• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shanling UA2 Aborted Review (DAC & Amp)

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hear you. I have been having really bad luck with stuff that doesn't work the last few months. I go through all the effort but nothing to show for it....
Not true. You still weeding out the junk so we don't buy it. Not a full review per se, but if it's broke Not worth reviewing or taking chances.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@amirm that you aborted the review because of this is totally understandable.
That you returned the package before posting the review, making the others' attempts at saving this review futile, is a bit disappointing.
It looks like this could've been fixed with their companion App, in probably less than two minutes.

drplinker

Ah, I wonder if they made a mistake and are shipping them with the internal gain set too low. I already returned the unit or I would have tried it with their Android app.
Duh! I checked on app, gain was set to low, max volume set to 80 (out of 100).

After changing gain to high and max volume to 100, Shanling UA2 is sound painfully loud.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If it performs like this because the gain was set low in the app for usage with IEM I think you should just remove this review. This is unfair to the manufacturer.

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
@amirm that you aborted the review because of this is totally understandable.
That you returned the package before posting the review, making the others' attempts at saving this review futile, is a bit disappointing.
It looks like this could've been fixed with their companion App, in probably less than two minutes.

These things should work out of the box correctly . I am personally getting so tired of needing to install an app for everything these days. To my oppionion manufacturers only like to gather private info with those apps with little to no added value for the device.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
These things should work out of the box correctly . I am personally getting so tired of needing to install an app for everything these days. To my oppionion manufacturers only like to gather private info with those apps with little to no added value for the device.
Who says it didn't work out of the box? It's on loan from a member who changed the settings before sending it in. @drplinker are you the one who send it in?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had a few things from Shanling over the years, no idea how they measured but they have all been nicely made and durable products which worked fine. If this is indeed an issue with an App setting then I'd also consider it unfair and misleading to keep up

drplinker

Who says it didn't work out of the box? It's on loan from a member who changed the settings before sending it in. @drplinker are you the one who send it in?
Yes, I am using it with Beyerdynamic DT770. I did download the app when DAC was new and deleted as it was useless and forgot about it.

I am very sorry for misleading Amir and to all members for wasted time. I am sending DAC to Amir tomorrow.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yes, I am using it with Beyerdynamic DT770. I did download the app when DAC was new and deleted as it was useless and forgot about it.

I am very sorry for misleading Amir and to all members for wasted time. I am sending DAC to Amir tomorrow.
Don't worry about it, stuff like this can happen. Just want to make sure we aren't pulling Shanling through the dirt because of something silly like this.

Vini darko

Major Contributor

Glad the issue is found thanks for sending it back in. Hopfully it'll put in a good performance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I hear you, but what it really should do is work as the instructions that accompany it say it should . If instruction #1 is download and install app- then . yup.....

EDIT- just read the last posts in the thread- its was setup prior to sending to Amir. If it behaves anything like the E1DA devices with their companion apps, if you set the max volume limit low, the device stays low regardless of what other device you attach it to. Without the companion app to either reset the device or change the max output, a reviewer of used items will get this issue

Last edited:
Last week I went to the Japanese E-Earphone to listen to UA2 but the product exhibited for their testing purposes are also completely inactive with my Galaxy S8. :facepalm:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If it performs like this because the gain was set low in the app for usage with IEM I think you should just remove this review. This is unfair to the manufacturer.

Agreed. If reviewing used items the sender needs to be clear what settings the device might have enabled and/ or amir needs to be aware how to restore to out of the box state. Looks like the device is working as intended for the owner - and as you would wish it to, retaining important parameters like volume limits between different connected devices to avoid nasty volume shocks on a device with no visible volume knob/ display

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

you mean these things should blow up IEMs and destroy people's hearing out of the box?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Thanks for sending it back. Results should be interesting.

I would love to see this guy tested:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29512

295121.jpg

Could be the portable DAC to slay most or all others. They can often be purchased on sale for $60.

Top Bottom