• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setting a budget for speakers

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
So... My car costs around $8K and the monitors I want cost around $8K so Its definitely out of my league at the moment especially because I don't work because of Covid-19 and would need to use my savings.
I could live with cheaper monitors ( let's say Genelec 8050) but on the other I can't let go of my dream! (8351B)
How do you set a budget for your audio hobby?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d say if you have to start with a system that is short of your ideal, buy components that will hold their value on the used market. When eventually your finances are such that you can move forward with an upgrade, you’ll recoup a good amount of your initial outlay to put towards your next system.

tuga

Major Contributor
So... My car costs around $8K and the monitors I want cost around $8K so Its definitely out of my league at the moment especially because I don't work because of Covid-19 and would need to use my savings.
I could live with cheaper monitors ( let's say Genelec 8050) but on the other I can't let go of my dream! (8351B)

Bad time to use your savings. Unless you have a source of income other than your job.

You don't need $8K monitors, nobody does.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it's easy. Right now I have no money, so my budget is $0 :(
Well, a budget of $0 gets you nothing. If You're not too sensitive regarding hiss go for the JBL 305, used if possible. It's probably the best relationship between SQ and price and affordable at less than $250.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

I first ask myself "What is insufficient about what I have now?"

That's usually enough to forestall any immediate greed.

(As for the list below, that's accumulated over a long period of time, with many of the more expensive pieces bought used)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
How about considering a headphone system? SOTA for $400..

HE400i. $179
Balanced cable $42
Qudelix 5k $110

Source, if needed: LG Rebel TracFone $29.
OTG USB 3-wire charging cable $10 est.

$360 total..

The Qudelix includes a nice 10-band PEQ. Sufficient 'oomph' to drive HE400i. bt if you like it.

This is my bedside setup, btw. Quite happy with it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
On the other hand, sometimes you just gotta get what you want.

jcebedo11

I would buy used if possible. that way you can sell for the same or a small loss if you do need to sell them. My best advice is to re assess what you really need. To me I would never spend that much money on audio gear even if I can afford it. Also with speakers, your room can have a greater effect in sound quality. For example, the Genelec in a room with bad acoustics will sound worse than a JBL 305p in a room with good acoustics.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Since you dont work anyway why not sell your 8k car to purchase the 8k monitors? Seems like a good idea to me
That was my first thought. Step one, do a Google search for "can I live out of my monitors."

I mean, maybe...

img_0

I've gotta tell y'all, over the years I climbed the studio-fi mountain almost all the way to the top, and you know what I realized? The better the equipment, the more I was listening to the equipment and hearing problems with the music. I still have nice gear, but right now I do the majority of my recreational listening on equipment that cost less than a Benjamin, and sometimes I write on it too. (Wouldn't mix on it, though. ;))

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That was my first thought. Step one, do a Google search for "can I live out of my monitors."

I mean, maybe...

img_0

I've gotta tell y'all, over the years I climbed the studio-fi mountain almost all the way to the top, and you know what I realized? The better the equipment, the more I was listening to the equipment and hearing problems with the music. I still have nice gear, but right now I do the majority of my recreational listening on equipment that cost less than a Benjamin, and sometimes I write on it too. (Wouldn't mix on it, though. ;))

What are those? :eek:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
@RayDunzl is right. Those are just my go-to mental image for human-sized monitors. I've never heard a pair but I suspect they're the ones you pick out when you want to show the client the volume knob and leave the facility for a while.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Incredible. I knew Tannoys could be big, but hadn’t realised they got quite that big lol

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Well, a budget of $0 gets you nothing.

I know, and that's why I'm just gonna stick with what I got until further notice :D

One of my personal rules in life: If I don't have any money I'll only spend whatever little I have on the bare necessities.

Spending other people's money (as in taking loans just for the heck of it) is like pissing in you pants to keep you warm.

If You're not too sensitive regarding hiss go for the JBL 305, used if possible. It's probably the best relationship between SQ and price and affordable at less than $250.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sensitive to hiss. I can live with my crappy headphone setup till I get out of the finacial slump ;)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Killingbeans I’m sorry to hear that. Hope you’re ok longer-term and have ppl near to you to support you if things don’t start turning around soon.

Thankfully, in terms of audio at least, modest headphones and EQ can get you a long way :)

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

Audio has always been a hobby of mine, however I never spend that much money on it. I got into watches (don't do this) so that seriously raised the price I was paying for nice to have things over time. Some day I realized I spend so much time on audio, but comparatively little money, so then vinyl and a Benchmark AHB2 happened.

That said. Most expensive speakers I ever bought were KEF LS50, but I've built several DIY and even more subwoofers. I also listen in the nearfield and don't need huge volume.

From my experiences at dealers, dimishing returns for speakers start around 2k. You can get wonderful speakers between 1-1.5k. I mean I want 8351B. For sure. But is worth it?
You could buy 8050B for a lot less.

Speakers are one of the weakest links in the chain, and it makes sense to spend money here, however, once you climbed the inital hill, any additional performance comes with a high price and then there's also all the audiophile companies that sell bad speakers for a lot of money.

So how do you set a budget. I think on the lower scale, there is a certain quality that is required. I would put this at KEF LS50 or KH120 level, so above 1k for a pair new. And then you haven't solved the bass problem, or in the case of LS50 gotten an amplifier. But that is only my POV and I don't want to shit on people who don't want to or can't spend that. I started out with bad equipment, but the love for music makes it good right. That said. Try to go into a dealer and buy a good pair for 600. You might get lucky on a sale, but most of the time, it won't work. IMHO.

On the upper scale. One one hand I see hifi as a requirement like energy and water. On the other hand, how good does it need to be.

I sit in my car 2hrs a day on a bad day. I listen to hifi longer than that if I can. I think a good hifi will last longer and require less maintenance than a car. However a basic car is much more expensive than a basic hifi.

I don't know. If you buy 8351B will that itch be scratched? I went through a couple of watches until I got my current one, and now I don't care anymore. I'm done. I bought the AHB2, amplifier problem = solved.

It's not a good idea to go 0 to 100 60 on these things either. You need to collect experience along the way. I'm rambling, but I hope it helps :p

Top Bottom