• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I should modify that, actually. The way you do it is by changing the volume, and only by changing the volume or adjusting the control for volume. Then you will see the volume level in the main part of the display. That's obvious to anyone who has it, but maybe not to someone who is reading this and doesn't (yet) own the device.
I'm still curious as to the reason why?

Everett T

Forum Donor
I would rather know the volume setting on my EX5 before starting playing music through either headphones or monitors. The sample rate is useless to me as I have Windows fixed to 96K.
Thanks! I was just wondering. I always turn my volume down to -30 when I power on or off, and the rest of my gear, preamps and AVRs, all have auto on levels.

naviivan

Do you just prefer to see one over the other? As mentioned, no, but I am just curious as to why.
sampling rate is always 44 or 48 I don't need to know it but volume level would be good to see as i use the dac for volume adjustment.

D

Deleted member 35357

Bought the EX5 from Amazon and waiting for delivery next week.

Anything happening that's good to know? Is it recommended to update firmware etc or are these good to go from the package straight up?

Planning to use both the RCA out for a powered speaker setup and the headphone output.
Might connect a Analogue 7-band equalizer between the speakers and the EX5. Depends on how it sounds.
EQ has always been useful in the end to adjust for the speaker characteristics.

I gathered this will allow me to adjust the volume for the powered speakers? Anything to know about it's behaviour as they speakers are full-power always and need adjustment from the source. Can't have 0db signal into them even as a misbehaviour, it will blow them out.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Mine (bought a few weeks ago and now waiting at my new location for me to move house) has had the latest firmware "out of the box". You can adjust the volume, it's a DAC/preamp/HPA. Unless you have to use RCA, I would prefer the balanced XLR outputs. And, IMHO, putting an analog equalizer between the DAC and the speakers can do more harm than good. A "proper" DAC doesn't "sound" by itself, it converts the digital source signal to analog 1:1 (save for the volume attenuation). So, any equalization, or "room EQ" should IMHO be done in the digital domain (external DSP?), without the drawbacks of an analog equalizer. I myself don't like the "hassle" of an external DSP either and prefer nearfield listening, to mitigate some "sins" of the listening room.

D

Deleted member 35357

Mine (bought a few weeks ago and now waiting at my new location for me to move house) has had the latest firmware "out of the box". You can adjust the volume, it's a DAC/preamp/HPA. Unless you have to use RCA, I would prefer the balanced XLR outputs. And, IMHO, putting an analog equalizer between the DAC and the speakers can do more harm than good. A "proper" DAC doesn't "sound" by itself, it converts the digital source signal to analog 1:1 (save for the volume attenuation). So, any equalization, or "room EQ" should IMHO be done in the digital domain (external DSP?), without the drawbacks of an analog equalizer. I myself don't like the "hassle" of an external DSP either and prefer nearfield listening, to mitigate some "sins" of the listening room.

Gotta use RCA for the speaker setup. It's old, but has power. Just been "good enough" not wanting to change the setup. EQ has been helpful to tame the base levels for the most part to have it within reason otherwise you have that house earth shake levels going on unless you go down and adjust the base amplification directly in a course manner which isn't as good as using some EQ beforehand. Just a little extra adjustment to taste there really. (it removes the 60hz buzz to a extent by using the EQ before, than just adjusting the amplification)

As long as the Volume levels work fine this should work good. The XLR I might use when I decide what kind of speaker upgrade I might decide on later on. Not a priority for now but looking around for something to decide on at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skippy2000

I've got a few questions for those of you who own the ex5. I'm tossing up between this and the mx5, as the mx5 is the same price where I am. This is where I'm at:

1. The ex5 has RCA outputs (benefit for myself) and slightly better specs on paper (kHz, DSD, THD etc.)
2. The mx5 is slightly newer, has features like memory and treble/bass adjustment, but doesn't have the right speaker outputs that I need

Does anyone have any opinions on how each sounds? I've also seen that the display on the ex5 looks slightly different - is the panel glass like other products? Is the screen also OLED?

