• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would try Variable smoothing. It seems to do the best at taming the high end without touching the bass so much.

The violet trace has some interesting ups and downs. Caused by placement no doubt.

TungstenC

Measurements taken awhile back; Genelec 8030C s on the tilting stand, MMM RTA, Harman target, no smoothing.

Before: (averaged between multiple measurements)
20200706Genelec8030CnoEQ.jpg

After EQ:
20200706Genelec8030CEQ.jpg

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My new-ish Heritage Lintons. RoomPerfect gives smoothest bass but some things in midrange. Left speaker much more free space than the right.

linton ir.jpg

linton eq.jpg

linton rp.jpg

AudioJester

Forum Donor
P
Measurements taken awhile back; Genelec 8030C s on the tilting stand, MMM RTA, Harman target, no smoothing.

View attachment 98552
After EQ:
View attachment 98553

Nice result with EQ!. Is that dip between 300-400 Hz audible? Iam guessing that is a first refection point issue, maybe floor or ceiling??

TungstenC

Nice result with EQ!. Is that dip between 300-400 Hz audible? Iam guessing that is a first refection point issue, maybe floor or ceiling??
I'm not sure how audible it is, but I could test it out this evening.

The speakers are mounted to a stand and placed on top of the desk. It didn't use to have the dip when the Genelecs were placed higher up on a pair of JBL 305P MKii s, as such I suspect the reflections from the desktop below to be the culprit.

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I'm not sure how audible it is, but I could test it out this evening.

The speakers are mounted to a stand and placed on top of the desk. It didn't use to have the dip when the Genelecs were placed higher up on a pair of JBL 305P MKii s, as such I suspect the reflections from the desktop below to be the culprit.

Should be easy to test then, maybe remeasure with some absorption on the desk surface?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes, laptop instead of desktop. I re-worked the file above and captured at 1/12 octave smoothing.

Impressive low end response. Is this the 3800s natural response in your room, or is EQ / room calibration applied?

9radua1

I always have a 300-400 Hz problem. 8 ft ceilings :(

Could be a quarter wave cancelation at the woofer? 350 Hz is about 1 meter, so a surface 25 cm from the driver would do that.

I also have cancelations in that region, no matter what I do...

Last edited:

nick-v

I'm going to run Audyssey from the MultEQ app and take measurements again. It should clear up the balance issue.

TungstenC

Should be easy to test then, maybe remeasure with some absorption on the desk surface?
After some listening, the dip around 300Hz is definitely audible...
I tried placing a pillow on the desk and the side wall but the dip doesn't seem to be affected.
Some other issue.jpg

Before I got the stands, placing Genelecs on my old monitors didn't have the 300Hz dip. (will have to try moving around the speakers to see if there is a better placement) Alas, the desk area is a cubby with cabinets surrounding (~0.5m deep, 1.2m wide, 0.6m high) so placement is limited.
onJBLvsonStand.jpg

nick-v

Impressive low end response. Is this the 3800s natural response in your room, or is EQ / room calibration applied?
That's the natural response. It's a pretty small room. I'll post new measurements when I run Audyssey.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 98552
After EQ:
View attachment 98553

After EQ looks fantastic, though I bet it sounds great before EQ, too. What is your listening distance?
What are you using to EQ?

TungstenC

After EQ looks fantastic, though I bet it sounds great before EQ, too. What is your listening distance?
What are you using to EQ?
Without EQ, I find it too bassy, the EQ tames it just right. The 300 Hz dip makes it a bit hollow, but other than the that the sound is definitely balanced.
The distance is around 70cm from the speaker, if I'm only listening. Usually when I'm browsing the web its around 50-60 cm.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Back in my media room with my Revel F206 speakers (no subs), this is what AcourateDRC did via my miniDSP OpenDRC-DI. I need to work on the tilt a little bit, but that is a very simple affair with this software.

Uncorrected measurement:
Revel F206 No Correction.png

Corrected:
Revel F206 AcourateDRC Corrected.png

Overlay:
Revel F206 No Correction vs AcourateDRC Overlay.png

Against Target:
Revel F206 AcourateDRC Corrected vs Target.png

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I bet that sounds fantastic :D! One of the smoothest I've seen.

It is in fact rather glorious. I did not expect AcourateDRC to be this good, but it is easily worth the $100 and sounds fantastic.

Oddly, tilting down the target curve yields less smooth results. I prefer the smoother, brighter version. It may be using more of the allotted points to change the curve, and fewer are therefore available to smooth the response? The OpenDRC-DI is rather limited in that regard. There may be things I can change in the editor to yield better results, but this does take time with an empty house, and I ran out of it.

Revel F206 Acourate Corrected vs Target - Warm.png

Top Bottom