• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shanling UA2 Aborted Review (DAC & Amp)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is an "aborted" review of the Shanling UA2 portable DAC and headphone amplifier "dongle" (adapter). It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $85.

The UA2 looks like any other dongle except that it has an unusual button to change USB mode from 1 to 2:

Shanling UA2 Review DAC and Headphone portable amplifier.jpg

It has both balanced (2.5mm) and unbalanced (3.5mm) outputs which is nice.

EDIT: Updated review posted:
The reason this is an aborted review is that no matter what I did, I could not get anything close to the rated output:

Shanling UA2 Measurements DAC and Headphone portable amplifier.png

Switching to balanced out doubled this to just 0.1 volt.

Playing with Windows volume control would make a difference between zero and roughly 50% but nothing above that. I hooked up a Sennheiser HD650 to it to make sure there is no instrumentation error and same low volume issue persisted there.

Not sure if this is a firmware bug/regression or broken device. I have had fair number of requests to test this device so I thought I post this just in case others run into the same issue.

I will be on the look out for another one to test and should those results be different, I will update this review. For now, this is just an "FYI."

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I hear you. I have been having really bad luck with stuff that doesn't work the last few months. I go through all the effort but nothing to show for it....

BillH

Forum Donor
While some may view this review as a non-review, I think it is useful that you established the unit doesn't work "out of the box" the way most of us will use it.
thanks for the effort.

xarkkon

FlyingK

UA2 has a companion app for Android where you can adjust gain / output levels. If the owner uses IEMs I could see him turning down the output:

UA2.png

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So much effort to get to rescue this, wondering why :rolleyes:

Tks

Major Contributor
UAC1 toggle? Wonder if it has to do with getting the PS5 to recognize it as an external sound device. UAC2 isnt supported which is the majority of devices out on the market.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
UA2 has a companion app for Android where you can adjust gain / output levels. If the owner uses IEMs I could see him turning down the output:
Ah, I wonder if they made a mistake and are shipping them with the internal gain set too low. I already returned the unit or I would have tried it with their Android app.

Top Bottom