• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shelves for acoustics and player

ozzy9832001

I don't think they'll do anything for your sound.

I was lucky with speaker stands that I was able to test some from a friend...he's very proud of them. They are huge monolithic structures that weighed about 50LBS each after he added sand or some other material to them. When he brought them over I had to laugh. They looked like posts for an ornate railing you'd see in a colonial style home.

In the end I couldn't hear any audible difference between the stands I use and those. His weren't even adjustable. Mine take up far less space and have a much smaller footprint so I can move them around as I please.

OP
N

nuklotrooon

I don't think they'll do anything for your sound.

I was lucky with speaker stands that I was able to test some from a friend...he's very proud of them. They are huge monolithic structures that weighed about 50LBS each after he added sand or some other material to them. When he brought them over I had to laugh. They looked like posts for an ornate railing you'd see in a colonial style home.

In the end I couldn't hear any audible difference between the stands I use and those. His weren't even adjustable. Mine take up far less space and have a much smaller footprint so I can move them around as I please.
It may be so, but to really hear the difference, you need to listen in the same room, with the same equipment, in the same position. Everything else is not indicative. Only after testing and such comparisons can you understand whether the principles and technologies being applied are effective or not.

delta76

Major Contributor
It may be so, but to really hear the difference, you need to listen in the same room, with the same equipment, in the same position. Everything else is not indicative. Only after testing and such comparisons can you understand whether the principles and technologies being applied are effective or not.
you are getting into the rabbit hole of so called audiophile. they try to improve sound quality by small things that have very very little effect, if at all.

if you want to improve the sound, buy better speakers, get better speaker placement and room treatment. maybe get a better amp if needed, and that's about it.

cables, shelf etc. will not help.

ozzy9832001

That's true, but in your original case with the blocks of wood, there is no science to backup it would be beneficial at all. Speaker stands are used to gain height, move them off a desk or surface or decouple them. The wood is way to hard and wouldn't decouple it at all.

In my case, the speaker stands were so dissimilar that it would have been impossible to test them apples to apples since they functioned completely different. Based on my setup, they wouldn't have worked because they were way to short and I do not like the speakers placed on risers angled up at me. I find they never sound right and the reflections from the ceiling end up being an issue.

OP
N

nuklotrooon

That's true, but in your original case with the blocks of wood, there is no science to backup it would be beneficial at all. Speaker stands are used to gain height, move them off a desk or surface or decouple them. The wood is way to hard and wouldn't decouple it at all.

In my case, the speaker stands were so dissimilar that it would have been impossible to test them apples to apples since they functioned completely different. Based on my setup, they wouldn't have worked because they were way to short and I do not like the speakers placed on risers angled up at me. I find they never sound right and the reflections from the ceiling end up being an issue.
Regarding height, that's an interesting observation. In a room with a sloping ceiling, I noticed a significant change in sound by changing the angle of the speaker by about 1 to 5 degrees, which is almost imperceptible visually. I was amazed at how the sound field in the room changed. But this is important only if you are listening from one fixed point.

benanders

57E1D5C5-1BB5-4071-8776-5CF3C83692A6.jpeg

My joking in previous post aside, it may be a good point to mention I do use a wood block for my turntable. Literally a dense chopping block, 16” x 3”. I wanted something heavy that the spiked feet on the turntable can keep hold on, and I need something that can easily and quickly store away since the turntable’s stored away whenever not in use. So use of a wood block is out of convenience and practicality for my situation. Works great for that purpose.

Top Bottom