• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shenzhenaudio Topping EX5 Review (DAC and Headphone Amplifier)

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Best way to handle the situation (imo) would have been:

1. let this guy publish his review.
2. discuss the results/opinions like adults, without any accusations the whole time.
3. I think it's unfair to attack this user in this thread permanently if he has no chance to defend himself and I think as you act as a representative of Topping, this casts a damning light on your whole company.
4. I don't know any of the involved parties personally but he doesn't seem to be a nobody, after all he seemed to be the guy who first found the issue regarding the 3rd harmonic issue and the affected SMSL models, which triggered lots of pages and complaints.

No, just no, If you or me made the review it's fine, but he has been banned multiple time and came back with new account that is against forum rule. So he can publish his review elsewhere, BUT NOT HERE. You need to understand the user is banned, regardless he has made this review or not.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
Got mine in today, and gotta say, I'm a big fan. Small desktop footprint, the volume knob feels nice. The whole thing sounds transparent, but we all kind of figured that.

Anyway, as far as usage:

It's the same remote as the D50s, likely other Topping products. Much easier with remote operation, since getting into the menu with the knob and button alone requires a weird power-off sequence, I think? Just use the remote.

The line outputs and headphone output have independent volume settings!

The Bluetooth works well, my iPhone doesn't auto-reconnect which is nice so that I can only connect when I want it to do so.

I think this one's a keeper.

After a couple more days of using it, still a big fan except for the Bluetooth, which sneakily seems to reconnect to my iPhone, when I wonder "why isn't my phone playing sound?" Bluetooth is kind of a nice bonus, might turn it off in this case, but just a heads up.

Also, don't know if it's an issue with Tidal on Windows, but it keeps resetting my settings with the EX5 as far as MQA passthrough/exclusive mode but I also just installed the latest drivers so maybe that fixes it. Otherwise, dunno how much longer I'll even be using Tidal for, so who knows!

Still really happy with it, works great with my Thieaudio Monarch IEMs and ATH-R70X headphones. Especially for the IEMs, I really like digital volume control to lock in precise volume with accurate channel matching.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
After a couple more days of using it, still a big fan except for the Bluetooth, which sneakily seems to reconnect to my iPhone, when I wonder "why isn't my phone playing sound?" Bluetooth is kind of a nice bonus, might turn it off in this case, but just a heads up.

Also, don't know if it's an issue with Tidal on Windows, but it keeps resetting my settings with the EX5 as far as MQA passthrough/exclusive mode but I also just installed the latest drivers so maybe that fixes it. Otherwise, dunno how much longer I'll even be using Tidal for, so who knows!

Still really happy with it, works great with my Thieaudio Monarch IEMs and ATH-R70X headphones. Especially for the IEMs, I really like digital volume control to lock in precise volume with accurate channel matching.
Thanks for the feedback. Normally I just turn off Bluetooth on the phone when I'm not using it. Will see how that goes.

eas

After a couple more days of using it, still a big fan except for the Bluetooth, which sneakily seems to reconnect to my iPhone [...]

That's on your phone. The phone "decides" when/whether to connect to devices it's been paired with.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
That's on your phone. The phone "decides" when/whether to connect to devices it's been paired with.

I'd need to replicate it, but I think I forgot the EX5 and then the EX5 re-paired to the iPhone? I've also used the Bluetooth on the Topping D50s and it behaves in a similar way where it's very aggressive about re-connecting to a phone.

Edit: I might be wrong and had reset the pairing on the EX5, instead of forgetting the device on the iPhone

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'd need to replicate it, but I think I forgot the EX5 and then the EX5 re-paired to the iPhone? I've also used the Bluetooth on the Topping D50s and it behaves in a similar way where it's very aggressive about re-connecting to a phone.
It's impossible that the device would be able to connect to your phone if they are not paired. Seems like software issue on the phone end.
The device wouldn't be able to connect to your phone unless you simply disconnected instead of forgetting the device.

