• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setting a turntable

Schubert1

Hello everyone. I am an audio noob, so please bear with me.

I have a pair of Adam Audio T5V active speakers and recently I bought a turntable for my record collection.

I have a problem connecting the turntable to my speakers.
My turntable is Pro-Ject RPM 4, and has no preamp. I bought an external preamp.

It has red and white RCA iutputs, while my speakers have red unbalaced output und XLR balanced ones.

My problem is that when I connect the rca output(red and white cable) to my speakers via 3.5mm cinch and red and black XLR cable, the sound comes only from one speaker. When i switch the cables, the other speaker works.

Any help would be appreciated!

Peace, Dino. :)

Tremolo

A lot of confusion. Preamp has outputs and active speakers have inputs. You have to connect the red rca from the Preamp to the rca input of the right speaker, the white to the left speaker.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Looking at the rear of the speakers, you have an unbalanced input:

1653044221490.png

So place the speakers where you want them and use an RCA cable from the left output RCA of the phono amp to the left speaker and vice versa.

On most equipment, a red RCA socket is typically right and black or white the left, but on the speakers, it's irrelevant as both speakers are the same and are left or right depending on where you place them.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
First off your Adam speakers have one RCA and one XLR. Either can be used, but you don't need both. Your preamp has a red and white RCA output with red for right channel and white for left channel. Each Adam apparently has a red RCA input. So connect the TT to your preamps phono input. Then connect your preamp outputs white to the left Adam (it will still plug into a red rca on the Adam), and red RCA to the right hand Adam (where it also plugs into the red RCA on the Adam). You'll have two channels feeding two speakers and get stereo sound.

@Count Arthur beat me to it and with pictures.

OP
S

Schubert1

Hello everyone. I posted a question about my turntable and getting the sound only from one speaker. I bought, as suggested, new RCA cables.
I used white and red outputs on my Preamp and only RCA outputs on my speakers.
I still get the sound only from one speaker and the other is humming.

Any additional help would be great!

Thank you guys!
Dino

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone. I posted a question about my turntable and getting the sound only from one speaker. I bought, as suggested, new RCA cables.
I used white and red outputs on my Preamp and only RCA outputs on my speakers.
I still get the sound only from one speaker and the other is humming.

Any additional help would be great!

Thank you guys!
Dino
Post a photo of the back of your pre-amp.

OP
S

Schubert1

With and without the cables. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 16541887403406521728357083816153.jpg
    16541887403406521728357083816153.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 16541887983003158087963728860659.jpg
    16541887983003158087963728860659.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 106

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With and without the cables. Thank you in advance!
Okay. pretty hard to miss wire that setup. I think I see little switches on the speakers between balanced and the rca's. Those are down?

Maybe try one speakers at a time with the rca red then the left to see if both speakers work. If so then the problem is either your TT or the preamp.

OP
S

Schubert1

The thing is, when I switch the cables, only the red one always works. The red output on the preamp. But I tried with two preamps, the same story. :-(

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Flip the wires on the TT to the pre and see if the TT is the problem

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you have confirmed both speakers work but only on the red lead?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
S

Schubert1

I tried now the cables, switched them on preamp and on the turntable. Whenever I use the white slot, that speaker does nlt work. Inky on the red.

OP
S

Schubert1

But, I also tried the second preamp that I have. The same problem. Only the red port works.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you confirmed that the TT white and red works on the pre red?

If it does then there is only one answer.

OP
S

Schubert1

I switched both RCA cables, the ones that I used from the turntable to the Input on the preamp and the ones that I used from the output on the preamp to the speakers. Both cables work only when the preamp is connected to the speakers via red port.

Sorry for takong your time and I appreciate your help!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I switched both RCA cables, the ones that I used from the turntable to the Input on the preamp and the ones that I used from the output on the preamp to the speakers. Both cables work only when the preamp is connected to the speakers via red port.

Sorry for takong your time and I appreciate your help!

Swap the cables between the turntable to the preamp as shown below and report back. Also, check the connections to the cartridge.

TT R --> Preamp R
TT W --> Preamp W

and

TT R --> Preamp W
TT W -- Preamp R

Martin

Top Bottom