• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Share your in-room measurements?

boxerfan88

Posting the re-scaled 50dB Y-axis frequency response chart.

View attachment 362374

Over the weekend, I experimented changing the crossover delay setting to -5ms (i.e. delay mains), it changed the bass response quite a bit, therefore I had to rework the EQ.

The resulting sound is really good - seem clearer overall, and the room resonances (boominess) is lesser than before and goes away faster (especially when playing bass heavy tracks).

50dB frequency response chart:
EQ36b LR 50dB.png

step response showing the 5ms "pull forward" of the subwoofer:
Step -5ms.png

Spectrogram chart:
EQ36b Spec LR.png

Waterfall chart: (the 44Hz, 70Hz resonance amplitude after 300ms is about 5-6 dB lower than the previous configuration, 55Hz resonance almost gone.)
Waterfall LR.png

Quite fun to experiment with different settings & configurations. One might stumble upon a very nice sounding configuration.

Last edited:

napfkuchen

Here are the measurements for my living room setup. Room treatment is only basic (3 panels at the back wall) and I will have to live with it. EQ is the only option.

fr.png

waterf.png

energy.png

At 150 Hz you can see quite an outlier in the frequency diagram. This is also where the transition frequency of the speakers (mid-range/woofer) lies. The waterfall chart shows red alert below 60 Hz.:mad::p
I have created several profiles with Dirac, this is the middle one. The other profiles are +/- 2 dB between 20 and 90 Hz.
I'm only a beginner reading these graphs... Any tips on eq settings to improve the sound?

update:
Here is a comparison of fr measurements (no Dirac, Dirac with standard settings, Dirac with Harman curve +4 dB, Dirac with StormAudio curve).

fr measurements left channel.png

fr measurements right channel.png

Last edited:

er|κzvio1in

Dirac with Harman +4 looks best to me.

I notice a couple of things in the first graph:
1. big boost between 20 and 35.
2. Dissimilar high frequency response between left and right
3. Front right has regular bumps between 500-1200, that is probably placement related
4. Try to make averages of multiple measurements per speaker to filter out highly local issues
5. What's the combined response of left and right?

PeterNL

Here are the measurements for my living room setup. Room treatment is only basic (3 panels at the back wall) and I will have to live with it. EQ is the only option.

View attachment 364702

View attachment 364703

View attachment 364704

At 150 Hz you can see quite an outlier in the frequency diagram. This is also where the transition frequency of the speakers (mid-range/woofer) lies. The waterfall chart shows red alert below 60 Hz.:mad::p
I have created several profiles with Dirac, this is the middle one. The other profiles are +/- 2 dB between 20 and 90 Hz.
I'm only a beginner reading these graphs... Any tips on eq settings to improve the sound?

update:
Here is a comparison of fr measurements (no Dirac, Dirac with standard settings, Dirac with Harman curve +4 dB, Dirac with StormAudio curve).

View attachment 364825

View attachment 364826
Try also MMM measurements.
Are you sure that your measurements are after Dirac (I mean first 3 graphs) ?

Last edited:

napfkuchen

Thanks for the input to both of you. You are right both Dirac and REW measurements are not multipoint. I saw a video of Erin explaining that measurements can differ depending on which method is used (multipoint / MMM). I will try to make a 9-position-measurement with Dirac and verify it multiple measurements in REW.

Are you sure that your measurements are after Dirac (I mean first 3 graphs) ?
The first is before, the second after (with default settings), the third and fourth with different target curves.

er|κzvio1in

9 measurements per speaker might be a bit much and a lot of work. For my last configuration I used 4 measurements per speaker and vector averaged those. In REW make sure to press "cross correlate align" before making a vector average. I developed output channel filters per speaker based on those measurements and did time alignment. Then I performed moving mic measurements of all speakers combined to craft shared input filters for all speakers. I did not do anything above 300 hz but I didn't have issues in higher frequencies like you. So my recommendation is to first fix placement related issues.

Top Bottom