• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shelves for acoustics and player

nuklotrooon

Hello! Tell me someone used similar shelves, how justified they are. From many acquaintances I heard a positive effect, who else had experience.

Attachments

• s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 58
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 57
  • s-l1600[1].jpg
    s-l1600[1].jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 51
OP
N

nuklotrooon

My friends did not use these specifically, but similar ones on spikes. I found these on ebay, I liked the light color. They are massive wooden on duralumin spikes.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
for acoustics and player
For what???

Electronics is immune to mechanical vibration except for some tube amps and when it happens it's usually considered a defect.

A record player can sometimes benefit from isolation (usually springs or foam and some additional mass) depending on what the problem is (if any). Most turntables have some isolation and/or they are dense to minimize noise/vibration pickup.

Speakers may sometimes benefit from isolation but I'm generally skeptical. Speakers mostly vibrate the air and the boxes usually don't vibrate enough to vibrate something else to the point where it makes a sound. If the speakers are on a desk or shelf with a tendency to vibrate & make noise it can happen but usually you can "repair" the desk or shelf or move whatever is rattling.

OP
N

nuklotrooon

For what???

Electronics is immune to mechanical vibration except for some tube amps and when it happens it's usually considered a defect.

A record player can sometimes benefit from isolation (usually springs or foam and some additional mass) depending on what the problem is (if any). Most turntables have some isolation and/or they are dense to minimize noise/vibration pickup.

Speakers may sometimes benefit from isolation but I'm generally skeptical. Speakers mostly vibrate the air and the boxes usually don't vibrate enough to vibrate something else to the point where it makes a sound. If the speakers are on a desk or shelf with a tendency to vibrate & make noise it can happen but usually you can "repair" the desk or shelf or move whatever is rattling.
I meant a turntable for vinyl records.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I meant a turntable for vinyl records.

A wooden board sitting on metal spikes is not going to reduce vibrations by any meaningful amount. Those are both relatively rigid materials.

The simplest solution is an elastic material like sorbothane, which will actually reduce the vibrations.

You can also place sorbothane feet on the source of your vibration issues. However, good speakers and subwoofers should have inert cabinets which do not require this. In an ideal setup, only the turntable should actually require isolation feet.

OP
N

nuklotrooon

A wooden board sitting on metal spikes is not going to reduce vibrations by any meaningful amount. Those are both relatively rigid materials.

The simplest solution is an elastic material like sorbothane, which will actually reduce the vibrations.

You can also place sorbothane feet on the source of your vibration issues. However, good speakers and subwoofers should have inert cabinets which do not require this. In an ideal setup, only the turntable should actually require isolation feet.
Talked to my acquaintance on this topic who has been involved in sound for a long time. He says that the principle of operation is not exactly to eliminate vibrations, but rather to block (change direction) certain sound vibrations that can transfer to the floor and cause parasitic noise from the floor or the surface on which the speaker stands.
The effect is indeed present, but it is audible and makes sense to use with high-quality speakers.
Regarding the vinyl player, the same applies, especially if the speakers cause the furniture on which it stands to vibrate, interference can occur during vinyl playback, as vibrations are transmitted to the needle.

At the link, there are rubber feet, but in my experience, this is the worst method of isolating acoustic systems. It is much better to use felt or some kind of foam material.

Reactions: pjn

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I glue carpet samples under DIY speakers for vibration isolation. But carpet glued under the chopping block wouldn't look real high-end ;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
For what???

Depends on the SPL a little,if they are close to a sub for example they can take some good hits.
We've seen in measurements that even a little tapping on top of the dac affects it.I can post them again if any friend wants to see.

(not that this self will save it of course)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not ANY Persian carpet,simple wool can result in dull sound,wool-silk ones or plain silk is what we are after :cool:
I only use OFC (oxygen free carpet).

Elkerton

On a more serious note, I would first put the stylus down on a stationary record and turn the volume way up. If there is no howl from feedback, you're good to go as is. If there is, the simplest (and cheapest) solution is to buy a 14 to 16" bicycle inner tube, partially inflate it, put a board on top and the turntable on top of that. The turntable should float like a bowl of jelly, which means that the resonant frequency of the set up has dropped below any output of the speakers- problem solved.

threni

Major Contributor
The most important thing is to use a Persian carpet. :cool:
Exactly. You're not going to lift the veil if you don't lift the carpet. It's basic physics.

benanders

On a more serious note, I would first put the stylus down on a stationary record and turn the volume way up. If there is no howl from feedback, you're good to go as is. If there is, the simplest (and cheapest) solution is to buy a 14 to 16" bicycle inner tube, partially inflate it, put a board on top and the turntable on top of that. The turntable should float like a bowl of jelly, which means that the resonant frequency of the set up has dropped below any output of the speakers- problem solved.

Where was this sage advice 10 years ago, when I bought a second 800g record stabilizer… to fasten to the top of my tone arm!? :p

Top Bottom