• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

Duckofdeath

Cool looking setup! I'm doing something similar with my Woo WA6...I like having the option of a neutral solid-state HPA alongside a tube amp. I can go for the sound that suits me at any particular time. One plus to the EX5: I think the orange LED display perfectly complements the orange glow from the tubes! View attachment 141411
That is a very nice tube amp. I'd be paranoid with such a big tube anywhere in my home. I bet it sounds great, though.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I see that Audiophonics now lists the EX5 to. Doesn't seem to be exclusive to Shenzenaudio anymore.

Believe its a limited quantity exclusive.

They do have such tie-ups in various products out there. But most of that is in the luxury items arena. Things like watches and bags.
The exclusive seller underwrites the material costs for a certain percentage and gets to have exclusive seller rights for the first production run of a certain quantity or certain period of time.

I think read Shenzhen Audio has a 3000 piece exclusive somewhere.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Believe its a limited quantity exclusive.

They do have such tie-ups in various products out there. But most of that is in the luxury items arena. Things like watches and bags.
The exclusive seller underwrites the material costs for a certain percentage and gets to have exclusive seller rights for the first production run of a certain quantity or certain period of time.

I think read Shenzhen Audio has a 3000 piece exclusive somewhere.
They all source from Shenzhen Audio.

Lux65

Hi all,
First post, however been lurking for a while. My EX5 just arrived, ordered on 4/7 from Hifigo for USD 350, all Luxembourg customs, VAT etc included. Hopefully this will be a good match for JBL 305?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,
First post, however been lurking for a while. My EX5 just arrived, ordered on 4/7 from Hifigo for USD 350, all Luxembourg customs, VAT etc included. Hopefully this will be a good match for JBL 305?

There is no reason for it not to be a good match. Will you be using balanced XLR cables to connect the two?

RFox

Very interesting unit! I was debating back and forth between the DX7Pro and the D70s (which are almost the same price!) and now this comes out :rolleyes: . . . I'm trying to replace an older yet reliable Fiio E09K/E17 Combi together with Adam Audio A5X active near field monitors and a Sub 7 (2.1 setup)

I've been watching many reviews and reading a bunch about these products - and in mid 2019 I tried a DX3Pro, but was underwhelmed and sent it back. From what I can read, I suspect I'd be happier with the AKM based D70s - but open for suggestions / comments / feedback

Any feedback welcome - and Stay Safe!

Veri

Master Contributor
Very interesting unit! I was debating back and forth between the DX7Pro and the D70s (which are almost the same price!) and now this comes out :rolleyes: . . . I'm trying to replace an older yet reliable Fiio E09K/E17 Combi together with Adam Audio A5X active near field monitors and a Sub 7 (2.1 setup)

I've been watching many reviews and reading a bunch about these products - and in mid 2019 I tried a DX3Pro, but was underwhelmed and sent it back. From what I can read, I suspect I'd be happier with the AKM based D70s - but open for suggestions / comments / feedback

If you're wanting a D70s better hurry before AK4497 chips are completely unavailable ;)

For your speakers it'll work wonderfully. What amp would you pair with it, though..?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Many will tell you here that there is no audible difference between an ESS or AKM based DAC when they both measure transparent by Amir.

HansWursT619

Can somebody elaborate on the input and output controls?
1. Is there a quick way to change both without the remote?
2. When using the remote, do you have to cycle through all the options?
3. And finally, are the volume controls independent per output or shared?

Duckofdeath

1. Pressing the volume knob switches output.
2. You can only cycle through the options. On the remote you can at least go backwards, so you're never more than 2 presses away.
3. The volume setting is applied to everything, as far as I can tell. If I set a volume and switch output it stays with the volume I set before.

I do wish that the auto dim mode wouldn't also limit remote input the way it does. As it is now, you essentially have to press a remote button twice to do what you want to do, like change output or volume.

RFox

If you're wanting a D70s better hurry before AK4497 chips are completely unavailable ;)

For your speakers it'll work wonderfully. What amp would you pair with it, though..?

No amp - Adam A5Xs are active and I would use the DAC as preamp ( just like the E09K from Fiio) I mostly listen with speakers, occasionally with IAMs (so extra amp would be overkill) Stay Safe

Ranton

Can somebody elaborate on the input and output controls?
1. Is there a quick way to change both without the remote?
2. When using the remote, do you have to cycle through all the options?
3. And finally, are the volume controls independent per output or shared?
As a general comment, you can download the manual to get a full description of how the controls work. Not the best manual I've ever seen (that distinction probably belongs to RME), but it gets the job done. To answer your specific questions:

1. You can cycle through inputs (USB-COAX-OPT) by pressing the volume knob. Similarly, you cycle through outputs (Headphone-RCA-XLR-RCA+XLR) by double-pressing the volume knob. A long press on the volume knob puts the unit in standby mode. Not exactly intuitive, but it gets the job done. Annoyingly, the unit does not automatically switch to headphone output when headphones are plugged in; my other DACs (RME, Benchmark) can be set to do this.
2. For changing inputs, it is as DoD says. For outputs, there are separate buttons on the remote for Headphones and Line Outs. To cycle between the three line out options, you must press the Line Out button repeatedly.
3. Volume settings are independent for headphones and line out. The RCA and XLR line outs share a common volume setting, which strikes me as a bit odd given that they can be switched on and off independently. I can imagine a use case where you'd want a volume-attenuated signal over one and a line-level signal over the other (e.g., running active monitors connected to XLR, using the EX5 as a preamp, while also running a line-level signal to an outboard headphone amp connected to RCA). I guess doing so would over-complicate the user interface.

Last edited:

virtua

If I dun need the headphone amp function , should I better buy D30PRO ?

Personally, I would still get the EX5 since it has bluetooth as well, which the D30PRO doesn't have. The D30PRO does have a tiny bit better performance but I don't think it would be audible. Outside of this it's also $50 dollars cheaper.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I would still get the EX5 since it has bluetooth as well, which the D30PRO doesn't have. The D30PRO does have a tiny bit better performance but I don't think it would be audible. Outside of this it's also $50 dollars cheaper.
I just did a quick search and agree but I did see something about jitter and compatibility with some CD players?

virtua

I just did a quick search and agree but I did see something about jitter and compatibility with some CD players?

Honestly, I haven't seen anything about that (atleast for the EX5) so I can't really comment on it. Amir did show general jitter performance to be inaudible in his tests though.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, I haven't seen anything about that (atleast for the EX5) so I can't really comment on it. Amir did show general jitter performance to be inaudible in his tests though.
Yes, talking about the D30 Pro when I briefly looked at the review for it.

R.Vic

The D30Pro has very low jitter on all digital connections, but does not work well with some older CD players.
But D30Pro has much better DAC characteristics, especially crosstalk - 145 versus 85, and I think this is audible in comparison - for ex5, because of this, the scene will be narrower, and the detail is lower.
By the way, a similar effect can be checked - there are plugins that emulate crosstalk ...

zerotong1008

Understood, coz I am in China and both of them are having a little bit discount, so I am thinking to get one.
My old DAC USB port has been broken.

Top Bottom