• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SFP - Finisar - Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch

TRDK

Currently I use a Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch (GS110-8-HW-EU) with Startech Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-LX10 Compatible SFP Module - 1000BASE-LX - 1GbE Single Mode Fiber SMF Optic Transceiver - 1GE Gigabit Ethernet SFP - LC 10km - 1310nm - DDM Cisco Meraki MS225, MX400, MS250 in my setup.

There is a lot of talk about Finisar SFP FTLF1318P3BTL using Fabry-Perot Laser should make a difference when using SFP in the audio world.

I don't understand why and I am not sure if a Finisar SFP FTLF1318P3BTL would work in a Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch

THX

Torben

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
There is a lot of talk about Finisar SFP FTLF1318P3BTL using Fabry-Perot Laser should make a difference when using SFP in the audio world
I can't think of any engineering-based reason why there would be any audio benefit from changing SFPs.

Crearis

Literally both SFP plugs use 1310nm FB Laser.

It will work in a cisco switch, they are both built to the same spec.

But why tho?

Where did you read such bullshittery?

OP
TRDK

TRDK

Where did you read such bullshittery?

There many post about the topic. Here is one:

Torben

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If a SFP is compatible with a switch be it Meraki or any other , it makes no difference in sound. Switches makes no difference. Switches and a $10 dollar swi
Check the Cisco/Meraki site for compatibility.

Please don't fall for the audiophoolery of special "Audiophile Ethernet Switches" and cables and ...
You don't even need 1 Gigabit speed for Audio, 10 Mb/s is all you need actually e a bit less :)
Even if you were to stream 384 KHz/24 bit files you would not need more than 10 Mb/s so 100 Mb/s is overkill for most audio files (pun intended), let alone 1 Gb/s with is 1000 Mb/s.. enough to carry almost 10 stream of 384/24
Use any inexpensive switch from TP-Link even those <$20.oo TP-Link or equivalent switches, it will make no difference in your audio applications...

Peace.

Last edited:

Crearis

But will the SW/Firmware be compatible?

Torben
Depens on your switch. Technically and functionally they are the same plug. But i know of some switches form Cisco having a vendor lock, so that you have to use a Cisco plug.

You can only try. Still it will make no difference.

Torben

"FTLX1475D3BTL -> Industrial Grade ($$$) This model is in highest specification with better quality on laser components and better build with various tests. The result is ultra low latency on signal transfer for Audio. Image is more refined and details. "

This is a level of incompetence I have rarely seen.

That whole thread is pure brainrot.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Audiophile Style are notorious for encouraging voodoo thinking. Relying on those kind of places for technical insights will be... risky.

They are great for unfiltered enthusiasm, but all impressions are treated as originating in audible sound wave differences, even when the likelihood is non-existent.

OP
TRDK

TRDK

Audiophile Style are notorious for encouraging voodoo thinking. Relying on those kind of places for technical insights will be... risky.

They are great for unfiltered enthusiasm, but all impressions are treated as originating in audible sound wave differences, even when the likelihood is non-existent.

But that is not the only place. Have look here:

"Finisar FCBG110SD1C03 AOC - The first thing that stands out on the Finisar is the veil over the sound of the Keystron and 10Gtek has been replaced by a sense of transparency. You can really hear into the music and soundstage. There is a slightly weighter sound that adds to the realism of all instruments ......"

It this really strange.

Torben

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
But that is not the only place. Have look here:

Yeah, there's plenty of online communities out there having a love affair with blissful ignorance.

Sticking to the idea of "everything matters" makes the hobby a lot more enjoyable than if you have to respect the boring realities of physics.

Crearis

The "audiophile" community is similar to the homeopathic crowd.

We can detect gravitational waves by shooting lasers down 4 km long tubes ( https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIGO ).

But humanity is not able to measure the end result between different ethernet cables or sfp plugs.

But audiophiles can tell by using their EARS.

We can only tell you to ignore those forums and save your money.

Focus on room acoustics and speaker placement / EQ.

dorakeg

I don't understand why and I am not sure if a Finisar SFP FTLF1318P3BTL would work in a Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch

Its best you check with the manufacturer. Cisco products can be a little picky when it comes of their add-on modules. Its possible that the SFP module may not work if its not considered Cisco compatible or cisco certified.

Top Bottom