• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sharing my room with you and asking for some help

Guilherme

Hello,

once I have always been well treated and had elucidated whatever questions I have here, I would like to share my listening setup with you and ask for some improvements I could do just by placing things in my room. I know the best way to measure a room is, well, measuring a room, but I do not have the hardware right now and I think I have some issues that can be resolved by an experient eye (not even necessary a ear). The main doubt I have is about the speakers placement, and my options are written on the left of the image; there are some other metering specifications as well, those I consider relevant to analyse. Another thing is about placing some absorber or diffuser between the glass window and the right speaker.
The room ends (starts) at the right, with the window, having 4meters one wall to another. 16m².
What do you think I should do, considering my possibilities?

Thanks!
audio setup3.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Even after you position the speaker boxes symmetrically...

You'll still have the asymmetry of the mid/tweeter.

If it's good enough for now, let it be.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Getting the speakers to be the same height (tweeter around ear height, although that doesn’t seem to be an option) would be a great start.

Getting them a bit further out from the wall behind could be worth doing, or at least experimenting with different distances (if they sound muddy/boomy now, getting them further from the wall may help).

If you put anything over that window, it should be absorption, as heavy as possible. It’s too close for duffusion.

OP
G

Guilherme

Even after you position the speaker boxes symmetrically...

You'll still have the asymmetry of the mid/tweeter.

If it's good enough for now, let it be.

Getting the speakers to be the same height (tweeter around ear height, although that doesn’t seem to be an option) would be a great start.

Getting them a bit further out from the wall behind could be worth doing, or at least experimenting with different distances (if they sound muddy/boomy now, getting them further from the wall may help).

If you put anything over that window, it should be absorption, as heavy as possible. It’s too close for duffusion.

For now Im gonna let it be. Do not know where to put the aquarium. By the way, why have they done a speaker that way, discentered mid/tweeters?

I've just put a nice table wrapped in a heating blanket for absortion for now. It got a bit better, its not hurting my ear in high frequency voices and winds.

What do you think about opening a hole on the back of the speakers? What about on the sides? These speakers are all closed. Wouldn't it be nice to give some space to the air to get out of there? The makers didnt think about it or what? I really don't get why they did these huge boxes full of speakers when there's "no need" to do so. Well, I'm not sure about that: really prefer my speakers face in several towers I have listened too. But I confess I have never listened to a really GREAT soundsystem...

thanks!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have never listened to a really GREAT soundsystem...

Depending upon where you live, there may be some Audio Salons in your area to visit.

Or, if you list your location, there may be another forum member in your area.

OP
G

Guilherme

Depending upon where you live, there may be some Audio Salons in your area to visit.

Or, if you list your location, there may be another forum member in your area.
In my city I know that there isn't, but near in another state I know there is. Will be searching for it on the go. I live in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. Coordinates near Latitude -30,07, Longitude -51,27. I know I will find a place in Curitiba.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
As mentioned, equal height of speakers is best, and usually speakers need the tweeters to be ear height but that can depend on the speakers.

As far as general symmetry is concerned, your room is not symmetric so it may require some asymmetrical arrangement to get the best from them. Only trial and error will solve that. The key area to listen for is bass. This free CD of bass frequencies may help:

https://realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

A square room is also problematic. Whilst you may not be able to do this some have had success with diagonal placement.

By the way, if you have fish in that aquarium they may not like the vibrations from the speakers. They are apparently quite sensitive to them.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides getting the speakers at the same height try Foobar2000 incombination with mathaudio Room EQ.
it is free en you can modify the room EQ to your liking. Please invest somthing like 50 euro/USD in a measuring mic. I use the Superlux ECM-888 only 45 euro with great results that change my horrible room acoustics.
U9RPC2M.jpg

Latest mesasuring results flat line is used EQ grey line is found reflections in my room. incredible difference.
dyiJ2Yu.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom