• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The power cable on this. I presume it’s going to have a Chinese-type plug.
Well I didn't think about that but I ordered from Shenzhen via Amazon. If it comes with a non-U.S. cord I have plenty of extras from all the PCs and electronics I've bought over the years. That was also the case for the Audiophonics amp.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A bit of a different question.

Can I just use an adapter like this? I’m in the U.K.

LENCENT 2X World to UK Travel Adapter, Visitor from USA/Europe/China/Australia to 3 Pin UK Adapter Plug [USA to UK Adapter/ China/AU to UK adapter] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087NCF...abc_FK573KQ7JS05BTTK9P91?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, if the adapter actually has contacts which apply enough pressure to hold the round pins securely. Many don't. However, IEC power cables are cheap and easy to find. A local computer store might sell you a second hand one really cheaply, or an enthusiast friend might have a box of them. I give them away to any friend that needs one and yet still have at least 10 extras.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Berwhale why did you switch back to USB? What does it do that optical can't?

Personal preference and the ability to use the Topping ASIO driver which is better for playing about with VSTs (I have iLoud's ARC3 room correction software which I'd like to get working again). USB also supports higher sampling rates and tends to have less jitter than optical, none of which I would claim to be able to hear.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Yes, if the adapter actually has contacts which apply enough pressure to hold the round pins securely. Many don't. However, IEC power cables are cheap and easy to find. A local computer store might sell you a second hand one really cheaply, or an enthusiast friend might have a box of them. I give them away to any friend that needs one and yet still have at least 10 extras.

Many thanks to everyone who’s replied.

Just to be clear, because I’m good at making very expensive mistakes, would I need one these?

kenable Power Cord UK Plug to IEC Cable PC Mains Lead C13 2m [2 metres] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HVTUFL6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_HRNJYDM0P4YSXH8S70PX?psc=1

I’ve ordered from Amazon U.K., too. Hopefully the question will be redundant.

But while we’re at it, what’s the delivery time usually like from China? Amazon says 22nd September to 4th October. Is that usually right? Generous? Over-confident?

Walter

Yes, that is the correct cord type, although I would hope you could find one for about half that price locally. I've found Amazon delivery estimates to the USA and UK (once) to be correct to within one day, but never had anything coming from China. If you bought the DAC through Amazon UK, I really think you'll get the right power cord. Look at the ad and see if it doesn't maybe show or specify a UK plug.

UrSv

I don't know if anyone has pointed this out but I can't find the EX5 in the Review Index. Is it missing?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A bit of a different question.

Can I just use an adapter like this? I’m in the U.K.

LENCENT 2X World to UK Travel Adapter, Visitor from USA/Europe/China/Australia to 3 Pin UK Adapter Plug [USA to UK Adapter/ China/AU to UK adapter] https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B087NCF...abc_FK573KQ7JS05BTTK9P91?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Ive bought from Shenzenaudio direct via Ali express in the past - as you will be delivering to UK, they SHOULD equip with correct power lead. That has been my past experience. Ditto if gone through the Shenzen front on UK amazon

Sukie

Forum Donor

threni

Major Contributor
If you bought the DAC through Amazon UK, I really think you'll get the right power cord.

You'd think so, but in that case why did my router turn up with a Romanian plug, and this four years after the first complaint in a review that Amazon UK was doing this? Common sense and wishing only gets you so far!

saZi

But while we’re at it, what’s the delivery time usually like from China? Amazon says 22nd September to 4th October. Is that usually right? Generous? Over-confident?
I ordered my EX5 from https://shenzhenaudio.com/ on a friday evening. It arrived the following tuesday here at my post office in Norway. That's 4 days, with the weekend included. On the other hand, I also ordered a Shanling UP5 from them. It has been 3 weeks now, and it has still not arrived in my country. There has been 2 weeks since last update on tracking services, so I'm pretty sure it has been lost in transit. The carrier had told Shenzhen Audio that the package had been confirmed to have arrived in the destination country. That's a week ago, but still no update on tracking.
The EX5 was sent by DHL, the UP5 was sent by 4PX Express.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Well, it's ordered from Amazon UK and on its way.

Funnily enough, I've checked the DHL tracking number, and it says it'll be delivered on 7th September! o_O

I suspect it might just mean it'll be at the next delivery centre by then, but who knows.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, it's ordered from Amazon UK and on its way.

Funnily enough, I've checked the DHL tracking number, and it says it'll be delivered on 7th September! o_O

I suspect it might just mean it'll be at the next delivery centre by then, but who knows.
They have some stock already in the UK so it might be right

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
They have some stock already in the UK so it might be right

Cheers. Not the case this time, though. DHL says it’s coming from China.

F2D6B536-1EB9-4302-8A99-1B55A8C90838.jpeg

harrybeats_

I just got my EX5 here and the sound is absolutely marvelous!

Just wondering, does anyone got popping noise issue at the beginning of a MQA-supported song?

Eneko

I just got my EX5 here and the sound is absolutely marvelous!

Just wondering, does anyone got popping noise issue at the beginning of a MQA-supported song?

Mine has the same issue, I have just been playing around with random playlists in Roon and it is doing it when changing from a non-MQA song to a MQA one :confused:

Top Bottom