• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The dips just below 200Hz and at 250Hz are 7dB below the PIR. Are these easily dealt with by EQ? I keep reading on here not to EQ up dips.
You’re correct, the dips below 250Hz are basically the summation of all the individual cancellations that occurred in different microphone positions as the microphone moved around.

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The dips just below 200Hz and at 250Hz are 7dB below the PIR. Are these easily dealt with by EQ? I keep reading on here not to EQ up dips.
A dip should not be equalized if it is above the transition frequency or if it is a null. Non-null dips below the transition frequency can be equalized at the expense of headroom.

dadregga

What I had been doing until now was
- using my old Denon receiver with regular-ass Audyssey MultEq and the included mic
- copying the measurements Audessy Flat came up with into a Roon EQ filter, and switching off Audyssey on the receiver/using Direct mode
- Doing a software crossover (also via Roon EQ)

and then a bit of room treatment with cheap traps in the corners, and a sub crawl placement. Amateurish, hugely imperfect, but better than nothing and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Today I got my UMIK-1 and took some measurements of the above setup and I'm actually pretty happy (and pretty surprised) that above set of hacks/playing it by ear already got me something this flat. I was expecting way worse, given the room shape.

Excited to do better now, but it goes to show what even a little bit of basic tweaking can do to help things.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 12.15.13 AM.png

YSC

Major Contributor
What I had been doing until now was
- using my old Denon receiver with regular-ass Audyssey MultEq and the included mic
- copying the measurements Audessy Flat came up with into a Roon EQ filter, and switching off Audyssey on the receiver/using Direct mode
- Doing a software crossover (also via Roon EQ)

and then a bit of room treatment with cheap traps in the corners, and a sub crawl placement. Amateurish, hugely imperfect, but better than nothing and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Today I got my UMIK-1 and took some measurements of the above setup and I'm actually pretty happy (and pretty surprised) that above set of hacks/playing it by ear already got me something this flat. I was expecting way worse, given the room shape.

Excited to do better now, but it goes to show what even a little bit of basic tweaking can do to help things.

View attachment 189963
Try go 1/12 smoothing and do some eq filters for the bass to make it to your preference curve? Seems like there isn’t a huge null in bass so you could easily eq it to taste

warthor

I have a question about EQing the bass response with the MiniDSP 2x4HD. I am trying to follow up and get some more measurements. Should the target frequency for 10-80 be flat? That seems to be what research from Toole indicates, but I might be wrong. Home Theather Gurus (on youtube) says that the response should be a declining slope over about 10 db.

YSC

Major Contributor
I have a question about EQing the bass response with the MiniDSP 2x4HD. I am trying to follow up and get some more measurements. Should the target frequency for 10-80 be flat? That seems to be what research from Toole indicates, but I might be wrong. Home Theather Gurus (on youtube) says that the response should be a declining slope over about 10 db.
I just used the Harman Curve with 6db plateau at the bass frequency and it sounded perfect to my taste

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
My speakers are desk mounted and sandwiched between two bookcases. I should probably stick to headphone listening really. Oddly enough to my ears the system sounds a little bright. Measurements don't support that though. This hobby will drive you mad if you let it.
View attachment 64863

Haven't managed to find a correction I can live with yet. I don't know whether I just got used to the sound as is or what I hear isn't what the Mic hears.
It sounds bright since your bass is missing level

valrak66

1/12 smoothing
Setup is :
- Monitors : Genelec 8030C
- Sub : BK Electronics GEMINI

Measurements are done with a Behringer ECM8000 so not the most accurate.
Room is'nt treated and is filled with a lot of stuff (desk, screen, shelves, ...)

With EQ :

genelec 8030C+gemini.png

No EQ, No Sub:
Genelec 8030C no EQ no sub.png

Heavy EQ Settings :
# GraphicEQ: 20.6 0.1; 31.5 0; 40 0; 55 0; 63 0; 78.9 -3; 98.2 0.5; 118 -10; 160 -10; 212 7.8; 222 3; 300 7; 360 7; 385 -10; 400 3; 430 3; 550 2; 616 -5; 676 6; 678 2; 1062 7; 1480 5; 2600 6; 3400 1; 4406.9 3; 5410 3; 6430 0; 7900 0; 9000 2; 13222 2; 20000 5
1646252084129.png

Last edited:

flipflop

1/12 smoothing
Setup is :
- Monitors : Genelec 8030C
- Sub : BK Electronics GEMINI

Measurements are done with a Behringer ECM8000 so not the most accurate.
Room is'nt treated and is filled with a lot of stuff (desk, screen, shelves, ...)