Cheers and happy listening :D

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got a few questions for those of you who own the ex5. I'm tossing up between this and the mx5, as the mx5 is the same price where I am. This is where I'm at:

1. The ex5 has RCA outputs (benefit for myself) and slightly better specs on paper (kHz, DSD, THD etc.)
2. The mx5 is slightly newer, has features like memory and treble/bass adjustment, but doesn't have the right speaker outputs that I need

Does anyone have any opinions on how each sounds? I've also seen that the display on the ex5 looks slightly different - is the panel glass like other products? Is the screen also OLED?

Cheers and happy listening :D

You are comparing apples with oranges. The MX5 contains a power amplifier (to drive passive speakers), the EX5 does not. The EX5 has line outputs to drive a power amplifier or powered/active speakers, the MX5 does not.

You mention RCA output being a benefit, which suggests that you already have powered/active speakers. If you are happy with your existing speakers and have no plans/desire to switch to passive speakers, then you have no need for the amplifier in the MX5. The EX5 works perfectly as a pre-amp (volume control) for a pair of active speakers (that's how I use it).

Also, it doesn't matter which one is newer! Would it be better to tighten a screw with a new hammer or an old screwdriver? :)

The display on the EX5 is an orange backlit LCD. It's very unobtrusive and easy on the eye in a wide range of lighting conditions. I appreciate this because my EX5 sits about 50cm in front of me under my computer monitor.

Skippy2000

You are comparing apples with oranges. The MX5 contains a power amplifier (to drive passive speakers), the EX5 does not. The EX5 has line outputs to drive a power amplifier or powered/active speakers, the MX5 does not.

You mention RCA output being a benefit, which suggests that you already have powered/active speakers. If you are happy with your existing speakers and have no plans/desire to switch to passive speakers, then you have no need for the amplifier in the MX5. The EX5 works perfectly as a pre-amp (volume control) for a pair of active speakers (that's how I use it).

Also, it doesn't matter which one is newer! Would it be better to tighten a screw with a new hammer or an old screwdriver? :)

The display on the EX5 is an orange backlit LCD. It's very unobtrusive and easy on the eye in a wide range of lighting conditions. I appreciate this because my EX5 sits about 50cm in front of me under my computer monitor.
Still learning about audio and seem to miss very critical information along the way :facepalm:. Active vs passive speakers now makes a world of sense, thank you.

I've seen the Topping E30 in person before, and they note it as having an "OLED" display for the amber colours, and I'm familiar with this design - do you know if the EX5 also uses this OLED panel and has a glass cover instead of plastic? I'm just curious as the E30 looked very pretty and didn't appear to be prone to scratches.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen Topping manuals use OLED to mean Orange LED, rather than Organic LED :)

Also, OLEDs (the organic sort) are not necessarily the best choice for a display that stays on all the time and displays a static image (sample rate, volume, etc). My Topping D50s DAC has an OLED display and several people have reported 'screen burn' issue with this unit where the static image becomes permanently etched into the display. I have the display set to automatically turn off on the D50s for this reason.

I can't tell if the display on the EX5 is glass or plastic, but it is quite hard and does not flex at all when pressure is applied. It seems pretty durable to me.

D

Deleted member 35357

My EX5 has arrived.

Started with testing the Headphone output and seeing it's really much better than the alternative I was using that was clearly not performing as it should.

I'm using a Marshall headset but last week the BT part stopped working properly and won't power-on/connect to the BT for wireless audio so had to use it's 3.5mm jack until I replace it for something better. My other device output for 3.5mm headphones was kinda in the gutter so glad to have something that actually works for this.

Next is to clear the clutter on the table to replace the other device for this for line-out as well for RCA -> powered speaker set.
But I really don't use the speakers all too often so using the Headphone output from the EX5 will be the main usage case for my setup.

I was expecting more power for the headphones though to be honest.
Have to pump the volume all the way to 50-60 level for normal usage. Less and it's way to low volume from this device with the headphones I'm using. I was thinking it was gonna be overpowered for these headphones but seems not.
More than enough I will need anyway at those levels.

Everett T

Forum Donor
My EX5 has arrived.

Started with testing the Headphone output and seeing it's really much better than the alternative I was using that was clearly not performing as it should.

