• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
As I won’t be using this with sensitive IEMs, I’m not sure the 50mV figure is an issue, but I stand to be corrected.

On power Amir says of the EX5:

“The EX5 produced exceptionally good performance with both my Drop Ether CX and Sennheiser HD650. There was good amount of volume available in low gain and in high gain, it was skull rattling powerful for the second or so I cranked the volume up. Detail, bass performance, absence of distortion -- there were all there. If the sound sucks, it is your content.”

That sounds like enough for me!
It's enough. But don't you want something better? If you just prefer a single unit then EX5 it is, no argument.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
It's enough. But don't you want something better? If you just prefer a single unit then EX5 it is, no argument.

I always want ‘better’ up to the point where I can hear the difference.

Reading Amir’s reviews of the products we’re discussing, looking at the measurements, and reading Amir (and others’) comments elsewhere about when numerical improvements stop becoming noticeable in normal listening conditions, I don’t think I’d be able to hear the difference here.

But I’m asking the question because I’m still learning, and want to be sure before I spend my money.

Thanks again for the input.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I always want ‘better’ up to the point where I can hear the difference.

Reading Amir’s reviews of the products we’re discussing, looking at the measurements, and reading Amir (and others’) comments elsewhere about when numerical improvements stop becoming noticeable in normal listening conditions, I don’t think I’d be able to hear the difference here.

But I’m asking the question because I’m still learning, and want to be sure before I spend my money.

Thanks again for the input.
You can also get away with E30+L30. Even D10s + L30. L30 is transformer isolated so there will be no ground loop.
The idea is what features do you need. Think about it. It's not just about passing audible threshold in measurements.
Would you be using Bluetooth? Do you need preamp for a power amp in the future? Would you be using active speakers? Do you want remote control for inputs and volume? How small do you want it to be? The look? Do you want internal AC supply? Can you live with heavy bulky external transformer supply? There are many more questions to be asked.
If you want the cheapest that is clean for headphones only. Probably the JDS atom stack. Or a cheaper dongle plugged to your phone + JDS atom amp. Or maybe just a dongle.
There will always be certain features you need that's not related to sound quality.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
You can also get away with E30+L30. Even D10s + L30. L30 is transformer isolated so there will be no ground loop.
The idea is what features do you need. Think about it. It's not just about passing audible threshold in measurements.
Would you be using Bluetooth? Do you need preamp for a power amp in the future? Would you be using active speakers? Do you want remote control for inputs and volume? How small do you want it to be? The look? Do you want internal AC supply? Can you live with heavy bulky external transformer supply? There are many more questions to be asked.
If you want the cheapest that is clean for headphones only. Probably the JDS atom stack. Or a cheaper dongle plugged to your phone + JDS atom amp. Or maybe just a dongle.
There will always be certain features you need that's not related to sound quality.

Very, very good questions.

Primarily, I want something transparent to sit between my PC and headphones, with no danger of ground loops.

I’ll be using it in my office. I have a cheap Denon receiver and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze bookshelf speakers. They are currently driven by an old FiiO DAC, and I’m happy with what I have there.

So Bluetooth and other inputs and outputs might potentially have some use which I don’t currently foresee, but aren’t necessary. Truth is, a D10S, which I can pick up later, would be more than fine for that, cheap, not urgent, and more than I really need.

Right now it’s about sitting at my desk with my headphones on (Sennheiser HD600) with the best quality (that’s best quality that I can actually hear, rather than measure) for the lowest price.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Very, very good questions.

Primarily, I want something transparent to sit between my PC and headphones, with no danger of ground loops.

I’ll be using it in my office. I have a cheap Denon receiver and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze bookshelf speakers. They are currently driven by an old FiiO DAC, and I’m happy with what I have there.

So Bluetooth and other inputs and outputs might potentially have some use which I don’t currently foresee, but aren’t necessary. Truth is, a D10S, which I can pick up later, would be more than fine for that, cheap, not urgent, and more than I really need.

Right now it’s about sitting at my desk with my headphones on (Sennheiser HD600) with the best quality (that’s best quality that I can actually hear, rather than measure) for the lowest price.
Do you use EQ? And do you listen to quiet/high dynamic range music like certain classical music? If you combine the two you may want more power for HD600. If you do then D10 balanced+L50 is more suitable. If not D10s+L30 will do the job just fine.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Then D10s + L30 should do just fine.

I’m going round in circles in my head here.

Looking at Amir’s reviews and measurements, the L30 appears to be a better amp than in the EX5, but the latter appears to measure as a better DAC than the D10s.

My brain hurts. But what a pleasant problem to have.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I chose EX5 because it will give clean (balanced) output to my XLR-only powered speakers (I have PC ground loop issues), has a DAC that is clean to the limit of human hearing, and has a headphone output that is also clean (quiet) to the limit of human hearing, even with my IEMs. And, it does it in one box, and it does it better and cheaper than we've seen before. The one thing I see it not doing is exotic headphones that deserve a dedicated amp.

I understand from an engineering standpoint that separate components are better. But for me, the EX5 should be enough. If I find out otherwise, I'll return it and try something else.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just want to say thanks, @JohnYang1997 for taking the time to patiently explain things as you have on the last two pages. You provided very valuable info that I and most likely many others would not have known to take into consideration, and your willingness to recommend a competitor's product in a certain scenario is admirable!

p0int

I chose EX5 because it will give clean (balanced) output to my XLR-only powered speakers (I have PC ground loop issues), has a DAC that is clean to the limit of human hearing, and has a headphone output that is also clean (quiet) to the limit of human hearing, even with my IEMs. And, it does it in one box, and it does it better and cheaper than we've seen before. The one thing I see it not doing is exotic headphones that deserve a dedicated amp.

I understand from an engineering standpoint that separate components are better. But for me, the EX5 should be enough. If I find out otherwise, I'll return it and try something else.
Hi,
May I ask which speakers are you using?

Thank you

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I just want to say thanks, @JohnYang1997 for taking the time to patiently explain things as you have on the last two pages. You provided very valuable info that I and most likely many others would not have known to take into consideration, and your willingness to recommend a competitor's product in a certain scenario is admirable!

Completely agree. Top service, great attitude.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor

Eneko

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom