• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shanling UA2 Aborted Review (DAC & Amp)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
(And you know we are taking part on this forum)
I don't. I am sure I saw your alias at some point to give you the manufacturer title but it is not something I memorize. We have about 100 members of the industry here. I only remember a few of them.

jasonhanjk

I would just hope that one message to company representative (And you know we are taking part on this forum) would save everybody else time over threads like this. We get technical questions daily from reviewers around the World, even if they are not cooperating directly with us.

It would be sad if we just disappeared tomorrow after 33 years in business.

Product page of UA2 talks about companion app, mentions adjusting volume, gain and filters. We don't do dedicated notes for second hand market buyers of our devices, but might put there some note for UA2.

看来您不明白他的意思。
难道贵公司会一直更新 app 直到 33 年后吗?
就如当时 Win 98 的产品贵公司还在支持?

就从现在起,安卓一直会更新。
贵公司的 app 也必须更新,只要不更新就无法使用。
你明白吗?

现在把产品做好就无需担心到 app 得一直更新的问题。
而且不是每个用户会特地去下载 app.

Asylum Seeker

It's not broken. The forum member who sent the UA2 to Amir used the accompanying App to limit the DAC's output.
This limit is stored on the unit itself and stays active no matter what USB host you use, so that's what Amir was left with.
The Dr. has a thing for broken gear.

Saidera

Next minute we'll be conversing in native Chinese in this forum.

life.exeMPLAR

They seem to have qc issues, I bought shanling ua2 from shenzhenaudio after the release.
The whole unit was moving when pressing the button and then sometimes It would crackle so loudly I think it's shorting something inside.

drplinker

Yes, it was sent back and delivered on 07/30. If there is enough interest in community and amirm@ is able to spare time, I am sure it will get re-tested.

DamDamxD

I also was hoping for some new measurements here :(

AzM

Resurrecting this thread, I am having a similar problem with the new ua2 plus.
It seems to get it's self in a mess with some kind of wrap around volume bug (it's been described as).
My unit is now utterly messed up and I can't see a way, as suggested, of resetting it.
It now works like this (taking volumes as 0-100) and each stage 'jumps' this volume 21% = zero, volume one notch down to 20% and you go deaf instantly.
0-20 = ear splittingly loud, deafens you completely (not a miss type, volume zero to 20%)
21-60 = dead silent up to normal volume for a library.
61-80 = drops to barely audible, less than 21-60.
81-100 = decent volume but way way way way too low to hear outside.

What on earth is going on with this unit? Surely an amps should not make you go deaf when turning the volume DOWN?

Example

Frankie-Shanling

Audio Company
Resurrecting this thread, I am having a similar problem with the new ua2 plus.
It seems to get it's self in a mess with some kind of wrap around volume bug (it's been described as).
My unit is now utterly messed up and I can't see a way, as suggested, of resetting it.
It now works like this (taking volumes as 0-100) and each stage 'jumps' this volume 21% = zero, volume one notch down to 20% and you go deaf instantly.
0-20 = ear splittingly loud, deafens you completely (not a miss type, volume zero to 20%)
21-60 = dead silent up to normal volume for a library.
61-80 = drops to barely audible, less than 21-60.
81-100 = decent volume but way way way way too low to hear outside.

What on earth is going on with this unit? Surely an amps should not make you go deaf when turning the volume DOWN?

Example
If I see correctly, that's UAPP? This app acts a bit differently to others when it comes to controlling volume of USB DACs.

If you try running it with our Eddict player app or other apps, do you experience the same issue?

AzM

If I see correctly, that's UAPP? This app acts a bit differently to others when it comes to controlling volume of USB DACs.

If you try running it with our Eddict player app or other apps, do you experience the same issue?
It is UAPP yes.
The reason for this is that UAPP bypasses the android resampling system and treats the UA2 as a DAC, but im sure you know this :)

As I've said above, I've tried using eddict and this uses the android audio stack, this does NOT exhibit the same fault and the volume scales as it should.
I cannot use eddict player on windows however, nor on the AP80.

Note however, one of the videos is using it on an AP80 as a USB dac, thus hardware control and the same problem DOES exist, the AP80 does not use UAPP.
I also tried it on a samsung tablet via UAPP and it DOES have the same problem.
I have since tried it as a DAC in windows and it DOES exhibit the same problem.

This means one of two things is true:
UAPP on oneplus 11, UAPP on Samsung tablet, USB dac mode in windows 11 and USB DAC mode in the HIDIZ AP80 mp3 player all share the same hardware volume bug in controlling volume in the UA2 plus.
-or-
The UA2 plus, as the single common thread between all of them, has a VERY dangerous volume bug?

Imagine turning the volume DOWN, as per the video, then getting that noise as recorded at a distance blasted directly into your ears via an IEM? that is what happened to my ears and I dont know where I go next with this as I feel this is a very dangerous bug?

Frankie-Shanling

Audio Company
It is UAPP yes.
The reason for this is that UAPP bypasses the android resampling system and treats the UA2 as a DAC, but im sure you know this :)

As I've said above, I've tried using eddict and this uses the android audio stack, this does NOT exhibit the same fault and the volume scales as it should.
I cannot use eddict player on windows however, nor on the AP80.

Note however, one of the videos is using it on an AP80 as a USB dac, thus hardware control and the same problem DOES exist, the AP80 does not use UAPP.
I also tried it on a samsung tablet via UAPP and it DOES have the same problem.
I have since tried it as a DAC in windows and it DOES exhibit the same problem.

This means one of two things is true:
UAPP on oneplus 11, UAPP on Samsung tablet, USB dac mode in windows 11 and USB DAC mode in the HIDIZ AP80 mp3 player all share the same hardware volume bug in controlling volume in the UA2 plus.
-or-
The UA2 plus, as the single common thread between all of them, has a VERY dangerous volume bug?

Imagine turning the volume DOWN, as per the video, then getting that noise as recorded at a distance blasted directly into your ears via an IEM? that is what happened to my ears and I dont know where I go next with this as I feel this is a very dangerous bug?

At this time this is the only report of such bug. In such case we would recommend reaching out to your seller for warranty on this unit.

Top Bottom