• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Pepefer96

I'm in love with the form factor and remote control, even if is just 1w @ 32ohm (well controlled), i don't care even if I have already the atom stack (which is twice power after 32ohm), should I even care for the XA-10?

tvih

Oh man... I was looking at the Topping L30 again, then spotted this thing. It would truly be the endgame thing for me, but then again the L30 might already be as much as I'd ever benefit from when paired with my current DAC (which already powers AKG K702 nicely on its own, funnily enough). No way to make a comparison beforehand, and anyone else's experience with them doesn't really provide meaningful info given how subjective it is.

Sensation

That's hard to say, I have no idea when it will be back for now. Thank you.

I use both games and movies on pc up to foobar 2000 tidal mqa.
How many bits/samples should I set in this case?

Please tell me the optimized bits/samples.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 157

Pepefer96

Oh man... I was looking at the Topping L30 again, then spotted this thing. It would truly be the endgame thing for me, but then again the L30 might already be as much as I'd ever benefit from when paired with my current DAC (which already powers AKG K702 nicely on its own, funnily enough). No way to make a comparison beforehand, and anyone else's experience with them doesn't really provide meaningful info given how subjective it is.

I would take the EX5 just for the convenience of having control remote, xlr out (really nice for monitors) and the Bluetooth, I mean is about 60-80 bucks, and if you really need something more budget there is stuff like schiit stack and zen dac v2

renofury

I would take the EX5 just for the convenience of having control remote, xlr out (really nice for monitors) and the Bluetooth, I mean is about 60-80 bucks, and if you really need something more budget there is stuff like schiit stack and zen dac v2
I was considering getting only the Zen Dac V2, but its output is not enough power on its own so I would have needed to get a seperate HPA. I also strongly considered LAVAUDIO D600 + Topping A50s. In Europe with amazon discounts you can get the D600 for 150 euro making it a bargain, but the total ended costing only slightly less than the EX5. Moreover getting 1 item meant less wires, and the integrated PSU saves you having another large brick on your outlet.

tvih

Yeah, less cabling etc is one of the big draws of an integrated unit. I sure as heck have enough cabling running all over the place, the desk where it'd reside included. Though the current DAC/"amp" has only its USB cable, so there's that ;) But mostly the cost of EX5 is still kinda hard to justify in my situation over the L30, when even the L30's audible upgrade is a question mark.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if XLR provides any benefit at all if it’s not balanced, why not stick to just a single 6.35
If you've got some cans with an xlr plug and don't want to buy an xlr to 1/4 inch adapter.

Riaz-Ahmed

Any opinions or actual experience from folks who have got an SMSL SU-9 or Gustard X16 and think these are better DACs than the Topping EX5 or vice versa?

I have the EX5 to drive my DCA Aeon RT Closed and Fiio FH7 and it sounds clear, natural and punchy to my ears. Btw, the FH7's sound bloody amazing on the EX5, much better than the Aeon's!

Now that I have a bit more to spend, I wonder if the grass is greener with the SU-9 or X16 connected to a dedicated headphone amplifier.

What more do I get in terms of sound from these DAC's in comparison to the EX5 with regards to the headphone and IEM I am currently using and love!

Thanks

P.s. I have probably spent over 20 hours researching alternative DACs over the last 2 weeks but still not sure!

Veri

Master Contributor
Any opinions or actual experience from folks who have got an SMSL SU-9 or Gustard X16 and think these are better DACs than the Topping EX5 or vice versa?

I have the EX5 to drive my DCA Aeon RT Closed and Fiio FH7 and it sounds clear, natural and punchy to my ears. Btw, the FH7's sound bloody amazing on the EX5, much better than the Aeon's!

Now that I have a bit more to spend, I wonder if the grass is greener with the SU-9 or X16 connected to a dedicated headphone amplifier.

What more do I get in terms of sound from these DAC's in comparison to the EX5 with regards to the headphone and IEM I am currently using and love!

Thanks

P.s. I have probably spent over 20 hours researching alternative DACs over the last 2 weeks but still not sure!
If the EX5 and FH7 sound 'amazing' there's really not much to be gained. Don't keep chasing the upgrade dragon if you can help it!

Last edited:

Riaz-Ahmed

Is the EX5 and FH7 sound 'amazing' there's really not much to be gained. Don't keep chasing the upgrade dragon if you can help it!

Thanks @Veri good advice as always!!

I am trying to get the maximum from the DCA Aeon RT Closed headphones which were the bigger investment.

Will a better DAC make them sound better?

Currently they sound a bit flat and sometimes boring with the EX5.

I tried the IFI Zen Can with xbass turned on and they sounded a bit better with a lot more punch but the clarity and cleanness from the EX5 was diminished slightly.

I am trying to not using any Software EQ to make the AEON's sound better. If I have no other choice let me know.

Cheers buddy

Fenix84

Thanks

Try the FH3s

adzil

Is it possible to achieve low latency audio with EX5's Coax SPDIF input? I want to use EX5 as headphone output for my Scarlett 8i6 Gen 3.

I previously considered using A30pro because it has balanced input and still utilize 8i6's DAC but features such as Bluetooth input and digital volume control makes me think twice.

MJG

Getting this for hooking into Kali LP-6W bookshelf powered monitors, the XLR outputs are greatly appreciated.

dorirod

Getting this for hooking into Kali LP-6W bookshelf powered monitors, the XLR outputs are greatly appreciated.
I have the same setup (black LP-6). I am finding that I have to go fairly high on the volume control though 60-70 (leaving gain to 0 on the back of the speakers). I haven't played around with the volume on the LP-6. Also looking to play around with the dip switches at some point. So far though, fairly happy with the combo.

xtiva200

Someone mentioned heat issue when in stand-by status, and I can confirm that mine is hit to touch even at stand-by... about the same as when it is on and playing..... Will test more for few more days and return this.. I have all my audio gear in stand by mode and none has this issue...

Top Bottom