• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setting up Kali LP-6v2’s for PC music/gaming

ronnzi

Hi, everyone!

I’m on a quest to build a top-tier audio setup for my PC. I don’t do any content creation or anything - this is going to be mainly for use as a music/gaming setup for my office.

Initially I bought a pair of Edifier MR4’s to use with a MiniDSP DDRC-24 (with Dirac) for integration with a Monolith THX 8inch sub. The system sounded pretty good with EQ (I used PEQ settings calculated via this site and Erin’s Audio Corner before running full-range Dirac). That said, I couldn’t help but feel like I need something that will play a little louder.

As a result, I decided that the Edifiers are going to move to another room now, and I ordered a pair of Kali Audio LP-6-V2’s to run with the sub woofer and Dirac MiniDSP setup.

Obviously I know I’ll have to play with dip switches once I get the LP-6v2’s, and I already purchased ISO-200 stands to get the speakers properly positioned.

That said, are there any EQ settings that the community has calculated for these that I should run though, like I was doing with the Edifier MR4’s?

Since these are better speakers than the Edifier’s without EQ, I suppose I’ll experiment with full range vs partial Dirac corrections as well, though I typically prefer full range.

Anyways, though I would check with everyone. Thanks for your input!

OP
R

ronnzi

Hmm seem to have answered my own question finally by finding this thread -

Does anyone know if the only thing that changed between the v1 and V2’s of the lp6’s is the amp noise? Just want to make sure these EQ numbers are still correct. Assuming they are, it sounds like I should apply the PEQ filters (I’ll probably go with Pierre Aubert’s), then adjust dip switches, and then finally run Dirac on top of everything.

staticV3

Master Contributor
OP
R

ronnzi

Here's a PEQ preset for the LP-6v2 based on anechoic data from EAC: https://www.spinorama.org/eqs.html?sort=date&reverse=false&search=Kali

That being said, I don't see much reason to use it. The LP-6v2 is already very flat out of the box.
I’ll try the one you posted, as the ones I linked to earlier seem to be for the v1’s. Not sure what the differences are, but your link shows different values for the v1’s and v2’s, so I’d rather be safe. Since I have the MiniDSP, they’re really easy to implement so I give them a try.

Thank you!

OP
R

ronnzi

staticV3

Master Contributor
in the pull-down menu it lets you select “automatic EQ (IIR)”, “graphic EQ 15 bands” and “31 bands”.

Which ones should I use in my MiniDSP?
Use the PEQ (automatic EQ) whenever possible.

Edit: Oh and keep in mind that the preset I linked is only valid if all dip switches on the Kali are left at default, as that's how the speaker was measured:
Screenshot_20230521-142015.jpg
Source

OP
R

ronnzi

Edit: Oh and keep in mind that the preset I linked is only valid if all dip switches on the Kali are left at default, as that's how the speaker was measured:
View attachment 287041
Source

View attachment 287041
Source
Awesome, good to know. That makes it easier for me actually. Since I’ll be running Dirac for room correction anyways, I’ll just leave all the dip switches at default, correct the speaker itself a little with these PEQ settings, and then correct for the room with Dirac.

OP
R

ronnzi

Awesome, good to know. That makes it easier for me actually. Since I’ll be running Dirac for room correction anyways, I’ll just leave all the dip switches at default, correct the speaker itself a little with these PEQ settings, and then correct for the room with Dirac.
Hopefully last question. Just realized I’ll be using RCA, not the XLR. Is it likely to be much different in response between the two?

UPDATE: Thinking about this some more, I would imagine XLR vs RCA shouldn’t impact frequency response at all. If anything, it might just impact distortion numbers and the like. Let me know if I’m right on this. Just making sure the PEQ filters will accurately translate to RCA use.

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:

Hopefully last question. Just realized I’ll be using RCA, not the XLR. Is it likely to be much different in response between the two?

UPDATE: Thinking about this some more, I would imagine XLR vs RCA shouldn’t impact frequency response at all. If anything, it might just impact distortion numbers and the like. Let me know if I’m right on this. Just making sure the PEQ filters will accurately translate to RCA use.

Thanks again for all your help!

RCA will give you possible noise/interference. XLR is balanced and will prevent it.

OP
R

ronnzi

RCA will give you possible noise/interference. XLR is balanced and will prevent it.
Yep, I knew that, but I wanted to make sure using RCA when the spin measurements were taken via XLR wouldn’t affect or invalidate them for my use case. Doesn’t seem like it would, but just making sure.

Looks like I’m all ready to go once the new speakers arrive. Thanks again for the input!

ratnermi

Just curious, what's the point of "correcting the speaker" if you are correcting for the room anyway?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Great question!

There is a distinct difference between the two and not all speaker or room problems can be corrected with EQ. So EQ should always be thought of as the final tweak and not to compensate for major speaker or room problems.

Back to your question when you EQ the speaker you are doing just that, only the speaker. If it is something that can be done with EQ it will have an effect on both the direct and off axis sound. When you EQ the room you are adjusting a response that is a combination of the direct and reflected sound.

For the lay person it might seem that adjusting the final (room) response is all that is needed but unless one knows what is causing the problem they could make the overall sound worse. In fact it won't take much of a search to find people that prefer the sound without EQ versus with it engaged.

This happens with many receivers/processors room correction/EQ. They take measurements of the room in a few locations and they take their best educated guess at what is causing the problem and then decide to apply EQ or not. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't sound as good.

In this instance the dip switches are correcting for room problems based on the speaker's placement which hopefully Dirac can do instead.

Erik With a K

View attachment 287041
Source
I recently picked up a pair of LP-6 v2s and applied the Automatic EQ (IIR) from Spinorama to EqualizerAPO. I was hoping I could learn what the difference between the Automatic EQ (IIR) and the 31 Band is. When I was using my Edifier MR4s the Automatic EQ seemed to be too harsh when compared to the 31 band. I tested both on the LP-6s and didn't find much difference as these monitors are already quite flat out the box.
eq_compare.jpg

Top Bottom