WondrousHippo

Forum Donor
It's impossible that the device would be able to connect to your phone if they are not paired. Seems like software issue on the phone end.
The device wouldn't be able to connect to your phone unless you simply disconnected instead of forgetting the device.

my bad, I think had it backwards where I reset the pairing on the EX5 by holding down the brightness button per the manual, but the iPhone would reconnect to the EX5 automatically?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I just bought the Topping EX5 and got it today. here's my take.

A few month ago I emailed Topping's boss and JohnYang, asking for a device that is

1. combo unit with DAC XLR output and headphone out. For HP out, just use the L30 circuit.
2. low power. use switch power supply so it won't produce a lot of heat. sleep mode should not consume > 0.5W.
3. use single ES9038Q2M and achieve good jitter result
4. small. no desktop clutter, no cable management issue.
5. no MQA shit
6. no traditional ugly topping display.
7. has negative gain for IEM users.
8. <$400

and I can see EX5 implements part of them. Thanks Topping.

Analysis:

1. Topping device does not use a switch power supply that produces both +15V and -15V rails like their competitor SMSL does. So it makes it very hard to deliver -15V rail in a cheap way. On Premium devices they could use premium components such as larger inductors/discrete DC-DC converters, etc. However on this cost saving device they can't. So they just use discrete charge pump followed by a tps5430 to step down into -12.3V.

No, this is not a measurement error. On the PCB I clearly see the feedback resistors are 9.1k and 1k so 1.221*10.1 = -12.33V. So you have a +15V / -12.33V rail for all op amps and headphone amplifier.

I'm not saying they are doing it wrong. but you see who the product targets. In the end you get what you paid for.

2. There's no premium grade components. You won't find things like OPA1612. All op amps in the signal path are LM4562.
LM4562 is not a rail to rail op amp. so with a -12.33V negative rail it would deliver even lower output voltage.
Also, based on my measurement of XLR output and HP out, the power supply is a bit noisier than I expected.

3. The DAC chip is powered by, you guess it, an LM4562 op amp. No ES9311 (which is usually used as power supply chip in ESS designs) is used. The op amp also serve for bias input for LPF op amp. In a classical op amp based power supply, to get a stable voltage without ripple usually zener diode is used for voltage reference. Not here. Usually to do a linear power supply a BJT is used with the op amp to supply more current. Not here. so I'm quite surprised one piece of LM4562 has enough current to support two DAC chips + bias input in a stable way.

Later I saw a PCB photo of Topping D90SE. the 9038Pro is powered by two pieces of OPA1612. OK...

4. The signal path is interesting. works like the following:View attachment 139157

1) DAC differential outputs to LPFs using LM4562.
2) differential outputs from the LPFs go into a LM4562 for summing
3) The LM4562 in stage 2 is used with a TPA6120A2 and form a nested feedback composite amplifier. The architecture is exactly the same as the Topping L30. It's just one chip for both L and R, while in L30 you have two buffers.
4) There's another LM4562 which gets the HP out and inverts it.

Why this is interesting? Well. For rear XLR output. it gets the XLR + phase signal from the class AB headphone amplifier discussed in 3). and the - phase signal is from the inverting signal of a regular op amp 4).
Also more interesting is there's no separate op amp for the RCA output. they share the same headphone amp output.

So for people use XLR output, the + and - signal is getting from chips for different purposes. Also for people who connect XLR and RCA simultaneously, remember they are powered by the same buffer.

In reality maybe it's fine --- After all TPA6120A2 has a lot of power, and can power RCA + XLR simultaneously without any issues. The capacitive load issues (if your speaker/preamp/amp has AC coupled input) may also be fine thanks to the zobel network used in the L30 architecture. But just something you need to be aware of.

5. The last disappointment is from the Jitter performance. In my measurement jitter is quite poor. I wonder why topping was not applying their D10B into this product.