With EQ :

View attachment 190055

No EQ, No Sub:
View attachment 190056
Please share the EQ filters you are using.

warthor

I just used the Harman Curve with 6db plateau at the bass frequency and it sounded perfect to my taste
How do I implement this type of curve with REW and Minidsp? Excuse my ignorance.

RMW_NJ

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2-EX. I have 5 of them in my modest home theater. I enjoy them quite a bit…maybe slightly bright on certain tracks, but I think it might also be because of the very wide dispersion paired with my small room. Probably the most bass I’ve ever heard in a speaker this size. The uncorrected Audyssey measurements align quite well with the Klippel EIR Dave has posted.
8093688A-A619-4A21-A1B5-C1A8C96B1C1E.jpeg

Last edited:

Eetu

Forum Donor
How do I implement this type of curve with REW and Minidsp? Excuse my ignorance.
Save this Harman txt file and add it as a 'House curve' in REW settings. Then let REW create the EQ filters for your in-room measurements (using the house curve as target). Remember to disable the EQ modules own 'Add room curve'. See this for more info. You can also limit the EQ corrections to only bass/mids and see which you prefer.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Save this Harman txt file and add it as a 'House curve' in REW settings. Then let REW create the EQ filters for your in-room measurements (using the house curve as target). Remember to disable the EQ modules own 'Add room curve'. See this for more info. You can also limit the EQ corrections to only bass/mids and see which you prefer.

Some people (like me) find the 5dB bass boost to be annoying over time. I use a 2dB boost instead.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It was moving things around in the living room saturday so here you go, Vector average is with 1/12 smoothing. I just need to reduce seat to seat variation at 35Hz.

1646565463802.jpeg

1646565475773.jpeg

1646565484733.jpeg

1649152964619.png

Last edited:

airmail

Updated my bass EQ - bit of a beginner. Wharfdale Linton's crossed at 80hz with a single SB1000 pro (until my second one gets warrantied). No smoothing. Will try 60hz at somepoint to reduce sub localisation but was having phase issues.

Edited FR response.jpg

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi, I have a question for the gang. I am just curious, not trying to solve a problem or something like that.
See below the measurements of my two separate channels using pink periodic noise, RTA, mmm technique. There is eq under 300 Hz to tame a couple of room modes at 40-50 Hz that otherwise would go out of the charts:
1648195058393.png

As you can see, there are a few dips, but with a couple of exceptions they are not coincident between channels.
And now this is my question. If I measure exactly the same but both channels simultaneously (blue line. using the R+L noise signal generated by REW) I get these massive dips at ca 98Hz and 180-200Hz that were not there when measured separate channels:
1648195450256.png

What is going on here? Just an artifact of the measurement? Speakers cancelling each other?? Anything to worry about or time to put the umik in a drawer and forget???
Thanks for your comments.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just use Audyssey EQ of subs at the moment, reducing a 47 Hz main peak (below 100 Hz). No EQ above 100 Hz.

Audyssey av LR.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Hi, I have a question for the gang. I am just curious, not trying to solve a problem or something like that.
See below the measurements of my two separate channels using pink periodic noise, RTA, mmm technique. There is eq under 300 Hz to tame a couple of room modes at 40-50 Hz that otherwise would go out of the charts:
View attachment 195080
As you can see, there are a few dips, but with a couple of exceptions they are not coincident between channels.
And now this is my question. If I measure exactly the same but both channels simultaneously (blue line. using the R+L noise signal generated by REW) I get these massive dips at ca 98Hz and 180-200Hz that were not there when measured separate channels:
View attachment 195083
What is going on here? Just an artifact of the measurement? Speakers cancelling each other?? Anything to worry about or time to put the umik in a drawer and forget???
Thanks for your comments.

Phase response of the left and right speakers likely exceed 90 degrees so they effectively cancel each other out (to varying degrees) at certain narrow areas -- it's likely related to the room modes and boundary interferences peculiar to your physical arrangement in the space.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
Phase response of the left and right speakers likely exceed 90 degrees so they effectively cancel each other out (to varying degrees) at certain narrow areas -- it's likely related to the room modes and boundary interferences peculiar to your physical arrangement in the space.
Thanks. Do you think there is something I should or could do? They sound good to me...

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Thanks. Do you think there is something I should or could do? They sound good to me...

Something like Acourate or Audiolense or even rePhase may (*partially) -- at the cost of significant FIR time delay and possible ringing -- be able to reduce some of the SPL loss by equalizing the phase. Perhaps it could work reasonably well between 150-200 Hz... however, the phase correction would only be limited at the listening position, and could cause issues elsewhere in the room. Post your left and right mdat measurement if you want me to check the phase difference...

Top Bottom