• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setup for music and gaming.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

Music reproduction is sound reproduction. Gaming audio is also sound reproduction. Great sound is great sound. :) There's no such thing as a "gaming speaker", if that's what you mean.
Does the Genelecs plug directly into the MOTU M4 and the sub into the speaker?

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No. The sub connects to the interface, and the speakers connect to the sub. Here's a schematic based on a popular Genelec subwoofer. A bit more channels, but you get the point. :)

But again; make sure you NEED a subwoofer before you buy one. They're not mandatory. :)

7050b_bass_management_faq.jpg

OP
lostone98

lostone98

No. The sub connects to the interface, and the speakers connect to the sub. Here's a schematic based on a popular Genelec subwoofer. A bit more channels, but you get the point. :)

But again; make sure you NEED a subwoofer before you buy one. They're not mandatory. :)

7050b_bass_management_faq.jpg
Sorry to be pain but if don't have the sub woofer can I still plug the speaker themselves. This should be 101 knowledge I know :)

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry to be pain but if don't have the sub woofer can I still plug the speaker themselves. This should be 101 knowledge I know :)

Yes, you don't need the subwoofer to enjoy active monitors. They work just fine without one, but won't extend as deep into the bass frequencies. But, and this is a big but(t), a speaker that plays down to, let's say, 50hz will still have proper bass. It just won't have ALL the bass. :)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
What setup do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
It's complicated.

For the headphones I use Topping D10 -> Geshelli Archel 2 Pro -> Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
For the speakers it's RME Digiface -> 2x Topping D50
Then -> Benchmark AHB2 for the satellites (speakers are DIY)
and XTZ Edge A300 for the subwoofers (subwoofers also DIY)

I correct both via EqualizerAPO. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for the microphone and also a Behringer ADAT Pre that I use for measurements with the Digiface. It's not really a setup I would recommend for other people. If you wanted to have something similar but much easier just get an RME Fireface and be done with it.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren't the Genelecs more suitable for music reproduction then gaming?
There's no such thing as a "gaming speaker", if that's what you mean.

There are definitely speakers which aren't gaming speakers though. Some active speakers use FIR filters for phase linearization which may improve the sound a hair, but at the cost of much higher latency. Just fine for mixing and mastering, or even videos if you have a lipsync adjustment, but not for gaming or live music applications.

None of the Genelecs have this problem though. Their cheaper models are all analog and ther more expensive DSP models use a light touch for very low latency.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

There are definitely speakers which aren't gaming speakers though. Some active speakers use FIR filters for phase linearization which may improve the sound a hair, but at the cost of much higher latency. Just fine for mixing and mastering, or even videos if you have a lipsync adjustment, but not for gaming or live music applications.

None of the Genelecs have this problem though. Their cheaper models are all analog and ther more expensive DSP models use a light touch for very low latency.
Is a KEF LS50/Meta ok?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is a KEF LS50/Meta ok?

Yes, they are passive, so there is no latency at all. The same goes for any active speakers which are all analog.

It's like comparing an old CRT monitor to a new LCD/OLED. Any old CRT has no perceptible latency because it's all analog with nothing being buffered in processing ICs while now you have to take care to find specific gaming monitors with low latency processing.

Unless you can find measurements to prove otherwise, you also want to avoid "consumer" focused wireless and "lifestyle" speakers like the KEF LSX and LS50 Wireless which can have considerably latency, even on the analog inputs.

Anything passive or all analog will be just fine.

Offler

I would just recommend to keep the budget on the lower part of the spectrum around 1000 pounds.

Windows is quite finicky. Getting good quality of CD/DVD/BD should be ok. Getting good sound from streaming apps, browsers or games is bit more complicated task.

OP
lostone98

lostone98

I would just recommend to keep the budget on the lower part of the spectrum around 1000 pounds.

Windows is quite finicky. Getting good quality of CD/DVD/BD should be ok. Getting good sound from streaming apps, browsers or games is bit more complicated task.
Won't be using any disc formats :/

Flak

Industry Insider
Here is an Atmos setup for gaming :)

Top Bottom