Overall Topping delivers a product in a good price tag. They cut a few corners and able to sell it for $350 but can still get plenty of profit.

I would recommend them further improve this product by
1. using better power supply that can output +/- rails directly. this won't cost more.
2. reduce DAC chip to one. Save more cost.
3. kill MQA. Why would one need it?
4. solve the jitter issue.

I haven't do stability test though. Will report back after a month of using it.

So what were you using for your " measurements" that you mentioned ?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Of that mini review I’d have to ask, do any of those ‘deficiencies’ result in an output which is not transparent to the source?

Because, as far as I can tell, and as an example, the jitter measurements Amir recorded are below the audible threshold.

For me, frankly I don’t care if they clear that threshold by a mile, or just scrape through. If it’s inaudible it’s inaudible.

VariousArtists

my bad, I think had it backwards where I reset the pairing on the EX5 by holding down the brightness button per the manual, but the iPhone would reconnect to the EX5 automatically?

Do you manually disconnect BT from your phone or just turn off the EX5?

I find that for some BT devices if you don’t disconnect them manually from the phone (in the Bluetooth menu in iOS Settings), if will always try to reconnect whenever the device is active and in range. I had this “issue” with Amazon Echo, I wonder if it is the same thing here.

Edit: wording

ReaderZ

Do you manually disconnect BT from your phone or just turn off the EX5?

I find that for some BT devices if you don’t disconnect them manually from the phone (in the Bluetooth menu in iOS Settings), if will always try to reconnect whenever the device is active and in range. I had this “issue” with Amazon Echo, I wonder if it is the same thing here.

Edit: wording

Isn't that the correct behavior? If my car's bluetooth has to be manually connected every time I drive it, I would be looking to sell the car.

VariousArtists

Isn't that the correct behavior? If my car's bluetooth has to be manually connected every time I drive it, I would be looking to sell the car.

It is indeed the most convenient behaviour in the majority of scenarios. I am just wondering if this is what is happening here.

Ryogo

Thanks for the feedback. Normally I just turn off Bluetooth on the phone when I'm not using it. Will see how that goes.
Sometimes you may want to turn on (or do not turn off) bluetooth on your phone to connect some other device (like smart watch, etc).

Lupin

Is there a way to IP-ban users who keep coming back from the dead?
IP banning is a basic option in most forum software, I would be really surprised if the mods here don't have that option.
Don't think it will help that much though, not all that hard to manipulate the IP adres that you use to connect to the forum server.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IP banning is a basic option in most forum software, I would be really surprised if the mods here don't have that option.
Don't think it will help that much though, not all that hard to manipulate the IP adres that you use to connect to the forum server.
Its easy to hop from one ip to another and disguise your ip. IP banning is only useful against those who are ignorant or dont care if they are caught.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
ppbk is gone. He just won’t give up and neither shall I…

‘Here’s the confusing part. He comes back for like the Seventh Time, only to post the Review, I already restored to the Thread. He sure knows how to manulipate a computer but obviously has a reading comprehension problem. Why do all the work necessary to post something that is already posted? :facepalm:

Anyway, this is what we are up against with some people. His IP’s have been recorded as SPAM and eventually this is going to cause him problems with other web sites. Thanks to all the Watchful Members who drew my attention to this person’s return. Appreciate your help Gentlemen:cool:

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If I have Bluetooth enabled on my D50s, it's paired with my phone and the DAC is connected to my PC via USB and the USB input is selected on the DAC: When I put the PC to sleep, the D50s will automatically reconnect to my phone (usually when i'm halfway up the stairs on my way to bed). I usually have Bluetooth disabled on the D50s for this reason.

I just tried replicating this behaviour with my PC connected via TosLink and it doesn't happen (the D50s goes to sleep a little while after the PC, no attempt is made to connect to my phone). So this just appears to be an issue with USB.

Top Bottom