• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

8bits

I am trying to do some measurements via REW to post here.
Do you use the mic pointing to the ceiling or directly to the speakers? Also, are these just a single sweep or is it some sort of avg of multiple sweeps (dunno if that's even a thing)?

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am trying to do some measurements via REW to post here.
Do you use the mic pointing to the ceiling or directly to the speakers? Also, are these just a single sweep or is it some sort of avg of multiple sweeps (dunno if that's even a thing)?

I usually use the mic pointed at the ceiling in listening position and use the 90 degree cal file. I would show three lines: 1) left channel, 2) right channel and 3) left + right.

I think doing a really long/high res sweep accomplishes the same improvements as multiple sweeps.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I usually use the mic pointed at the ceiling in listening position and use the 90 degree cal file. I would show three lines: 1) left channel, 2) right channel and 3) left + right.

I think doing a really long/high res sweep accomplishes the same improvements as multiple sweeps.

Even if you use the maximum length for a single point sweep, it unlikely that such is going to give the same outcome from multi-point / spatial averaging measurement techniques -- not talking about which one will give you a better improvement -- as EQ in the bass when really bad due to room acoustics will always produce improvements.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
This Google Drive Link has:
  1. The pictures of the room, 3D rendering with measurements and equipment info.
  2. The processor (AVM 70 ARC Genesis) calibration details. I ran the REW measurements WITH ARC calibration ON.
  3. The "House Curve" settings. I have two rows of seats. The main listening position is in the Front.
  4. Raw REW measurements for both Front and Back seats.
  5. Few spectrogram and decay pictures
Dealing with a room mode at 52Hz and relatively lower decay times in the Bass area.
View attachment 227211

View attachment 227213

Around 730 Hz and above of your surround left channel, you seem to have an unusual peaking of the higher order harmonics:

1662055687323.png

It's possible that excessive EQ boost applied in your processor maybe causing some clipping artifacts already at your (relatively not so high) 85 dB sweep levels -- *or maybe it's just the speaker stand/mount vibrating.

Ciobi69

This Google Drive Link has:
  1. The pictures of the room, 3D rendering with measurements and equipment info.
  2. The processor (AVM 70 ARC Genesis) calibration details. I ran the REW measurements WITH ARC calibration ON.
  3. The "House Curve" settings. I have two rows of seats. The main listening position is in the Front.
  4. Raw REW measurements for both Front and Back seats.
  5. Few spectrogram and decay pictures
Dealing with a room mode at 52Hz and relatively lower decay times in the Bass area.
View attachment 227211

View attachment 227213
Nice decay time!

iulianm

Spent some more time today to blend in the subs as adjusting after my ear were much higher and obvious and now it feels like I have no subs :)
Revel M106 & 2 x SVS SB-1000 and I've done L+R measurement and bellow is RMS average with/without sub.
revel.png

YSC

Major Contributor
Spent some more time today to blend in the subs as adjusting after my ear were much higher and obvious and now it feels like I have no subs :)
Revel M106 & 2 x SVS SB-1000 and I've done L+R measurement and bellow is RMS average with/without sub.
View attachment 234734
the sub level seems quite lok and is in room flat, maybe you would want to try increase the sub output by 5-6db?

radix

Major Contributor
I moved to a new house a while ago, and this is the new living room. It's untreated and has pretty bare walls right now. I think I now have enough space in the new place to put in a good sub or two.

living_room_uncorrected.jpg

living_room_dirac2.jpg

goat76

Major Contributor
I moved to a new house a while ago, and this is the new living room. It's untreated and has pretty bare walls right now. I think I now have enough space in the new place to put in a good sub or two.

View attachment 234786

View attachment 234784

It seems to be a volume difference of about 2 dB between the channels before the correction, why is that? Was the microphone at the same distance for both speaker, or did you move it between the measurements?

I mean, there's maybe something like a channel imbalance you should get right before you apply the DSP correction. Just a thought.

radix

Major Contributor
It seems to be a volume difference of about 2 dB between the channels before the correction, why is that? Was the microphone at the same distance for both speaker, or did you move it between the measurements?

I mean, there's maybe something like a channel imbalance you should get right before you apply the DSP correction. Just a thought.

The MLP is not perfectly centered. -- it's show the living room furniture layout ended up. Perhaps I should center the mic and make sure there's not some other imbalance in the system. Thanks for the advice.

txbdan

Imo, the last two posted plots look a bit flat so probably sound a little thin. Personally, I like a bit more tilt than that, around +3.5dB on the low end and -3.5 at 20khz. 0dB at 1kHz.

radix

Major Contributor
Imo, the last two posted plots look a bit flat so probably sound a little thin. Personally, I like a bit more tilt than that, around +3.5dB on the low end and -3.5 at 20khz. 0dB at 1kHz.
Yes, I agree. I had a tilted target curve in Dirac, but it came out pretty flat.

iulianm

the sub level seems quite lok and is in room flat, maybe you would want to try increase the sub output by 5-6db?
Thanks! I've actually done some EQ with REW and Roon with Harman Curve as target and while fiddling with sub levels to get as close as possible to the curve before applying EQ, now I'm back to having bass.
(Revel M106 + two SVS SB-1000)

Left & right speakers before EQ:
left.pngright.png
Left & right speakers predicted response after filter generation:
predicted-left.pngpredicted-right.png
Measurement (both LEFT+RIGHT before and after EQ applied):
measurement.png

Last edited:

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks! I've actually done some EQ with REW and Roon with Harman Curve as target and while fiddling with sub levels to get as close as possible to the curve before applying EQ, now I'm back to having bass.
(Revel M106 + two SVS SB-1000)

Left & right speakers before EQ:
View attachment 254210View attachment 254211
Left & right speakers predicted response after filter generation:
View attachment 254212View attachment 254213
Measurement (both LEFT+RIGHT before and after EQ applied):
View attachment 254214
Please share the EQ filters.

D

Deleted member 4708

Fresh from yesterday:
1672687317156.png

One speaker is close to a corner the other only to one wall - hence the bass difference.

iulianm

Ah, ok.
Attached them. It's the first time when I'm playing with REW and ROON with EQ and these filters are after reducing the target level to minimize boosting frequencies as much as I can.

Attachments

• revel-svs-harman-curve-left.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 32
  • revel-svs-harman-curve-right.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 35

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
This is where I have ended up with my KEF R3s in my home office using targeted room treatment and Dirac Live Standalone. Things are a hair bright at the very top end, but I am pushing 50 and need some help above ~14KHz anyway. I am very pleased with this result.

KEF R3 Left Dirac to 1000Hz.png

KEF R3 Right Dirac to 1000Hz.png

If this is actually a true representation of how we hear, well...

KEF R3 Left Dirac to 1KHz Psy.png

KEF R3 Right Dirac to 1KHz Psy.png

Top Bottom