• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

TL;DR
Toppings NFCA topology is bad, 0.0001% THD, 0.0001% "Fun"
Although the XLR HP connector is there only for convenience there is an audible difference between SE and XLR HP output.
It is build/designed to measure excellent but it doesn't sound excellent.
You can't measure everything like transients.
:facepalm:

Swtoby

TL;DR
Toppings NFCA topology is bad, 0.0001% THD, 0.0001% "Fun"
Although the XLR HP connector is there only for convenience there is an audible difference between SE and XLR HP output.
It is build/designed to measure excellent but it doesn't sound excellent.
You can't measure everything like transients.
:facepalm:
He's a subjective reviewer. My own stuff can sound different depending on conditions. But that's more to do with my perceptions than anything else. In other words, not reliable.

aandres_gm

The fact he found a significant difference in sound between two connectors using the exact same output stage should be enough to never watch one of his videos again. What a joke.

Or who knows, maybe the balanced cable was made of 99,99999999% pure silver with 0,00000001% tears of a 6 month old cherub (born exactly during a new moon), which leads to even more transcendentally transcendent transients or whatever.

Big Lenny

Hi
I'm completely new to the forum but have lurked for a week. I have never had a DAC or AMP.

I listen to flacs (a few SACD too) with my BW P7 using my desktop computer with a cheap motherboard from 2016 and nothing else.

I really love how they sound and listen for hours every day and have had them since 2017. But from what I've heard, getting a good DAC/AMP for my P7 would make them sound better. If so, would Topping EX5 be a good choice? It fits my budget of about 400 USD. They are about 23 ohms impedance.

Sensation

Any reviews on the ex5 and active speaker combination?

What active speakers would be ideal to attach?

I want to combine GENELEC 8030c.

Any problems with the ex5 preamp with this combination?

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I'm completely new to the forum but have lurked for a week. I have never had a DAC or AMP.

I listen to flacs (a few SACD too) with my BW P7 using my desktop computer with a cheap motherboard from 2016 and nothing else.

I really love how they sound and listen for hours every day and have had them since 2017. But from what I've heard, getting a good DAC/AMP for my P7 would make them sound better. If so, would Topping EX5 be a good choice? It fits my budget of about 400 USD. They are about 23 ohms impedance.

The EX5 won't have any issues driving the P7 and will provide plenty of headroom should you wish to explore other headphones.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any reviews of the combination of the ex5 and active speakers?

I would like to combine it with a GENELEC 8030c or Hedd Type05 MK2.

Is there any problem with the ex5 preamplifier with this combination?

There should not be any issues, i'll be driving my iLound MTMs via the XLR connections once my EX5 arrives from China. The balanced pre-amp output of the EX5 is a KSP for me. I can't run the MTM's off my x50 stack when using USB to my PC because of a ground loop issue.

Sensation

There should not be any issues, i'll be driving my iLound MTMs via the XLR connections once my EX5 arrives from China. The balanced pre-amp output of the EX5 is a KSP for me. I can't run the MTM's off my x50 stack when using USB to my PC because of a ground loop issue.

iLound MTM
The product was not grounded, is that ok?

What is KSP?

When it arrives, please let me know after connecting xlr ^^

Last edited:

Fenix84

Any reviews on the ex5 and active speaker combination?

I want to combine GENELEC 8030c.

Any problems with the ex5 preamp with this combination?

I'm using mine to run the 8030C and its fine.

mslim

What is the sound signature of the Ex5 like - similar to L30/A90? Or is this too subjective for this forum (LOL).....

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is the sound signature of the Ex5 like - similar to L30/A90? Or is this too subjective for this forum (LOL).....
Waaay too subjective :)

Veri

Master Contributor
What is the sound signature of the Ex5 like - similar to L30/A90?
It is a D10(B) and L30 put into an all-in-one device. So uh. It'll "sound" like an L30 lol.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about the ex5+ 8030c combination?

Not sure what you mean, but if it's the concept of 'matching' amplifiers to speakers, it doesn't really apply here. The amps are in the 8030C and will already be well matched to the drivers by Genelec - it's one of the benefits of an active design.

jae

Major Contributor

The sound signature is that of a properly functioning DAC or amplifier. Which means it is the sound signature of the headphones or speakers you are using (i.e. it doesn't have one).

Sensation

I connect both to the xlr and unbalanced terminals.

Is there any problem with the amp's performance in this case?

For example, change in impedance value, etc.

Is it ok to always have both connected?

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 182

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I connect both to the xlr and unbalanced terminals.

Is there any problem with the amp's performance in this case?

For example, change in impedance value, etc.

Is it ok to always have both connected?
Yes. It's ok. There's no issue doing so.

Top Bottom