• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Bernd

Forum Donor
Hi there, I got my EX5 2 days ago as my office desktop dac/amp (I also have an RME ADI DAC 2 FS) and after listening to it for about 6 hours now, I have to admit I'm not very happy with the headphone output stage of this device. It sounds flat and and lacks detail. To make sure that it's not the dac portion of the EX5 I connected it to my old LittleDot MK2, and that produces a much better result. I will return it because I wanted a combo

My config: Roon/Tidal - Raspberry PI with RoopieeeXL

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there, I got my EX5 2 days ago as my office desktop dac/amp (I also have an RME ADI DAC 2 FS) and after listening to it for about 6 hours now, I have to admit I'm not very happy with the headphone output stage of this device. It sounds flat and and lacks detail. To make sure that it's not the dac portion of the EX5 I connected it to my old LittleDot MK2, and that produces a much better result. I will return it because I wanted a combo

What headphones? Did you try high gain mode?

Is your other device really neutral or is it juicing the frequency response in a way that you prefer?

Bernd

Forum Donor
What headphones? Did you try high gain mode?

Is your other device really neutral or is it juicing the frequency response in a way that you prefer?

I tried my Focal Clears, Sundaras and AEON RTs all with EQ active from Roon's DSP . High Gain is activated. But ---- thinking of it ---- there is a difference --- the Roon Endpoint is not identical - the RMI is fed by RoopieeeXL and EX5 from Moode - but that shouldn't matter should it. Both are bit perfect, right ??

Just checked that: Moode and RoopieeeXL produce the same sound over Roon (and iterestingly there seems to be a slight difference in Spotify/Librespot)

Last edited:

Careyw

@JohnYang1997 almost afraid to ask with all the anti MQA comments, but what do I need to do to get the mauve MQA LED?
Using Tidal Masters to put the EX5 thru its paces and can see the green and blue light depending on the track chosen, but so far no mauve light.
Have set Tidal for exclusive control and MQA pass thru to leave it all up the the EX5.

Last edited:

Careyw

How did you determine the current firmware version on the EX5? Couldn't find that option anywhere ....

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can see it in the ASIO Control Panel...

1631604710338.png

ziddy76

I am utterly dumbfounded by all the complaints about the volume output on EX5. How many deaf people are using EX5? How severe is your hearing loss? I'm having no issues with a 480ohm R70x. If I set it to 90% volume this would destroy my hearing, deafen me.

ziddy76

Love how this thread starts with objective measurements and then it desolves into the typical Head-Fi subjective nonsense. Noticed that with all the amp/DAC reviews, 1-2 pages of Audio Science Review, the rest is just typical Head-Fi.

xtiva200

I have similar set up as you, Roon --> Volumio Roon bridge plugin

Believe its the headphone out not DAC component. DAC was quiet good. For me what I was disappointed was its lack of imaging and narrow soundstage more than the fact it lacked detail.

Have returned mine but not because of the SQ, as I got this as a MQA DAC, but was because of the heat issue.

Now got DX7 Pro, this definitely has more detail and sound stage than EX5 but not by much.... EX5 still great value AIO unit I believe.

ziddy76

I have similar set up as you, Roon --> Volumio Roon bridge plugin

Believe its the headphone out not DAC component. DAC was quiet good. For me what I was disappointed was its lack of imaging and narrow soundstage more than the fact it lacked detail.

Have returned mine but not because of the SQ, as I got this as a MQA DAC, but was because of the heat issue.

Now got DX7 Pro, this definitely has more detail and sound stage than EX5 but not by much.... EX5 still great value AIO unit I believe.

None of this makes sense. The EX5 I have had running for a week and it's barely warm to the touch and it's outputting my monitors and headphones.

For others who may have read this ludicrous post, there is absolutely no heat problems with the EX5. I have run this at high gain with r70x for months now, the 1/4" output with various other headphones, used XLR output and it's been feeding my monitors. It's the entire system for desktop, absolutely no heat issues. This is a blatant lie.

Don't really care about your golden ears that can measure added detail from the DX7 Pro from the EX5, I'm guessing it's $300 more detail.

@Yorkshire Mouth continue looking in the folder, there are plugins and PDF that help you setup ASIO, if you are using Foobar2000. I think there are instructions for other players as well.

@Chromatischism yes his other device is juicing other sounds, it's called distortion and noise from tubes. He's comparing a solid state amp to a tube amp. /shrug whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom