• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sharing a balanced (XLR) DAC between speakers/amp and headphones/headamp using XLR switch box?

ethanhallbeyer

So I have a setup that consists of a balanced (XLR) DAC using USB audio source (PC), with the DAC connected via XLR outs to my Outlaw 2200 monoblocks (balanced XLR) and then out to my speakers. Problem is, I also have a SMSL SAP-10 balanced (XLR) headphone amp (no DAC). I want it to go through the same DAC to save money and have been considering an XLR swtich box but was wondering if they make truly balanced versions and if there is an issue with signal/audio quality degradation going this route?

The other route is to get a second balanced DAC for my headphone amp. I can switch which I want to listen to thru Windows, by selecting the desired device for audio output.

If I go this route, the only contenders I know of under $400 would be:

1. Xiang Sheng DAC-05A - Burr Brown Dacs - Balanced XLR - sounds great to me (this is what i'm using now; would rather not have duplicate DACs)
2. TEAC UD-301 - this is more expensive by about $100 than #1, and it includes a headphone amp which I don't really need/want. But I hear good things about this line.
3. SMSL SU-8 - I read there are issues with bad remote controls or IR sensors, based on Amazon reviewer, and issues with possibly getting older revision that may have audio quality issues at higher volumes?
4. Topping DX7 (if I can find one) or DX7s, but the latter in particular is considerably more expensive.

Could I get a $50-$100 balanced XLR switch box and not negatively impact my sound quality or am I better off not using a switch box at all and just get a second DAC for the headamp?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

JustPoo

I need to do a similar thing, I want to feed three amps from the xlrs on my dac. At first I was feeding only two, so I used splitters and it was fine. Now I need to feed three I tried splitting one of the splits again but found that unless all amps are turned on there's distortion. I'm curious why that is but there you go. As one of them is a tube amp I don't really want it running needlessly so I've been looking at selector boxes. This passive one would fit best in my stack but like the OP I'm concerned about it negatively impacting the sound -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07R5XG9CF/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_8?smid=A2M8DEO6BEJ1QF&psc=1

Screenshot_20191118-195437~2.png
Screenshot_20191118-195427~2.png

Does anyone forsee any problems with this product? I could stare blankly inside it all day and not spot a problem so any help much appreciated :)

VeerK

I need to do a similar thing, I want to feed three amps from the xlrs on my dac. At first I was feeding only two, so I used splitters and it was fine. Now I need to feed three I tried splitting one of the splits again but found that unless all amps are turned on there's distortion. I'm curious why that is but there you go. As one of them is a tube amp I don't really want it running needlessly so I've been looking at selector boxes. This passive one would fit best in my stack but like the OP I'm concerned about it negatively impacting the sound -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07R5XG9CF/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_8?smid=A2M8DEO6BEJ1QF&psc=1

View attachment 39288View attachment 39289

Does anyone forsee any problems with this product? I could stare blankly inside it all day and not spot a problem so any help much appreciated :)
thanks for posting this, I’m going to buy it and try it out. I wish I had a way to measure the signal input vs output but I don’t. I don’t see anything particularly offensive about its switching that would introduce noise, but I’m not expert

JustPoo

I have a couple of RCA switchers that aren't dissimilar and I never had an issue with them, any signal degradation is inaudible to me. I'm tempted to make you my canary down the mine, but your bravery is infectious :) I'm going to give it a go too. They're about £40 on Aliexpress but patience is overrated. Now I just need to find some short XLR cables, it's enough of a rats nest back there as it is!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 39288View attachment 39289

I have this one and use it to split the output of my RME ADI-2 PRO fs. No problems so far, works fine as intended. Be careful when ordering one, there is a another version with 3 inputs and one output running under the same name. I have that one as well.

JustPoo

Perfect, I'll be using with my RME-ADI2-DAC so I couldn't ask for a better recommendation. Yeah I was looking through their range of selector boxes, they do a fair few. There's one with toggle switches for 3 into 1 I've not seen before, looks like you could input as many or as few at the time as you liked.

Screenshot_20191121-003218~2.png

I guess with the right cables you could reverse that to 1 to 3 and just leave them all on, although I might run into the same problems as I am with the splitters at the moment. Better off with the right tool for the job but it's a cool product.

I might pick up one of their RCA splitters in the same form factor too, it'd make for a neater looking stack. The ones I bought have the dial on the top so they also have to be placed on top of a stack - not great if you already have a tube amp on top!

