• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Matey

Hi. I just got my ex5. Xlr out doesn't have 4volt at max volume only 1.4v. Rca 0.7volt. Something wrong with device?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The headphone XLR or the rear XLR? The headphone XLR is single ended, it's wired the same as the 1/4" socket. How are you measuring the voltage?

dorirod

I've been meaning to ask, is there a table that shows what voltage corresponds to the volume levels for both headphones and line out? Maybe @JohnYang1997 or @SHENZHENAUDIO would be so kind as to point us to the right place to get that information or post it here? It would be most useful. Thank you!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi. I just got my ex5. Xlr out doesn't have 4volt at max volume only 1.4v. Rca 0.7volt. Something wrong with device?
Make sure the source is playing at maximum level.

xtiva200

Just thought I'd run my own heat tests on the unit.

Standby Mode
Ambient Temp 24.0°C / Casing Temp 27°C

Operating Headphone Amp - 70% @ High Gain)
Ambient Temp 24.9°C / Casing Temp 33°C

Operating XLR Pre-Out - 40%
Ambient Temp 24.8°C / Casing Temp 33°C

Hmm your temp is reasonable... mine was around 40 at standby...
Anyway very impressed with Shenzen audio support.. have returned the item and got DX7 instead...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
All on maximum. My tv out is louder. Thank you
What's the device you connected EX5 to?

To see whether it's the EX5's issue or not. Try connect to a PC. Use this site to generate pure tone. https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

And you can't use music or many other tone generators. They are usually not at full scale level.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a menu option to turn off the display until another button is pressed to turn it on again? I'm guessing no, but would be nice.

Or, if the display can be dimmed that would work.

Also, what is the procedure for switching outputs without using the remote? Thanks.

Last edited:

Fenix84

Is there a menu option to turn off the display until another button is pressed to turn it on again? I'm guessing no, but would be nice.

Or, if the display can be dimmed that would work.

Also, what is the procedure for switching outputs? Thanks.

Yes, you can turn off the display until you press a button.
Yes, there are 3 display levels, if you wish for the display to be on all the time.

To change outputs on remote (button for headphones, button for line out (switches between RCA, XLR, RCA+XLR)).
To change outputs on the unit, double press the volume button to move through the outputs.

I never change settings on the unit, i always use the remote, much easier.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you can turn off the display until you press a button.
Yes, there are 3 display levels, if you wish for the display to be on all the time.

To change outputs on remote (button for headphones, button for line out (switches between RCA, XLR, RCA+XLR)).
To change outputs on the unit, double press the volume button to move through the outputs.

I never change settings on the unit, i always use the remote, much easier.
Thank you. Sounds much easier to use than the Sabaj D5.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I have been using my EX5 for a couple weeks now.

About the temperature: I can confirm it does get warm. But I've noticed it gets particularly warm when used in LOW gain setting. I have no idea why. I'm on 1.65 firmware version.
Interesting. If I buy this, I will connect my Kill-A-Watt to test power use.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did some searching and didn't find talk of this, so here's an interesting video talking about a discrepancy between ASR measurements and advertised headphone power:

Thoughts? Apologies if it was posted and I missed it.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I did some searching and didn't find talk of this, so here's an interesting video talking about a discrepancy between ASR measurements and advertised headphone power:

I didn't watch the video. But the discrepancy is basically from specified condition. It's specified at 1% in the spec instead of clipping point.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

He made a similar video about the A30Pro.
According to him Topping list the output power of the A30Pro in the spec sheet using 5V input from the DAC. Topping market the D30Pro as the ideal DAC to combine with the A30Pro on the same page. But the D30Pro has 4V out on XLR so you're not going to get the amount of power from the A30Pro as listed in the spec sheet by Topping.

It is the same guy who did a review on the D30Pro and couldn't recommend it due very "odd" reasons. I watched a couple videos of him and I get the feeling he has a general negative bias towards Topping to begin with. So I would take his "conclusions" with a grain of salt.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
He made a similar video about the A30Pro.
According to him Topping list the output power of the A30Pro in the spec sheet using 5V input from the DAC. Topping market the D30Pro as the ideal DAC to combine with the A30Pro on the same page. But the D30Pro has 4V out on XLR so you're not going to get the amount of power from the A30Pro as listed in the spec sheet by Topping.

It is the same guy who did a review on the D30Pro and couldn't recommend it due very "odd" reasons. I watched a couple videos of him and I get the feeling he has a general negative bias towards Topping to begin with. So I would take his "conclusions" with a grain of salt.
So he completely missed input sensitivity which is clearly specified to be 2.7V at high gain. smh

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't watch the video. But the discrepancy is basically from specified condition. It's specified at 1% in the spec instead of clipping point.
He did mention in the video and showed a response from the company that 1.3W would be at higher THD. But according to the AP measurement, that would be beyond clipping. Amir got 1W at the point of clipping. Or at least, it looks like it is. What am I missing?

index.php

Top Bottom