• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setup for Gaming Room (PC) - Advice for Active 2.1 speaker please?

PusBesar

Hello!

My gaming room is 3,5m x 3,5m with 3m height. The PC is in the next room with all the cables such as monitor and usb hub routed through the wall into this room. My listening distance is 1,2m - 1,5m because I had 32" monitor so it's inconvenience to sit too close to the monitor

I live in Indonesia where some speakers might not exist at all in the market or available but in extreme price.
My budget is about 3000$ for the setup but I'll be happy if it less.

Here's my option for 2.1 setup (available in store without pre-order):
Kali IN-8 V2 and Kali WS12 = 1800$
Genelec 8030C and Genelec 7050C = 2400$

Neumann KH120 is 2100$ (pair) in Indonesia. If I go with KH120 should I pair it with subwoofer from the other brand such as SVS SB1000 or SB2000? or is it worth to go for KH750 which is about 2000$ in here?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Honestly, at a maximum of 1.5 m I may be tempted to try the IN-8v2s by themselves, at least at first. The WS-12 gets you about half an octave more on the bottom end (along with enough bass level to tear the house down), but we're talking 8" 3-way speakers that'll dig down to about 43 Hz (-3 dB) / 36 Hz (-10 dB) as-is and that a bit of EQ could flatten out to at least 40 Hz. (If you don't have a measurement mic, I would definitely add that if you're spending this much to begin with. If you already have an audio interface for the speakers, that may accept a Sonarworks SoundID Reference, which I imagine should be fairly commonly available across the globe... I wouldn't necessarily imagine the same for a Beyerdynamic MM-1.) That's actually fairly deep already. Even a majority of boom and rumble should be happening above that point.

It is certainly possible to use very deep rumble for envelopment in games, but I was unable to find any data on how common this actually is and what the standards are for highpass filtering (if any). I know that in music production a highpass of about 40 Hz is common, as lower-frequency content tends to create more problems than it's worth.
Neumann KH120 is 2100$ (pair) in Indonesia. If I go with KH120 should I pair it with subwoofer from the other brand such as SVS SB1000 or SB2000? or is it worth to go for KH750 which is about 2000$ in here?
SVS is a bad example, no balanced I/O in sight anywhere on these guys. You could probably use the WS-12 though (or other similar studio subs), as it has balanced input and output, a wide range of level adjustment and a number of generic crossover settings (I would try 80 or 100 Hz).

OP
PusBesar

PusBesar

Honestly, at a maximum of 1.5 m I may be tempted to try the IN-8v2s by themselves, at least at first. The WS-12 gets you about half an octave more on the bottom end (along with enough bass level to tear the house down), but we're talking 8" 3-way speakers that'll dig down to about 43 Hz (-3 dB) / 36 Hz (-10 dB) as-is and that a bit of EQ could flatten out to at least 40 Hz. (If you don't have a measurement mic, I would definitely add that if you're spending this much to begin with. If you already have an audio interface for the speakers, that may accept a Sonarworks SoundID Reference, which I imagine should be fairly commonly available across the globe... I wouldn't necessarily imagine the same for a Beyerdynamic MM-1.) That's actually fairly deep already. Even a majority of boom and rumble should be happening above that point.

It is certainly possible to use very deep rumble for envelopment in games, but I was unable to find any data on how common this actually is and what the standards are for highpass filtering (if any). I know that in music production a highpass of about 40 Hz is common, as lower-frequency content tends to create more problems than it's worth.

SVS is a bad example, no balanced I/O in sight anywhere on these guys. You could probably use the WS-12 though (or other similar studio subs), as it has balanced input and output, a wide range of level adjustment and a number of generic crossover settings (I would try 80 or 100 Hz).
Thank you for your advice!

I'll go with Motu M2 + Sonarwork.

If somehow I found JBL 308P and LSR 310s at reasonable price, which one do you think I should go with?

MadMaxx

I recently replaced all my PC audio gear with a pair of Adam Audio A7V monitors and Sub8 subwoofer. I'm thrilled with the sound for my music and games, If the A7V are too big, Adam has a smaller version, the A4V.

A4V: https://www.adam-audio.com/en/a-series/a4v/
A7V: https://www.adam-audio.com/en/a-series/a7v/
Sub8: https://www.adam-audio.com/en/subwoofers/sub8/

2023.png

OP
PusBesar

PusBesar

MadMaxx

Thank you so much for your advice!

Is that 32" or 42" monitor?
You're welcome! Glad to help.

Monitor is a 43" Samsung 4K TV. I'm probably going to get the new LG OLED 42" if I find a good Black Friday sale.

OP
PusBesar

PusBesar

You're welcome! Glad to help.

Monitor is a 43" Samsung 4K TV. I'm probably going to get the new LG OLED 42" if I find a good Black Friday sale.
How far you sit from the monitor? I'm planning to get 32" (Gygabite M32U) or maybe 34" (Alienware) but I just feel that I might have to sit 1-1,2m away to get the optimal viewing angle and not hurting my eyes. Considering the distance is why I'm looking for midfield speaker.

MadMaxx

How far you sit from the monitor? I'm planning to get 32" (Gygabite M32U) or maybe 34" (Alienware) but I just feel that I might have to sit 1-1,2m away to get the optimal viewing angle and not hurting my eyes. Considering the distance is why I'm looking for midfield speaker.
I sit about 3 feet from the center of the monitor.

Top Bottom