I'm using a Marshall headset but last week the BT part stopped working properly and won't power-on/connect to the BT for wireless audio so had to use it's 3.5mm jack until I replace it for something better. My other device output for 3.5mm headphones was kinda in the gutter so glad to have something that actually works for this.

Next is to clear the clutter on the table to replace the other device for this for line-out as well for RCA -> powered speaker set.
But I really don't use the speakers all too often so using the Headphone output from the EX5 will be the main usage case for my setup.

I was expecting more power for the headphones though to be honest.
Have to pump the volume all the way to 50-60 level for normal usage. Less and it's way to low volume from this device with the headphones I'm using. I was thinking it was gonna be overpowered for these headphones but seems not.
More than enough I will need anyway at those levels.
Not knowing the specifics of your headphones, the output of the EX5 generally isn't lacking at all. The number on volume is relative and not indicative of anything by itself.

D

Deleted member 35357

Not knowing the specifics of your headphones, the output of the EX5 generally isn't lacking at all. The number on volume is relative and not indicative of anything by itself.

I'm used to have to keep devices down to real low levels because they crank the volume so fast in comparison so it was a different take to to have so many levels with low volume to adjust.
Nothing bad, something actually preferable in the end.

Nonick

Question for EX5 owners: does your device produce high pitch noise (coil whine) audible from 5-10 cm of the unit?
Powered On or Off (just plugged in power).

Im asking since i received SMSL DO100,
when i press Power OFF button on remote control (DO100 powered OFF) - there is moderate audible high pitch noise 5-10cm from the unit (right above/side of power supply in). Hopefully EX5 doesnt have that problem :)

respice finem

Major Contributor
Question for EX5 owners: does your device produce high pitch noise (coil whine) audible from 5-10 cm of the unit?

when i press Power OFF button on remote control (DO100 powered OFF) - there is moderate audible high pitch noise 5-10cm from the unit (right above/side of power supply in). Hopefully EX5 doesnt have that problem :)
Mine has no noise whatsoever, but I'm 55 years old, so maybe I don't hear it any more...
On the other hand, audible coil whine etc. is not probable, since the unit has no holes.

magchiel

While I'm typically sensitive to that kind of noise, mine is dead silent as far as I'm concerned.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have never heard any noise from my EX5 and i'm sitting 60cm in front of it 10-12 hours per day. I would consider myself fairly sensitive to noise, I built a PC with a lot of noise dampening (lined case, closed loop water cooling, large diameter/low rpm Noctua fans, etc.) and I sent a pair of JBL 305p MKII's back because of the hiss. I turn my MTMs monitors off during the day when i'm working due to the slight, but audible, hiss (which is nothing compared to the 305p's)

D

Deleted member 35357

Having some "glitch" issues with my EX5 hooked with USB & Toslink together.

When I shutdown the device it soon restarts and flips over to Toslink if it was on USB input. Needing you to shut it down 2 times.

There is also a issue when I switch resolution/frequency on my monitor/TV it loses Audio output, needing you to restart the device quickly by a quick power-down->power-on cycle for it to output any sound at all. Otherwise it stays silent.

The No Sound issues is a real hindrance. Any time I start to watch a Movie on my PC I get no sound and need to power-cycle the device.
It's annoying... And not a acceptable behaviour. And the No Sound issue repeats for next movie I play even if resolution/frequency doesn't change for the Display. Needing to power-cycle for each movie/episode I want to watch. (changing input & output source or volume etc doesn't do anything to restore the Audio)

Might be some compatibility issue with the playback software I'm using but it's a real hassle overall. (MPC-HC, MADVR, LAVCODEC]

Not seen it have issues with games etc but I watch a lot of Movies & Series on my PC so having No Sound for each episode is infuriating.
Will check over the software some more but I never had such a issue with anyhing else using that setup.

EDIT: Found a solution. Selected 192Khz 32bit Output from Windows rather than 384Khz 32 bit I had used earlier and the Video playback works without the issues I described above with no Sound Output.

MPC-HC seems not to work with 384Khz sound error free.

Bleib

Major Contributor
If I have the DAC at 100 volume and use RCA to Sabaj A8 amp I can get distorsion in loud peaks of music.

Why doesn't the DAC operate at 2v maximum output? Same for 4v.

Top Bottom