needed for using a Mac as music server which I plan to do - Mac Core Audio I believe only supports DSD DoP.
They will almost certainly sound the same as DACs but the D30pro has a better preamp section per John Yang. I know nothing about Mac audio so I can't help there. The D30pro would be my personal choice in the sub $400 price range but that is based on my needs and priorities, which may differ from yours.

GeekyBastard

Matrix makes good products, although not always state of the art. However, they also cost far more than the EX5. I don't understand why you even feel they belong in this conversation.
Because he's a troll, he's spreading this kind of misleading information again and again, even the moderator of this forum nearly had enough of him, better just ignore his post or comment of anything.
FireShot Webpage Screenshot #018 - 'SMSL M500 MKII Review (DAC & HP Amp) I Page 7 I Audio Scie...png

Edit: It's also extremely suspicious with the tone he's been using to praise Matrix Audio's product, while bashing product from other manufacturers, immediately sounds a “internet marketer” alert in my mind.
FireShot Webpage Screenshot #019 - 'Search results for query_ matrix I Audio Science Review (A...png

Last edited:

Lupin

Nango

Major Contributor
Because he's a troll, he's spreading this kind of misleading information again and again, even the moderator of this forum nearly had enough of him, better just ignore his post or comment of anything.View attachment 176095
Edit: It's also extremely suspicious with the tone he's been using to praise Matrix Audio's product, while bashing product from other manufacturers, immediately sounds a “internet marketer” alert in my mind.View attachment 176097
Thanks for promoting my œvre. So kind. Appreciate.

Last edited:

Walter

How exactly is ESS better than CL?
I bet you'll not hear the difference between ESS, AKM or CL.
Yeah, I missed that comment. The D30pro tops the EX5's DAC section in pretty much every measurement.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Yeah, I missed that comment. The D30pro tops the EX5's DAC section in pretty much every measurement.

All beyond any audible difference, both precision instruments with no real weakness. The EX5 with more features and being cheaper is hard to ignore, but there is no wrong choice with either.

John78

Hello,
could someone please answer me if the volume knob is so clicky and hard to move as in dx3pro+? Or is it more like adi 2 dac?

And a little offtop but is there any good DAC with DSP or at least bass/treble setting except RME?

Thank you in advance.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
could someone please answer me if the volume knob is so clicky and hard to move as in dx3pro+? Or is it more like adi 2 dac?

And a little offtop but is there any good DAC with DSP or at least bass/treble setting except RME?

Thank you in advance.

The volume control is clicky with some resistance, but I wouldn't say it's hard to move.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Anyway, this means don't expect software fixes anytime soon, so I'll be returning my EX5. I appreciate Topping taking the time to look into this, but if they can't reproduce the problem then they can't fix it. Which is frustrating, since it is otherwise a great little device. I have an SMSL SU-6 on the way. When I receive it I'll follow up whether it has these other other bugs.
Just to follow up - the SU-6 arrived and it does not have the bugs that the EX5 does.

Gradius

FYI, v5.30 has been out for over a month:

Revision History
-----------------------------------------------------
V5.30.0 (December 1, 2021)

* New: support for Windows 10 (21H2)

* Fix: problem with only one MIDI direction

* Fix: scaling issues in control panel

* Chg: some improvements for MIDI

* Chg: sample rate recovery improved

* Chg: Documentation

V5.27.0 (October 19, 2021)

* Fix: fixed a security vulnerability (update recommended)
* Chg: DspPlugin (Mixer) now works with IN or OUT only devices

Top Bottom