• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setting up - advice and/or thoughts with an existing backbone

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
I’m still struggling and reaching out for advice on the needed or recommended components. I’m not computer savvy enough for an HTPC and have never streamed audio except pandora in a car vis Bluetooth from a phone.

my remnants which are decent include:
-11speakers
-amplifiers (7x)
-3 sub’s
- CD player

new components acquired so far:
-new 4K hdmi 2.1 tv
-blue ray 4/8k atmos etc player

im struggling with the AVR/AVP, DAC (needed or not?) and music server/streamer.

regarding a DAC or AVR/AVP I just want it to work and work well with very good audio - not good but very good. My understanding is I need the AVR/P to do the movies and new video formats so I expect I will need to obtain one (anthem/monolith/demon/emotive/a ram/etc). while my questions here are not which products; rather how to implement the needed or recommended components pls feel free to comment or expand - I need help - hopefully before spending.

noting the above (if I am correct and need an AVR/P) is there a need or measurable benefit to include a DAC like a topping D90 or SMSL / etc? If yes - why, and how would I integrate the DAC with the AVP/R?

For streamer / music server: an example of my struggles for a streamer/server includes I was considering a NAD M50.2 (S&S has refurbished ones at around 50% off) or the vault 2i. My challenge for me here is how do I interface with the possible AVR/AVP? I understand I can bypass the blue sound DAC. Would I be best served going to the AVP/R and using this in lieu of the internal DAC? Interestingly I have been exchanging emails with. NAD. Here’s the last excerpt:

8ByeyS8N4QHQ2CCXjrOOD2R3P5NlxrJ8MhTBzArHg16PA5upYkIzmIgyKHERdoIrereTyeo1s2x50eFJy1wYJZg1ICwvA4pqFnZwh8gs6K7I=s0-d-e1-ft

Jade L. (NAD Electronics)
Jan 22, 2021, 3:35 PM EST
Hello Doran,

Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Crew regarding your interest in the M50.2!

Please find the answers to your questions below:

DB: It is now a very old unit. The NAD firmware updates while current have had little specifically for the m50.2. I am concerned it is a dated unit and am hesitant to purchase as I’d expect it has been left behind.​
NAD: This is true. The NAD M50.2 was one of the very first devices to support the BluOS Software. Since then, there have been a number of new products and releases. You can trust the BluOS will continue to support the M50.2. However, the hardware could be approaching end of life.

I highly recommend that you look into the Bluesound Vault 2i: https://www.bluesound.com/products/vault/

DB: Can I send the data stream to an external DAC and / or a PrePro’s internal DAC via USB?​
NAD: No, the USB can not be used as a digital audio output.

DB: Same question but can I go to the PrePro via HDMI and is this the highest quality from the m50.2?​
NAD: All of the M50.2 digital outputs are equally high quality. Optical, Coax, and HDMI are all capable of outputting 24bit/192kHz audio.

DB: Can I add an external usb drive to expand the library and draw from the external and internals content in a mixed/mixing format - and also integrate streaming so I can blend/mix the internal external and streamed content out to the DAC/system?​
NAD: Yes and yes. I recommend that the external USB drive has its own power source as the USB ports on the M50.2 may not have a high enough voltage to power larger drivers in addition to data transfer over just the USB connection.

Please note that the Bluesound Vault 2i is a condensed version of the NAD M50.2. It has all the same features in regards to an external USB library, high res digital outputs for external DAC's, streaming, and it is a much younger product.

It does not have internal drive redundancy like the M50.2 but there is a backup option for creating your own redundancy.

I hope this helps! I'm going to mark this ticket as solved.

Kind regards,

I was totally surprise NAD basically said forget about our expensive master series; after this response the M50.2 sounds like a pass. So if I obtained a vault 2i and want to bypass its DAC do I go to the AVR/p and am done or do I insert an external DAC in the stream - and where - between vault and AVP/R or is it beneficial or even possible to bypass vault DAC pass thru AVP with no conversion and place the DAC here? Then how to I control volume speakers etc. seems messy? Maybe wring as well.....hence my struggles.

final is does the streaming service go to vault type of product or the AVP - I believe the vault? (Vault To AVP?)

im still not certain of the need for the DAC and if yes then why where and how?

in conclusion: how to setup the system as like many a do everything but audio priority in this single system?

if anyone cares to help my understanding and or make suggestions or offer options to consider - thank you

Top Bottom