• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SHD to bi-amp vs SHD Studio active speakers - which is best?

Krunok

Major Contributor
Volumio is pretty mediocre, I must say.

I guess you are referring to Volumio web interface. I'm also barely using it, except when listening to Internet radio.

I suggest you try BubbleUPnP on Android and Kinsky on Windows as UPnP controllers.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Might want to try Roon to see. I was pleasantly surprised with how easily and thoroughly it dealt with my (obviously not "Roon ready") Marantz 8801 via DLNA. Saw it immediately upon install, sent a stream to it and it turned on, switched to network, adjusted the volume, and was playing 5 seconds later. :) Same with my Denon AVR in the spare room - neither of which are listed as supported.

I know I saw in the minidsp forums that they're working on the Roon side of things - but seems to not be quite ready yet. Still would surprise me if it's incapable of at least similar level of control to a device which was manufactured when Pandora and iHeartRadio were the only streaming services available.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was getting to the same conclusion on the Hiqnet thing...
I am looking at this...

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8

Just USB-8xDigital out...

The SHD Studio's 4 digital outs are plenty for me. I can make a corrected 2.2 system, which is exactly and all that I want.

I do mean the Volumio web app. I'll play around with software and see if I can control everything from an app instead. I wasn't aware that there was a way to directly control a device. I'm 20 years behind on all this.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got it all set up and working, thanks to a run to guitar center for XLR cables. "What's the impedance?" "We have no idea." Thanks, guys. Still, the cables worked for AES.

Of course with the wife and kids home, I didn't get to test it out much.

I stopped by Best Buy today to look at subs. I heard the SB4000 and SB-16, paired with BW Diamond 800s and a bunch of McIntosh gear. Really pretty stuff with huge dials. Anyway, the SB-16 sounded much more powerful and nice than the SB4000 with electronic music. That got me thinking, should I get an PB-16 instead? I definitely have the room for one. Not so sure I have the room for two but I could definitely do one. I'd like that mad bass extension for movies. It's a big room.

And of course if I get the SB or PB-16, I'll need to get a DAC since the SHD has no DAC. I was thinking SMSL M100 for $80, Loxjie D10 for $130, or TOPPING D30 for $90 (sold by SHENZHENAUDIO - are they legit?). I still don't quite understand what the IMD hump would do for music, let alone for a sub that's going to transition at 80Hz.

I wouldn't mind a DAC that has only optical or coax in, but then I don't see any reviewed.

I could also just stick with my good old EASYDAY DAC, currently available for $8.57. https://www.amazon.com/Easyday-Digital-Optical-Converter-Internet/dp/B00UOM6JQS/

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the PB16 and D30 DAC are ordered. I prefer a Grace balanced DAC, but they're stupid expensive 2nd hand and not available through mass drop.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @beefkabob ,
Could you tell your experience with the Sub and the Dac for the Sub.
How was the overall experience?
Thanks
Antônio

Sublime. Having Dirac room correction through an SHD really helps with integration and room issues. Makes the music come alive. If I were starting over, I'd consider two Rythmik FV18s, especially now that I'm getting a man cave. However, the SVS has fantastic software control and much nicer looks than the mail order competitors, at least in piano black. The price difference is noticeable, though. I paid $2200 plus tax for the PB16. The Rythmik get louder for less money. The PB16 go louder than I can stand, though.

Sublime. Having Dirac room correction through an SHD really helps with integration and room issues. Makes the music come alive. If I were starting over, I'd consider two Rythmik FV18s, especially now that I'm getting a man cave. However, the SVS has fantastic software control and much nicer looks than the mail order competitors, at least in piano black. The price difference is noticeable, though. I paid $2200 plus tax for the PB16. The Rythmik get louder for less money. The PB16 go louder than I can stand, though.
Hi,
Did you have sync problems as there are two different Dacs in the system?
Sync problems between Mains and Subs?
Thanks
Antonio

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,
Did you have sync problems as there are two different Dacs in the system?
Sync problems between Mains and Subs?
Thanks
Antonio
I run JBL708p speakers. Each speaker has its own ADC and DAC. I think the PB16 has an internal ADC/DAC chain too since it has internal DSP. But the SVS has no digital input, so I need a DAC to feed it. Therefore I end up with four DACs in the system. I have noticed no issues. I end up bypassing the DSP in my speakers and just use the miniDSP to crossover and integrate it all. The PB16 runs at -14, which means it's a bit louder than the JBL monitors. Then Dirac cuts it down to size.

I'll be switching to an AVR receiver, likely the Denon AVR-X3600H. I hope their room correct and sub integration is as good as Dirac. I'll add a center 708p and two 705p for the rear. End up with a 5.1 or 5.2 system, depending on whether or not I add another sub.

I run JBL708p speakers. Each speaker has its own ADC and DAC. I think the PB16 has an internal ADC/DAC chain too since it has internal DSP. But the SVS has no digital input, so I need a DAC to feed it. Therefore I end up with four DACs in the system. I have noticed no issues. I end up bypassing the DSP in my speakers and just use the miniDSP to crossover and integrate it all. The PB16 runs at -14, which means it's a bit louder than the JBL monitors. Then Dirac cuts it down to size.

I'll be switching to an AVR receiver, likely the Denon AVR-X3600H. I hope their room correct and sub integration is as good as Dirac. I'll add a center 708p and two 705p for the rear. End up with a 5.1 or 5.2 system, depending on whether or not I add another sub.
Hi,
Thanks
Remember two subs are much better than one....

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems legit. I'm generally afraid of designs outside the mainstream.
Can't speak to the first vendor, but Gradient has had some highly respected models. They're the guys who designed a highly regarded subwoofer/ base for the Quad ESL 63s a few years back.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Op,

i own the shd, it doesn’t matter, go for all speakers with built in amps to simplify things.

disable everything on the speakers any let the shd be in charge

2.1 or 2.2 for sure
i use stand alone amps, active speakers, 2 sub pairs...works great

Top Bottom