There's a multiplex switch that could be handy, it has both RCA and XLR inputs and outputs, it'll go from single ended to balanced and vice versa. The only concern would be how the XLR to RCA is wired as the RME seems particular about that, I had a cable made to their specification. There's probably a whole chapter in that bible of a manual! Looks interesting though -

22b639ee00.jpg.500x500~2.jpg

5512a2cd96.jpg.500x500~2.jpg

raindance

Major Contributor
Xiang Sheng DAC-05A - you might want to send this in for measurements.

I tried to repair one of their preamps and was shocked at the total lack of basic understanding of tube electronics demonstrated in the unit. But what it did have that probably made some folks like it was a very heavy handed loudness control, non defeatable, connected to a center tap on the volume control. Of course it had way too much gain, like most tube preamps, meaning you were running it around maximum loudness boost all the time, so low frequencies were boosted by about 18dB at normal listening levels. Great bass :facepalm:

Guess what the output impedance was? The preamp outs were fed via the volume control which was 100K. Quite a waste as the output stage of the preamp was a White cathode follower, which has a low output impedance and was often used for headphone amps.

JustPoo

I have this one and use it to split the output of my RME ADI-2 PRO fs. No problems so far, works fine as intended. Be careful when ordering one, there is a another version with 3 inputs and one output running under the same name. I have that one as well.

I got it today, works like a charm. Neutrik sockets too which I wasn't expecting. No bleed through or loss of quality that I can hear, it's a nicely built switch. It's twice the size of one of my amps but hey, big is beautiful. And this has a knob and a half. Yup, great knob feel. Knobs.

VeerK

I got it today, works like a charm. Neutrik sockets too which I wasn't expecting. No bleed through or loss of quality that I can hear, it's a nicely built switch. It's twice the size of one of my amps but hey, big is beautiful. And this has a knob and a half. Yup, great knob feel. Knobs.

thanks for checking back in and sharing, my unit is still somewhere out in transport lol

which specific one did you end up getting

JustPoo

Did you import? I got this one, the first one I linked to I think -

Nobsound 1-IN-3-OUT XLR Audio Switch ; Balanced Audio Converter ; (MC103 Pro 3-OUT) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R5XG9CF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_m4y8Db25HQF5J

Heh. Nob. Early Xmas pressie from someone, although I did have to buy some extra XLRs. I was going to go with 25cm ones -

kenable XLR Microphone Male to Female Audio Cable Black 0.25m 25cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011SSBRRM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6-y8DbXW31VGB

But I ended up being impatient as ever and buying 50cm ones because they were next day delivery -

No Bull Music Gear' Premium XLR Cable (Black, 0.5m): plus Free Cable Tie https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LOQ98S4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_g7y8DbNQVAFP1

I'm glad I did get the extra length now and the cables are sound. Nice and flexible with good plugs. My setup looks OK from the front at least... :)

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

Xiang Sheng DAC-05A - you might want to send this in for measurements.

I tried to repair one of their preamps and was shocked at the total lack of basic understanding of tube electronics demonstrated in the unit. But what it did have that probably made some folks like it was a very heavy handed loudness control, non defeatable, connected to a center tap on the volume control. Of course it had way too much gain, like most tube preamps, meaning you were running it around maximum loudness boost all the time, so low frequencies were boosted by about 18dB at normal listening levels. Great bass :facepalm:

Guess what the output impedance was? The preamp outs were fed via the volume control which was 100K. Quite a waste as the output stage of the preamp was a White cathode follower, which has a low output impedance and was often used for headphone amps.

Sorry for the late response. I do notice it the sound doesn't sound thin and the bass is pretty decent, so maybe you are on to something here... all i know is it sounds pretty good to me.. good depth and detail too.. it's on the warmer side which seems to complement more analytical/colder sounding speakers like KEF LS50.

Maybe I should send my DAC-05A dual burr brown DAC in for measurement but not sure if it'll be accepted for that since i don't believe they sell these in a lot of places and therefore interest may be low in results.

OP
E

ethanhallbeyer

Just as a thread update, I did get a JBL M-Patch2 passive XLR switch and it's been pretty good, but I have noticed that when I remove it from the chain and just go DAC->Amp directly, controlling volume from my iPad Pro, with the software player volume set at the lowest audible setting possible, it comes through louder and fuller than with the JBL in the mix.

So it makes me wonder if I'm getting the optimal performance by using the JBL passive XLR switch vs going with DAC->Amp or DAC->Quality Pre->Amp.

Top Bottom